We should of made a run at Jessie Armstead | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We should of made a run at Jessie Armstead

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
Derrick Rodgers needs to re-negotiate, too

Derrick Rodgers is an average OLB at best and is supposed to make 1.6 mil in 2002 while a 5x pro bowler Armstead:

"11:46 PT: Updating an earlier story, Len Pasquarelli reports for ESPN.com the details of the contract agreed to with the Washington Redskins by former New York Giants LB Jessie Armstead are: a three-year, $4.5 million contract that includes a signing bonus of $1.25 million and base salaries of $750,000 (2002), $1 million (2003) and $1.5 million (2004). "

Armstead is far superior to Derrick, we s/b looking at Farrior and cutting Derrick if we cannot get his cap # down.

NO MORE RENEGS!!

I disagree, are we going to reneg everyone/s contract?? We need to keep Derrick, and quit trying to fix things that aren't broken!!

That goes against Wanne's philosophy of always looking to improve the team in any way possible, 84.
I just wonder what kind of cap hit we'll take if we cut Rodgers. Probably pretty severe.:(

from clumpedplatelet
in http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2509&perpage=15&display=&pagenumber=2

Cutting Rodgers ADDS $650,000 to the 2002 cap if released before June 1st. Why? Because his remaining bonus amortization is accelerated into the 2002 league year. $750,000x3=$2.25 million minus $1.6 million slary=$650,000

If released after June 1st, Rodgers counts only 1 yr of bonus amortization of $750,000 but you'd save the $1.6 million salary. His "dead cap" in 2003 would be $1.5 million(remainder of the bonus amortization), however, his salary is scheduled to be $2.1 million, so Fins would save $600,000 on 2003 cap.

That wouldn't improve anything. Pretty soon all our players are gonnna get pissed for having to reneg there contracts every damn year. I think our players, even though they make tons of $$$$ have been pretty generous to reneg so many times for the team, and when contracts are reneg. we still don't use that money for anything of use, I.E James Mcnight, Ray Lucas, Dedric Ward etc...

you both have good points, but we can re-neg his contract and guarantee some $ if we want to keep him to make him happy and improve the cap, a la 2 much better players in Pat and JT, but it seems like we would not do anything with DR until 6/1 anyway.

Originally posted by chambers84
That wouldn't improve anything. Pretty soon all our players are gonnna get pissed for having to reneg there contracts every damn year. I think our players, even though they make tons of $$$$ have been pretty generous to reneg so many times for the team, and when contracts are reneg. we still don't use that money for anything of use, I.E James Mcnight, Ray Lucas, Dedric Ward etc...
I don't think any of the players are getting hurt by reneging their contracts, if they were, there is no way they would do it. It's just part of the business now, every team is doing it.
Farrior would definately be an upgrade on Derrick Rodgers.

Originally posted by inFINSible

I don't think any of the players are getting hurt by reneging their contracts, if they were, there is no way they would do it. It's just part of the business now, every team is doing it.
Farrior would definately be an upgrade on Derrick Rodgers.
case in point - Elvis Grbac - he did not like what the Ravens wanted to do so he was cut rathe than re-neg.

I was also comparing Rodgers contract with that that Armstead just signed for less and:

Armstead, 31, has made the Pro Bowl for five consecutive seasons and has not missed a game in his nine-year career

I honestly think we should of released Rodgers and signed Jessie Armstead. Armstead went to the University of Miami and he has some connections with the great city of Miami, and he isn't going to make that much money. I am disapointed that we didn't make a run at this cheap Pro Bowler.:(

Yeah too bad he went to Washington. I'm kinda surprised Spurrier took him, considering he's attempting to create an all Gators professional football team.:rolleyes:

39 IS RIGHT ON!!

I couldn't agree with you more 39 about Derrick Rogers! He is A total waste of cap space! He might be the most overrated DOLPHIN on the team! Just think you could take his worthless ass salary and put it towards someone who actually makes plays like BROCK MARION!! Instead of someone who makes a tackle and acts like he just landed on the moon, because he is surprised he actually made the tackle!! Jesse would have been a MAJOR improvement over Derrick Rogers! You have to remember he didn't play linebacker in college so his inexperience is definately catching up with him!! The outside LB position is the weakest position on the DEFENSE!! REALITY FOLKS!! We must address it!ZACH CAN'T MAKE ALL THE TACKLES!!

Back
Top Bottom