Week One Observations | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Week One Observations

Why are we so down on Philips? He had a slow camp and is playing catchup but athletes of his caliber will 'get there' sooner than later. The only 'flaw' I ever heard about Philips was injury concern.
Bc most people don’t understand football and think that just bc he was the 1st EGDE player drafted and in the 1st round that if he doesn’t get 3 sacks 5 QB hurries 10 tackles an INT and force a fumble that he’s automatically a bust. That’s literally what people legitimately think about first round selections. Most don’t understand that once you get past the first 5-6 picks a lot of guys selected in round 1 are selected on potential and what they will be 2-3 years down the road.

I wanted Phillips badly and think he’s going to be an all pro type of guy but I’ve stated over an over an over in here to not expect some huge impact year 1. He’s super raw with rare physical skills that need developing and seasoning. Again... most people don’t understand that bc they don’t understand how the process works.

Jason Taylor took some time to develop.
Phillips has the physical ability he just needs a few years to blossom

I think the receivers got plenty of "seperation". It was more what was being asked of them. On third and long guys weren't being asked to find soft spots in zones or anything, they all seemed to be running long developing routes which this line just couldn't provide the time for on obvious passing situations. I mean on third and long you're always gonna have some longer routes, but the team has to do more to provide outlet receivers to give the QB a chance. Everytime the pocket broke down, which happened on all but one third and long I can remember (the Waddle drop), the QB bought time but still was pressed to get the ball anywhere that wouldn't draw a penalty - taking some big hits and having that one turnover happen on an attempted throwaway he just couldn't off.
What's the solution besides having anybody on this board pick our next lineman? (I mean other than Grier)

What's the solution besides having anybody on this board pick our next lineman? (I mean other than Grier)
I mean I never thought trading your only viable offensive lineman and then having to build a new line in its entirety was a great idea - I think you need something to build around, and the last thing you should be doing is developing your young QB while the line in front of him is also learning scratch - but here we are.

I mean the first thing is just try to get positive yardage on 1st and second down to avoid as many third and longs as possible. But other than that the QB just needs to have more outlets and there need to be more players just finding the soft spot in the zone in those downs, even if it isn't 15 yards downfield. The team needs to realize its just not going to convert a ton of third and longs without a big improvement from the offensive line and not be so stubborn about it and compound our position with picks, big QB hits, and holding penalties when the QB doesn't have anywhere to get rid of the ball.

I wish I had the ability to re-watch plays like some have, but I don't have access to that. Would love to see people breaking down all those third downs.

Things looked too easy for them and too tough for us at times, hopefully just cobwebs. But it was a good gritty win.

I liked Tua's demeanor. I like that he got upset at thee refs robbing us of the free play. And I liked the heady quick snap on the long Parker completion that might have been close.

Don't know what to make of Mac Jones. That backwards throwaway was pretty boneheaded but I won't write off his career based on his first series. He does seem to have trouble controlling his nerves.

We lost Raekwon Davis in the first 3 minutes of the game. While John Jenkins came in and appeared to play serviceably, Raekwon is the big dog and can impact any game. Raekwon seemed eager to get back in the game but I didn't notice him get the opportunity.

Last edited:
I'd say that Sam Eguavoen (sp?) played well in pre-season and played well today, but I'd like to see more of him. Phillips is the future, no doubt, but I liked what I've seen of Eguavoen (sp?) so far.

The D made a play when the Pats were on there way to taking the lead. Mac Jones was dissecting the defense and Tua is definitely is the worst qb in the division, it’s not even close, all he mostly throws are short slant routes. Did you see when he kinda fell forward instead of sliding. I get a win is a win, but Tua is definitely not the answer at qb

Last edited:
The D made a play when the Pats were on there way to taking the lead. Mac Jones was dissecting the defense and Tua is definitely is the worst qb in the division, it’s not even close, all he mostly throws are short slant routes. Did you see when he kinda fell forward instead of sliding. I get a win is a win, but Tua is definitely not the answer at qb
Pats fan?

I love the win, this is what matters;
Week1_Standing.PNG
It's also interesting that all the AFC East games were decided by one score.

I am nervous about these two stats though:

NE_QBR.PNG
NE_Comp.PNG

Look who is also in the bottom six, I am pretty sure Aaron Rodgers will do much better next week.

Tua also needs to do better, a lot better....

:bobdole:
Trolling on a Monday morning is a ban-able offense

Back
Top Bottom