Week 1 Game Recap- Pff | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Week 1 Game Recap- Pff

I spent most of the morning finding all the replay tape I could find. I too was impressed with Kindley. He looks like he didn't get the memo on slimming down to play this system, but he has solid hand placement, a real nasty streak, and when he gets his hands on you, you're toast. If he ever took football serious enough to lose some weight he could still be salvageable, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It appears as it he swallowed a bus. Deiter played solid on the plays he was in but the worst player I saw over and over was Kion Smith #76. He was completely overmatched and had ZERO awareness on stunts and twist. He looks lost out there. Coleman didn't have a great outing either but he showed a lot of improvement over last year. He played at about the same level Jackson played OT last year before getting moved inside, which wasn't good. Coleman did have some very good reps though and he wasn't as bad as some have said IMO. Robert Jones also didn't have a great game. It was his missed block that caused the hit on Ahmed in the backfield. Robert also had trouble figuring out who to block at times and before he could figure it out both options were by him. I had high hopes for Robert but right now I would feel much better having to play out a game with Coleman being forced to play LT than Robert Jones playing OG.

Pankey has never been someone I have been high on but he may have found his best chance at center. He has very little mobility but is quite strong at the POT. He stands guys up and doesn't give much ground, solid anchor, vs big DTs. He isn't good or really a solid backup yet but I think center is his best chance to make it in this league. If he can understand the line calls he may end up being hard to cut. As it stands there is apparently a big issue with Deiter being unable to make line calls or he would be the starting center and the Conner Williams disastrous experiment would be over.

I think our best OL is Armstead, Williams, Deiter, Hunt, Jackson. I wish we would have gotten to see more of Kellen Diesh. Don't really see a lot of OL improvement over last year except for Coleman, and Jackson but we didn't have all our starters. Basically Skylar put up the numbers he put up behind roughly the same sort of dumpster fire Tua had last year. Speaks volumes about just how well Skylar played. I really loved Skylar's poise and leadership out there. He looked like he belongs in this league, with time and improvement he could maybe become a starter in this league. A lot of potential. Just imagine if he had Waddle and Cheetah and the starting OL out there.
Thanks for the analysis. I haven't seen the game, but was specifically interested to hear how the offensive line played.

I do think it's too early to give up on Williams at center.

I spent most of the morning finding all the replay tape I could find. I too was impressed with Kindley. He looks like he didn't get the memo on slimming down to play this system, but he has solid hand placement, a real nasty streak, and when he gets his hands on you, you're toast. If he ever took football serious enough to lose some weight he could still be salvageable, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It appears as it he swallowed a bus. Deiter played solid on the plays he was in but the worst player I saw over and over was Kion Smith #76. He was completely overmatched and had ZERO awareness on stunts and twist. He looks lost out there. Coleman didn't have a great outing either but he showed a lot of improvement over last year. He played at about the same level Jackson played OT last year before getting moved inside, which wasn't good. Coleman did have some very good reps though and he wasn't as bad as some have said IMO. Robert Jones also didn't have a great game. It was his missed block that caused the hit on Ahmed in the backfield. Robert also had trouble figuring out who to block at times and before he could figure it out both options were by him. I had high hopes for Robert but right now I would feel much better having to play out a game with Coleman being forced to play LT than Robert Jones playing OG.

Pankey has never been someone I have been high on but he may have found his best chance at center. He has very little mobility but is quite strong at the POT. He stands guys up and doesn't give much ground, solid anchor, vs big DTs. He isn't good or really a solid backup yet but I think center is his best chance to make it in this league. If he can understand the line calls he may end up being hard to cut. As it stands there is apparently a big issue with Deiter being unable to make line calls or he would be the starting center and the Conner Williams disastrous experiment would be over.

I think our best OL is Armstead, Williams, Deiter, Hunt, Jackson. I wish we would have gotten to see more of Kellen Diesh. Don't really see a lot of OL improvement over last year except for Coleman, and Jackson but we didn't have all our starters. Basically Skylar put up the numbers he put up behind roughly the same sort of dumpster fire Tua had last year. Speaks volumes about just how well Skylar played. I really loved Skylar's poise and leadership out there. He looked like he belongs in this league, with time and improvement he could maybe become a starter in this league. A lot of potential. Just imagine if he had Waddle and Cheetah and the starting OL out there.
Great post!

A number of times I saw him directing WRs and making pre-snap reads. The West Coast offense he ran at Kansas State was NFL complex, and his ability to command in the NFL was on full display.

I really hope that Deiter can establish himself at center, so Williams can move back to LG where he belongs. I agree that Armstead, Williams, Deiter, Hunt, Jackson has to be our best line combo as of now. If we roll with Williams at center, we might be weakening two positions - center and LG (Eichenberg).

Still a long way to go before the games count. I’m no expert, so if Williams stays at center, I’m going to trust the staff, I guess.

QUARTERBACK

• Skylar Thompson finished with an efficient statline of 20-28 for 218 yards with a touchdown and no interceptions.
  • His statline doesn't tell the whole story, though, as he didn’t have much in the way of impressive plays (zero big-time throws from 34 dropbacks).

RUNNING BACK

• Myles Gaskin led the way in the Dolphins running back room with four carries for 27 yards.
  • The rest of the Dolphins running backs combined for -3 rushing yards from seven carries, as they couldn’t find many lanes to run through.

RECEIVERS

• Lynn Bowden Jr. — who has reportedly been on the trading block during training camp — put on quite the showcase for the rest of the league. He was on the field for four pass plays, was targeted on all four of them and hauled in three for 55 yards, including a score.
  • Both Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle didn’t play in this one.

OFFENSIVE LINE

• Solomon Kindley did his best to vie for a starting guard spot, as he didn’t allow a single pressure across 23 pass-blocking snaps.
  • Former first-rounder Austin Jackson was only on the field for eight pass-blocking snaps and didn’t allow any pressures on the day.

DEFENSIVE LINE

• We didn’t see any of the Dolphins starters play on Saturday. Raekwon Davis played five snaps, but that was it.
  • Benito Jones highlighted the defensive line with three run stops on 21 run defense snaps.

LINEBACKER

• Channing Tindall showed off his athletic traits in his first game with the Dolphins, as he only allowed five total yards on two targets in his coverage.
  • Duke Riley joined Tindall in having a solid game, as he recorded two stops and didn’t miss a tackle across five attempts.

SECONDARY

• It was yet another tough day at the office for former first-rounder Noah Igbinoghene. On 19 coverage snaps, he was targeted twice, allowing a first down and a touchdown.
We already know solomon can pass protect but his major problem is run blocking

I watched the game but not closely. Their run down seems god from what I did see. Noah was the biggest disappointment, kindley a good surprise and Tindall looked better in cover than I thought he would.

Forgot to add Jackson was not in much I saw but really liked the way he was moving. To me on just 5-6 playshe looked different than a year ago
On the two completions Noah gave up: On the shallow crossing route looked like he was slightly picked in the coverage when he bumped into the lb. Not sure if he could have avoided the contact and done a beter job of staying in coverage. Shallow crossing routes are hard to defend. As for the td... still not sure if he was supposed to have help underneath and his job was to play over the top as he did or if he read it wrong and was just playing the wrong techmique/coverage and was supposed to be playing tighter man coverage on the play. Even if he was supposed to have help underneath I would have liked to see him a little tighter in coverage and maybe be in a position to drive on the wr and break up the pass. He played most of the first half and didn't get any other targets, not sure if that's because he had decent coverage on those plays or just coincidence.

Last edited:
I watched the game but not closely. Their run down seems god from what I did see. Noah was the biggest disappointment, kindley a good surprise and Tindall looked better in cover than I thought he would.

Forgot to add Jackson was not in much I saw but really liked the way he was moving. To me on just 5-6 playshe looked different than a year ago
I'm sure that was akin to a "Freudian slip", as opposed to a typo, given your propensity to rely so heavily on PFF evals....lol.

Seriously though, IMO, a fair and accurate assessment of the game.

Back
Top Bottom