We wont have to trade up to land our QB, and here’s why | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We wont have to trade up to land our QB, and here’s why

How can you be sure of what the teams ahead of you are going to do? How do you know what the teams behind you are willing to do to get ahead of you? Sure you can gamble, but you damned well could come out of this thing looking really stupid.
You can’t be sure of what the teams ahead of you might do, that is fairly obvious. Heck, the Redskins could pull what the Cardinals did last year and decide to trade Haskins and draft Tua. The Dolphins are in a position where they need to rebuild the majority of their roster. So trading a lot of draft picks to move up for an injury prone QB makes no sense at all.

If they can move up and get Tua for the 5th pick and one of their 2nd round picks, that would be a fair trade to me. Yet there is no way I would give up the 5th pick plus another 1st round pick to move up and draft Tua. Prior to his hip surgery that might have been a good trade but after his hip surgery and his two ankle surgeries, two number one picks is far too much IMO.

I get your point, but the question to Locke was "If there is any kind of medical setback Tua is not getting drafted in the first round?"
The obvious answer is 'yes.' Locke's response was "Saying this over and over again won’t make it true." That, to me, is rubbing against denial. You appear to be a sane guy. I'm sure you agree there are medical setbacks that can affect Tua's rank status.

I don't care how much people refuse to admit it, a medical setback is possible. I don't care how much people refuse to admit it, Tua's progress is going very well and a setback would take an unusual event. I don't understand why either side can't accept that
Anything in the world is possible, of course. And a bad medical report would cause any player to drop.
That doesn't make the post any less troll-ish.

Yeah, you could take 5 of them for example, and turn around and trade them for Trevor Lawrence next year LOL
The Lions will likely have the first pick next year and they aren’t going to be trading that pick no matter what.
What if Gailey prefers Love to all the other QBs? Could we trade down from five and still get him or is that playing with fire?
Gailey has never developed a young QB in the NFL. He prefers a veteran QB to run his offense and the last veteran QB to run his offense before he left the NFL was Fitzpatrick. If they were worried about developing a young QB next season, the last person they should have hired was Gailey.

Can’t argue with your expectations for what constituted progress.

You were never going to see anything positive in him regardless of the situation.

I’m not banking my future on the kid but he’s got some arm talent and a chance. Good enough for me.

I agree that if you can somehow get Joe Burrow, it’s a no brainer.
I will see positive in him when there's positive in him. Were his circumstances less than ideal? Sure.

Welcome to the NFL. Put up or shut up.

Any time you are obsessively & TOTALLY focused on ONE player....

It is really no longer a 'draft strategy'.

It is all about one player which is a recipe for disaster in the NFL.

I wonder if any of you guys so fixated on TT even watched any of the Dolphins games last season?

Here's the Cliffnotes summary.... They SUCKED. They don't need a superstar QB...

They need almost an entire ROSTER OF BETTER PLAYERS

Like I said in my post, I don't care who the QB is, just go get him.

Yes, I prefer Tua, but I want the Fins to identify the guy they want (whoever it is) and GET him.

Don't wait for him to fall to them.

Last edited:
Anything in the world is possible, of course. And a bad medical report would cause any player to drop.
That doesn't make the post any less troll-ish.

I agree, but I'm struggling with "troll-ish." It appears to me there are those who want Tua so bad, they throw around phrases similar to 'Tua WILL BE elite,' or 'Miami has to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to get him.' No room in there for even the most remote chance of being wrong. To be fair, there are those throwing around worries Tua will be in a wheelchair by draft day (I exaggerate). These people debate endlessly and accuse the other of being unrealistic, when, in fact, both are. Doesn't make them a troll, only unrealistic.

Regardless, it is part of the debate about where Tua will be picked and if Miami HAS TO move up. Both sides have reasonable positions, but both sides contain a lot of 'ifs.' Give me a side and I can argue in favor of it. I know it's obvious and I know people don't want to wait, but these threads will be a lot closer to reality after FA

Good post. I would love to think that Miami could stay put and get Tua, assuming he's their target.

I could see scenarios where the Dolphins stay at #5 and Burrow, Tua and Herbert are all gone, though.

I believe the Raiders and Chargers are the most likely teams to move up. Las Vegas has two #1 picks and I can't see Gruden being happy with Carr for another year.

I also think there's an outside chance that Washington takes Tua even though they drafted Haskins last year.

I think if Miami is sold on Tua, they will need to move up. If the Dolphins stand pat then that likely means they feel good about Herbert and Love.

So much thoughtful analysis put forward and this is what you take from it?

Point I'm trying to make is that sure, Tua is a good prospect. I like him and would be fine drafting him. However, i think it would be a mistake to trade valuable draft assets that we traded away good players for to take him because of his durability risk when the truth of the matter is, I also think the ceilings of Herbert and Love are potentially quite high, and I'm not sure that our front office hasn't also come to what seems like the same reasonable conclusion and that any of those 3 QBs would be promising and one of them will absolutely be available to us if we simply stay put.

Also, that there are so many assumptions that if you dig deep and consider each team who needs a QB's situations behind us, it looks less likely that there will be too many of them who think they need to jump up to 3 to grab a QB, either Herbert, or Tua, especially when there are also some very good free agent options available this year and some of those teams (Bears, Colts, for example) are built to win now.

It's not an anti-tua thread at all, I'd be fine if we drafted him, I just think it's going to be unnecessary to trade up to get him and I would also be happy with the potential of Herbert or Love, both of whom seem to have high ceilings and all the tools necessary for good coaching to unlock their potential.
I get your drift, but what I'm saying is if you like a QB (any qb) at 5, then you should like him at 3 or 2 or 1.

I'm not talking about 2nd round or later project guys, but potential franchise qbs.

I'm tired of watching us play games at the position and always coming up short.

Find your guy and get him!

Also the Patriots are a team that might sell the farm as well. They don't have a ton of extra stuff to offer, but if Brady goes bye-bye they are a team that would do it with what they could put together.

Dont think so...it appears they may lose there first round pick this year for the filming incident.

What if Gailey prefers Love to all the other QBs? Could we trade down from five and still get him or is that playing with fire?

Yes, and Yes.

Let the draft begin. I bet they pull a larger audience then some of the national presidential party debates this year!

Reactions: BSQ
I agree, but I'm struggling with "troll-ish." It appears to me there are those who want Tua so bad, they throw around phrases similar to 'Tua WILL BE elite,' or 'Miami has to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to get him.' No room in there for even the most remote chance of being wrong. To be fair, there are those throwing around worries Tua will be in a wheelchair by draft day (I exaggerate). These people debate endlessly and accuse the other of being unrealistic, when, in fact, both are. Doesn't make them a troll, only unrealistic.

Regardless, it is part of the debate about where Tua will be picked and if Miami HAS TO move up. Both sides have reasonable positions, but both sides contain a lot of 'ifs.' Give me a side and I can argue in favor of it. I know it's obvious and I know people don't want to wait, but these threads will be a lot closer to reality after FA
There are some that go overboard on both sides, for sure. In this instance I believe the post in question was done purely for a reaction.

Without question the tone from those that want Tua has been that there is no price too steep to pay to get him... That is pretty fooking scary.

Back
Top Bottom