We wont have to trade up to land our QB, and here’s why | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We wont have to trade up to land our QB, and here’s why

I wouldn't trade up for Tua. If he's there at 5 then we take him, if not we can take Herbert, Love or the best player available that fits our needs. If we don't grab a QB at 5, I'd be down fr Eason later in the 1st. He's got the size and the arm made for the NFL. Could be the steal of this years draft.

I've said it before but the wildcard team to jump us is pretty obvious.

It's the Raiders. 1) Moving to new city, wants to fill seats w star young prospect. 2) Gruden has a hard on for any QB with Tua's resume. 3) they have more picks than any other team becides us in the draft. 4) Gruden does not believe Carr is a franchise QB. 5) Mayock and Gruden are TV personalities who love the spot light. Trading for Tua is very splashy in the media world.

The Raiders are the biggest threat.

I've said it before but the wildcard team to jump us is pretty obvious.

It's the Raiders. 1) Moving to new city, wants to fill seats w star young prospect. 2) Gruden has a hard on for any QB with Tua's resume. 3) they have more picks than any other team becides us in the draft. 4) Gruden does not believe Carr is a franchise QB. 5) Mayock and Gruden are TV personalities who love the spot light. Trading for Tua is very splashy in the media world.

The Raiders are the biggest threat.

That's interesting and a possibility if they feel strong enough about Herbert or Tua i suppose. Or, one thing that hasn't been talked about is if the Bengals for some reason doesn't pick Joe burrow, whether because they actually prefer Herbert or Tua, or because Burrow doesn't want to go there.

But other than that the two reasons that I think the Raiders won't jump to 3 or 4 from like 12 I think is:

1. If it's for Tua, he can't play for a year anyways, probably. Real expensive for a player who can't even play next year. If it's for Herbert, then I guess they really love him enough to trade away all of their first and second round picks maybe more in the next two drafts?

2. But... Gruden has never liked Rookie QBs as a coach. He likes veterans if you look at his coaching track record. I think it more likely they could do the following:

A. Sign Tom Brady
B. Pay the price for signing DaK Prescott off of the Franchise Tag if you want to trade valuable draft capital, it would be cheaper and more of a sure thing.

Or, they can draft a developmental prospect later in the draft, maybe move up for Jordan Love who has tremendous upside and they wouldn't have to move up to number 3 for him, they could potentially trade with Carolina at 7 and take Love if they were so inclined, much cheaper, and a very high ceiling. They could sit him behind Derick Carr this year, and then let them compete for the job next year and trade carr, not sure what the market would be for him, but it would certainly light a fire under his arse.

But then again, who knows?

Yeah they have openly admitted they will try to sign Brady. I just do not see him going to such a crappy team in a division with Mahomes. He wouldnt make them a playoff team and I think Brady knows that.

What if Gailey prefers Love to all the other QBs? Could we trade down from five and still get him or is that playing with fire?

If the cowboy's don't work out a deal with Dak and have to tag him I can see them selling the farm to move up for Tua.

Assumptions, smoke screens, skullduggery, and nincompoopery are common this time of year. It’s the draft baby!

1st Assumption: A super talented QB with durability questions long term is someone that everyone is going to trade the farm for to jump in front of us to pick.

Not certain about that. I think that it’s possible that Herbert And Love without trading up and spending valuable draft resources/capital are better options for most teams, (including us) than trading up for Tua. Or, I’m cool with drafting Tua, if he falls to us without having to trade for him if the coaching staff thinks he’s the best available player/QB.

How many teams are a threat to trade in front of us, or take a QB before us?

Washington Redskins. Doesn’t make sense to give up on Dwayne Haskins yet. Their best option is to draft highest rated prospect on their board, which is probably Chase Young, and ride with Haskins for a full year at the helm. Either Haskins will show progress and instill confidence that he could be the guy, our he will implode, and the redskins will be in position to draft a QB 1 next year when Trevor Lawrence and others are coming out. % they draft a QB? Far more unlikely than likely. %chance someone trades for their pick to jump in front of them? Also low, the Lions and Giants picks can be had for a cheaper price, no need to jump in front of the Lions.

Lions. Management is under the gun to win immediately. Their best chance of winning is for Matthew Stanford to come back and for them to set him up with players who can help them win now. They need to either trade back and acquire more picks, or draft the best player available on their board who can help them win now Or they may be unemployed next year, and that stands for both Patricia and their GM.

New York Giants. Daniel Jones is their guy. They don’t need to draft a QB, they have many other holes they have to address here. They will either trade down, or draft the BPA.

So, who does that leave who is a threat to trade ahead of us?

San Diego Chargers. They draft behind us. They could trade up to 3 or 4 if they feel that strongly about Herbert. Doubt they would trade that far up for Tua who has the Durability risk when they can stay put and draft either Tua, Herbert, or Love (Whoever’s left) without trading any draft capital. This is because of an analysis of the following teams who need QB’s potentially badly enough to trade up:

Carolina Panthers. A possibility, but based on what I’ve heard, it is more likely that they roll with Cam Newton this year. Seems like they may be confident in him coming back from his injuries. Now, this could change, but there is a very realistic chance they stay put and draft one of the top QB prospects if they fall to them, or they could draft an incredible player if Bengals, Dolphins, & Chargers all draft QB’s in front of them, then they are left with a very impressive group of talented non QB Players. I believe they will roll with Cam next year And maybe draft a QB later, or sign a Free agent like Teddy Bridgewater or someone else to back up Cam Newton. Besides, at this point it is highly likely that either Love or Tua will be available, so someone can either trade up here or select one of them whoever is available without spending the draft capital to trade in front of us, including the Panthers.

Jaguars. A young prospect will come in handy, but with Foles contract and Minshew in the fold, I doubt it makes sense for them to pay the price it will take to move up ahead of the Dolphins to draft Herbert, or a Durability risk QB, or Jordan Love. I think they have to go one more year with Foles/Minshew and deal with a new QB later in the draft or next year.

Raiders
. At this point the cost starts to get prohibitive to jump from 12 to 3 or 4, I.e. in front of us, and the Raiders still have Carr, not sure how they feel about him, they could trade him, not sure what they would get for him, they could go after Tom Brady, or another veteran to compete with Carr, Gruden historically doesn’t like rookie QB’s. but you never know.

Colts. They are built to win now. They will likely go Free agent route with Philip Rivers looking like a solid fit there, possibly even Brady. Unlikely to trade up for a rookie QB and pay the price that it would take from the 13th pick, but you never know.

Broncos
. They are desperate for a QB. Elway has failed so much with his rookie QB’s I believe he would rather go the free agent route, but you never know if there is a prospect that he feels so strongly about that he would mortgage the next 2 drafts to move up from 15 to 3 (in front of us is all I’m concerned with) to draft.

Again, this is just analysis based on what information is out there, not pretending to know anything or have inside knowledge, just looking at each team’s situation and applying logic that seems reasonable to me. But, the draft is unpredictable, so we’ll see how it shakes out, but I don’t think we need to trade valuable assets that we traded good players for to get one of the top 4 QB prospects in this draft, and I think Tua still is promising but risky and unnecessary to trade valuable draft assets to select if we want him, and Herbert and Love might be more highly regarded amongst the teams picking than the rest of us think and that Tua’s durability risk makes is less likely that a team will trade too much for him, but you never know.

totally agree

While we're at it, let's discuss other things that can possibly happen because that's really useful on a message board.

Hey, guys. We should draft Fromm at 5. Dude's a total winner so we could definitely go 16-0 this upcoming season.

Bengals could trade the #1 pick for Tom Brady.

We could give up every pick we have to take Jalen Hurts.

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

I get your point, but the question to Locke was "If there is any kind of medical setback Tua is not getting drafted in the first round?"
The obvious answer is 'yes.' Locke's response was "Saying this over and over again won’t make it true." That, to me, is rubbing against denial. You appear to be a sane guy. I'm sure you agree there are medical setbacks that can affect Tua's rank status.

I don't care how much people refuse to admit it, a medical setback is possible. I don't care how much people refuse to admit it, Tua's progress is going very well and a setback would take an unusual event. I don't understand why either side can't accept that

All of this is null and void due to the Arizona Cardinals last year. They broke through the glass ceiling on taking QBs until you find "your guy". Hell, if I'm the Giants I think about taking Tua, sitting him for a year, have a QB battle the following year and trade off the loser for a 2nd or 3rd. QB is THAT important.

Dude that post lowers your lifetime average by too much....

to EVER recover from.... LMFAO! :p

You have much to learn young grasshopper.
No, sure. Please list me our total of playoff wins in both of their careers combined.

I get your point, but the question to Locke was "If there is any kind of medical setback Tua is not getting drafted in the first round?"
The obvious answer is 'yes.' Locke's response was "Saying this over and over again won’t make it true." That, to me, is rubbing against denial. You appear to be a sane guy. I'm sure you agree there are medical setbacks that can affect Tua's rank status.

I don't care how much people refuse to admit it, a medical setback is possible. I don't care how much people refuse to admit it, Tua's progress is going very well and a setback would take an unusual event. I don't understand why either side can't accept that
If there's a medical setback sure he'll drop, but I don't believe that was part of the post. If it was then I read it too quickly and missed it so that's my bad.

IF someone gives up a significant amount of draft capital to move up for Tua is would be an unusual event.

I can't think of a team moving up into the top 3-4 to take a guy with so much durability concerns.

He may be perfectly healthy by draft day, all checked no, nothing to keep him from being ready to go.................but he still had 3 serious injuries in a short time, both ankles and what should be a freak hip injury for a player his age.

You have to worry about his durability going forward.

If the cowboy's don't work out a deal with Dak and have to tag him I can see them selling the farm to move up for Tua.
Also the Patriots are a team that might sell the farm as well. They don't have a ton of extra stuff to offer, but if Brady goes bye-bye they are a team that would do it with what they could put together.

If Tua's medicals are positive with no dead cells as they say, and its all true (no politics)...he would be taken by the Bengals or Redskins.

A generational talent would be taken by anyone.

IF someone gives up a significant amount of draft capital to move up for Tua is would be an unusual event.

I can't think of a team moving up into the top 3-4 to take a guy with so much durability concerns.

He may be perfectly healthy by draft day, all checked no, nothing to keep him from being ready to go.................but he still had 3 serious injuries in a short time, both ankles and what should be a freak hip injury for a player his age.

You have to worry about his durability going forward.
Stop regurgitating that his ankles were serious injuries. They weren't. He missed a whole 1 game combined.

That said, of course people are worried about his durability going forward, but the risk of him getting hurt is no different than drafting another QB and risk them getting hurt AND having to play better than they've played in their college career to make it worth it.

Back
Top Bottom