Week 1 of the 1994 Season vs. New England...... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Week 1 of the 1994 Season vs. New England......

NYC#1finsfan

Active Roster
Reaction score
Airing now on the NFLN.....My first game with my shiny new DIRECTV System which at that time cost $600 for one dish and one box but boy did I get my money's worth watching #13 throw that football around!!!! #54 is Chuck Bullough & #99 Klingbeil........Oh Zach Thomas & Jason Taylor where art thou Fellers????

Last edited:
I watched shortened version of this game last week on youtube, and forgot that after Miami's go ahead TD in the 4th I was reminded that the patriots had 3 more chances to score. Great game.:up:

Epic game. I have the SI issue that came out w Dan on the cover. I remember all of the pre game pundits wondering if Dan would be any good after the Achilles. Jimmy Johnson was an analyst at the time and before the game he said “Dan Marino at 80% healthy is still better than most”. Boy was that an understatement.

Marino only needing a FG to tie, 4th and 6, RB open for the easy 6 yards and he goes for the jugular. Most QBs don’t have the balls to do that in that situation. Imagine it dropped incomplete? Only the greats could shoulder the criticism that would ensue. Only a great even attempts that throw there. Unreal.

Dan just threw his 300th TD becoming only the 2nd QB to do so. The 1st kind of surprised me.

Ah, the dreaded baseball diamond. Don't miss that s@%t!

Epic game. I have the SI issue that came out w Dan on the cover. I remember all of the pre game pundits wondering if Dan would be any good after the Achilles. Jimmy Johnson was an analyst at the time and before the game he said “Dan Marino at 80% healthy is still better than most”. Boy was that an understatement.

Marino only needing a FG to tie, 4th and 6, RB open for the easy 6 yards and he goes for the jugular. Most QBs don’t have the balls to do that in that situation. Imagine it dropped incomplete? Only the greats could shoulder the criticism that would ensue. Only a great even attempts that throw there. Unreal.

That was Dan all the way... He could throw a ball that is almost picked off, after having a rare off game all day, it's 4th down, they just need a short pass to be in FG range... and if Dan see's the opening deep, he will care less, he will let it fly...The greats have a short memory, the greats will put a game on their shoulders, and the greats believe so much in their ability, they just can't see failure.

I caught the tail end of this gem tonight as well! This was the LAST Miami team that had a true chance at visiting a super bowl. To this day I swear the movie Ace Ventura that came out mere months to their second round playoff game Sandiego, jinxed us!

After blowing the 21-3 halftime lead Stoyonivich still had one final kick. Well.....apparently laces were IN?

He makes that, they were good enough to head to the bowl which was being hosted in Miami. While a doubt they could have beaten the power house 49ers, they would have at least made it a game unlike the chargers did

The best players are often 'overconfident'. Arrogant about their abilities. If you're following 'Last Dance' on ESPN, it's easy to see that Michael Jordan was that way. So was Marino. And rightfully so.

Best game I’ve ever been to. And yes, this 1994 team was the last legitimate shot Marino had to get back to the Super Bowl and the last Dolphins team to have had a shot at getting past the divisional round. After 1994, the Dolphins are 0-3 in divisional round games and were slaughtered in each of them.

In our playoff loss to San Diego, before the possible winning kick. Marino missed a TD throw. Maybe the short routes were covered on that play but sure was a great down to pick up 6-9 more yards. Prolly wouldve won us that game. Yet, the guy Marino targeted gave Danny a chance to win it right there and Danny missed.

The best players are often 'overconfident'. Arrogant about their abilities. If you're following 'Last Dance' on ESPN, it's easy to see that Michael Jordan was that way. So was Marino. And rightfully so.

Love Dan like a long lost brother.

But there is absolutely no comparison between the two.

None.

As I have been told numerous times about basketball and football.

Love Dan like a long lost brother.

But there is absolutely no comparison between the two.

None.

As I have been told numerous times about basketball and football.

Well, respectfully, you’ve been told wrong .. numerous times. Besides, I wasn’t comparing the different sports but rather the mentality of the athletes.

Danny was every bit the confident, fearless assassin as any other all time great someone can name.

Damn dan still had those fast feet in small spaces after the achilles but he was like moving in quick sand

robbed something from him no doubt. Also I always thought his arm was stronger than that but appears on this rewatch it was his quick release that was the real game changer.

what a difference 25 years makes in terms of the athleticism and overall speed of the game. Bigger faster stronger more fluid etc no doubt

Last edited:
One of my favorite games ever. Day after first date with the gal that I end up marrying, return of Marino with question of Is he done, watching it in a sports bar with a bunch of rowdy buddies with drinks flowing. Good times...

In our playoff loss to San Diego, before the possible winning kick. Marino missed a TD throw. Maybe the short routes were covered on that play but sure was a great down to pick up 6-9 more yards. Prolly wouldve won us that game. Yet, the guy Marino targeted gave Danny a chance to win it right there and Danny missed.
I’ve rewatched that. I don’t think there were any shorter options open. That said Dan took the blame saying “I should have gotten it closer”.

The real issue happened on that first play of the drive. Marino threw a perfect in stride strike deep to Scott Miller - it’s a TD all the way. But the Charger defender alertly close lines him and draws a PI call instead of giving up the TD. Then we didn’t move the mall much further after that. Too bad cause that was 6 points all the way.

Back
Top Bottom