Well I guess the Pats found another QB. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Well I guess the Pats found another QB.

'Phins & 'Canes

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/08/15/mmqb/4.html

Or at least to hear Peter King tell it they have. Although he is a bit biased when it comes to anything B.B. related. Granted, Cassel played against 3rd/4th stringers, but he swears he'll be the real deal. Meanwhile, we'd have trouble combining our four QBs just to make just one right? :cry:

If this works out again for New England, then maybe the Dolphins need to change our strategy for finding our next QB: Peruse the QB depth charts at prominent programs for guys who learned but didn't play much for their storied schools. It worked for N.E. with Brady and....well, let's hope it hasn't worked again! :yell:

[QUOTE='Phins & 'Canes]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/08/15/mmqb/4.html

Or at least to hear Peter King tell it they have. Although he is a bit biased when it comes to anything B.B. related. Granted, Cassel played against 3rd/4th stringers, but he swears he'll be the real deal. Meanwhile, we'd have trouble combining our four QBs just to make just one right? :cry:

If this works out again for New England, then maybe the Dolphins need to change our strategy for finding our next QB: Peruse the QB depth charts at prominent programs for guys who learned but didn't play much for their storied schools. It worked for N.E. with Brady and....well, let's hope it hasn't worked again! :yell:[/QUOTE]

He was impressive in his first preaseason game, but its waay to early to make any serious judgement on his ability to be an NFL QB. That was the first competitive game the guy played in since high school.

I dont know why he stuck around so long in the draft I thought he would have been picked a little higher I always heard that he had potential..

I just wrote this in the Macmahon thread!

And look, the Pat's found another in that kid Matt Cassel, did anyone see that kid play for the Pat's?? That kid was something, and was a backup for 4 years in college.

Me and King think alike!!!;)

The Pats seem to find a lot of 7th round gems.

Wasn't Givens a 7th rounder as well?

[QUOTE='Phins & 'Canes]Well, I guess Nick didn't hear that? :shakeno:

And the 7th round no less. :eek:[/QUOTE]

actually Nick did hear that. Mia and Cassell had already come to a FA agreement during the 7th rd of the NFL draft based on the fact they thought he would not be drafted. Lo and behold, the Pats swooped in and took him from under our noses. I will try to find a link for this info but I do recall an interview with Cassell and him telling this story.

just another reason why Saban wants extra picks so this doesn't happen more often to us.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Or Flutie will retire?

I'm thinking thats a lot more likely to happen. Why cut someone like Davey who is young, knows the system and has shown potential over someone like Flutie who is there to be a veteran backup for one to two years at best.

MadLib said:
I'm thinking thats a lot more likely to happen. Why cut someone like Davey who is young, knows the system and has shown potential over someone like Flutie who is there to be a veteran backup for one to two years at best.

Short answer? Because Rohan Davey sucks.

Longer answer? He's struggled every season in his decision making processes and still has difficulties getting touch on his passes. We all hoped he'd turn his NFLE MVP season into being a capable backup for us.....but it doesnt appear to be in the cards for Rohan. At least, not in New England.

Yes, Givens was a 7th rounder. I imagine that Cassell will get a hangnail and be put on IR for the year. I believe Davey gets 1 more year to try and prove himself.

MadLib said:
He was impressive in his first preaseason game, but its waay to early to make any serious judgement on his ability to be an NFL QB. That was the first competitive game the guy played in since high school.

I agree. If you had $100 for every rookie QB in the last ten seasons who had one good outing in a pre-season game, you could buy a new Mercedes -- well, okay, maybe a Kia.

Just as a broken clock is right twice a day, mediocre QBs can have good games. Even Rob Johnson looked good in his sole pro appearance before the Bills traded for him, and AJ looked good as an occaisional sub in Philly, too -- what did the Fish give up for him? A second rounder?

There's a reason that some QBs go in the first and some in the seventh. First rate QBs (not simply starters but guys with Pro-Bowl credentials) don't come along in every draft. Even competent pros (those who can start and maybe take a team into the playoffs) aren't all that easy to find, either.

In fact, the last "great" QB draft -- one that yielded multiple Pro Bowlers and HOFers -- was in 1983 with Kelly and Marino and a couple of other decent QBs. The 2004 draft was supposed to be another "great" QB class with Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger, and Losman all going in the first round plus a handful of other quality prospects in the lower rounds, but only time will tell.

I wouldn't get too excited about a 7th rounder with one decent appearance in an early preseason game.

Crisis said:
The Pats seem to find a lot of 7th round gems.

Wasn't Givens a 7th rounder as well?

Yeah, Givens was a 7th rounder. I believe that they have alot of late round picks starting for them right now. They sure do find alot of talent in the late rounds.

Back
Top Bottom