Weighing Options at Inside Linebaker | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Weighing Options at Inside Linebaker

playeragent26

Scout Team
Reaction score
I have read many posts that debate the point on which ILB is better suited or even is the best player in Rolando McClain and Brandon Spikes for the Miami Dolphins.

The point I would like to make is IF and a big IF is, if Rolando McClain is there at #12 he has to be our top choice; unless a Eric Berry or Dez Bryant are available (Which I highly doubt). The other option I love is C.J. Spiller-(But, that is for another post). The reasoning behind all this is we forget to remember that Brandon Spikes is not guaranteed to even be available for us at #43. Take a realisitic view on which team could nab Spikes before us in the 2nd round; picks (#26- Arizona (hey they might lose Dansby), #36 KC, #38 Browns, #41 Buffalo (now running a 3-4 defense), #42 NE (Always a risk). Do not count out the Giants at #15 (espacially if Miami nabs McClain). It would be a big risk for the Dolphins to wait for pick #43 to take the next best ILB in my mind. After McClain and Spikes I do not see a ILB worthy of starting day one for the Dolphins. Others could develop in to potential impact players down the road, but not Day 1. The draft class this year for ILB is razor thin and other players like Weatherspoon are really good LB's and good football players, I just do not see him playing in our 3-4 defense. He would get swallowed up by lineman all day in our system, he needs to be free and easy to make a play on the ballcarrier.

The potental ILB pot for developmental players:
Sean Lee, Daryl Washington, A.J. Edds, Donald Butler, Darryl Sharpton, Micah Johson. All fall in the category of developing year 1 and playing backup roles. I see players like Daryl Washington, Sean Lee, and A.J. Edds, taking place of Akin Ayodele or Reggie Torber. But again not day 1.

This philosophy gets shot to the ground of course IF Miami signs Karlos Dansby in 2 weeks. Which makes too much sense not to because Miami can have more optins in the draft. But, who is to say the signing actually happens. FA is such a hard thing to predict. I think there is way too much wishful thinking that goes in to play from other posters. To many variables to make.

I understand this whole offseaon process is one giant IF factor. But, heh thats the reason we all check out FinHeaven every day, Right!:thanks:

Please add this thread to the Draft Forum.

Not really sure how. Sorry, rookie mistake.

if we can't get dansby in FA and if we can't get mcclain at 12 then we've got to trade up to make sure we get spikes

no way around it

we simply just can't have crowder/ayodele again

i can live with dansby/crowder or mcclain/crowder...even tho the ideal situation would be dansby/mcclain

I realize trade options can happen. I just do not look at it as a real option to jump up and get Spikes. Not a risk I would be willing to take. There is too many other holes we need to fill than giving up another draft pick.

McClain at #12 is the most realistic option.

i'd rather give up a 5th or 6th to jump up and get spikes that have 2 ILBs that can't cover or tackle again

Back
Top Bottom