Well Is "tank For Tua " Officially Cancelled ? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Well Is "tank For Tua " Officially Cancelled ?

I sure am hopeful that Rosen will eliminate the Tanking mind set. I very much want for him to play to the caliber of a franchise quarterback. We should ALL desire this.

I think the Tank for Tua slogan was born more out of necessity and good timing than anything else.

Truth is, I don't think they were ever tanking for one specific player. I think the plan was to put themselves in position to take a few top quarterback prospects next year.

They were going to "tank" whether Tua was a factor or not. They understand that part of their long term plan was creating more holes than they could fill. They weren't going to have an offensive line, a defensive line, or a quarterback. Winning games wasn't going to be the top priority in 2019.

Tank for Tua just gets straight to the point and bypasses all the details. Doesn't mean it's wrong though.

I think it's a result of knowing that their job isn't on the line and no pressure to try to save your job. Everybody is on the same page in terms of understanding that there's a long term plan in place. Step by step you execute it.

What stands out to me looking at the players they selected is that the focus was on Seniors first of all. Second of all, kids that played and produced for 4 years. It's easy for Grier to determine that football is important to these guys. No combine warriors - just players that are leaders, producers, smart and hard nosed kids that get the job done.

They will have to take more risks in the future. That's the nature of the job as the pressure mounts. It's all about the quarterback in the end. That's what makes or breaks 'em.

I think the Dolphins are also set up to trade their 2020 1st and both 2nd round picks plus their 2021 1st round pick to move up and draft a qb if they have to. Plus they'll have the cap space to be a factor in free agency if needed.

Just my opinion, but you can't cancel what was never there in the 1st place.

Now if you ask me if Miami was planning on getting their QB in 2020 and now with Rosen, it's over, then maybe.

I think they are hoping Rosen is the QB of the future, and will be doing all they can (under control salary wise) to help him succeed, but if he falls on his face in 2019, Miami will go all out to get another QB to compete with him in 2020 or 2021.

It’s hard to tell with a new coaching staff, of how many wins you will have. I would of thought at this time of year in 2008. You where the biggest homer to think we would win 11 games. In 2016 I still wonder how we maid it into the playoffs with that defense. So it’s not out of the realm of possibility that this team wins 6 to 8 games.

Getting the 1st pick in the draft is a death sentence for a coach. There is never a tank for next year as a coach. Because if you try you are gone and someone else gets to coach the player you tried to tank for.

The acquistion of Rosen gives hope to most of the fan base. Thats good. But when you really think about it, does it really alter 2019 much? I think Fitzpatrick would potentially win more games in 2019 than Rosen. We didnt get a second round pick in 2019 (McCoy is who I wanted). He actually went at out pick. So we dont get that starter from the second round that would have helped in 2019. I like some of the "value" we got in the trade but its still a bunch of meh to me. I will be interested in watching Rosen more than Fitzpatrick so thats good.

The Kid (Rosen) just has never been a winner and I dont see that changing much this year. At UCLA, the team was 18-20 when he was the QB. 8-5 his freshman year (Team was Ranked 13th in Preseason). 4-8 his Sophomore year (played only 6 games. team was ranked 16th in preseason). 6-7 his Junior year. In the NFL, 3-13 with the cardinals. Now I understand team records don't mean a whole lot towards individual accomplishments but its a little uninspiring when you see that Rosen hasnt been on a winning football team since 2015. Also, his stats at UCLA werent top ten worthy either. We know his first year stats in the NFL were vomit inducing.

Not! If they have the #1 pick next year I bet they draft a QB they think can be better than Rosen. It could be Tua, Fromm, or Hebert.

But why? Unless it's without a shadow of a doubt a massive upgrade why waste that draft capital? Think about it like this. If Rosen was coming out in next year's draft you would be saying "Tua, Fromm, Herbet, & Rosen". He'd be in the same conversation easily, but instead we get a year with a kid we got for a late second and that AZ paid $11mil of his salary. Why go and draft a kid who has no NFL experience, more expensive, and an unknown vs a kid who has 2 years in the league, cheaper, and known by staff?

Rosen is mechanically as sound as it gets, young, smart, and now finally with a good coach. If Caldwell spends time with him and sees his potential I'm sure we can get it out of him. It'll probably require a massive series of screw ups from Rosen to not have a solid outing under Caldwell.

So yeah, as long as Rosen isn't playing drunk I think he's around for a couple years at least. If the Fins get the #1 pick I'd say they'll trade down to put a supporting cast around him. Probably pick up a 2021 1st out if it too which could be useful for Lawrence if after 2 years the FO sours on Rosen. Even then in this scenario, Lawrence would enter a team that now has a lot of building blocks in place .

More like Lust for Lawrence. That's if Rosen pans out in few years. No way I want Tua. Tua is a bust in the making. Trust me.

Gosh I hope not. The reality is that this team is going to lose a lot. The chances of getting the wunderkind Trevor Lawrence in 2021 when lots of teams will be tanking is highly unlikely. This coaching staff can't tank 2 years in a row and survive without coaches getting fired. So if we miss the 2020 QB window, we're in it with this crew for the long haul. There is no second chance. We've stockpiled picks after the 1st round, but we're not getting back into the top 3 or so where we need to be to get one of those QB's unless we have multiple 1st, that means mortgaging the future. If the tank is off … IMHO, we've failed.

Fitzmagic is inconsistent and old, he is not the future. Lots of teams passed on Rosen, including the only team that drafted him. Nobody but us even wanted him as a re-tread. Can he change his course? Yes, … maybe. But putting all of our eggs in that basket seems like an unwise decision. We're not making the playoffs in 2019. The best we can be is mediocre. I'd rather tank, get a top notch QB and actually rebuild. The time for half-measures and patch jobs has come and gone … and it _never_ worked for us since Don Shula retired. That's a lot of attempts … and 100% failure rate. I'm interested in trying something new.

But I get it. People hear there was a QB who has the tools and was drafted in the top 10 last year, and they see stars in their eyes. They want to believe. But none of us know how he will turn out, and our window for getting a guy who probably will work out is closing. If you are asking opinions, mine is that I hope we tank in 2019, and that opinion remains unchanged from before. I get how some people may reasonably have other opinions. They have every year for decades. Who knows, this time a patch job might work.

The acquistion of Rosen gives hope to most of the fan base. Thats good. But when you really think about it, does it really alter 2019 much? I think Fitzpatrick would potentially win more games in 2019 than Rosen. We didnt get a second round pick in 2019 (McCoy is who I wanted). He actually went at out pick. So we dont get that starter from the second round that would have helped in 2019. I like some of the "value" we got in the trade but its still a bunch of meh to me. I will be interested in watching Rosen more than Fitzpatrick so thats good.

The Kid (Rosen) just has never been a winner and I dont see that changing much this year. At UCLA, the team was 18-20 when he was the QB. 8-5 his freshman year (Team was Ranked 13th in Preseason). 4-8 his Sophomore year (played only 6 games. team was ranked 16th in preseason). 6-7 his Junior year. In the NFL, 3-13 with the cardinals. Now I understand team records don't mean a whole lot towards individual accomplishments but its a little uninspiring when you see that Rosen hasnt been on a winning football team since 2015. Also, his stats at UCLA werent top ten worthy either. We know his first year stats in the NFL were vomit inducing.
His stats were no more "vomit inducing" than were Josh Allen's and Sam Darnold's And better than Lamar Jackson's

But why? Unless it's without a shadow of a doubt a massive upgrade why waste that draft capital? Think about it like this. If Rosen was coming out in next year's draft you would be saying "Tua, Fromm, Herbet, & Rosen". He'd be in the same conversation easily, but instead we get a year with a kid we got for a late second and that AZ paid $11mil of his salary. Why go and draft a kid who has no NFL experience, more expensive, and an unknown vs a kid who has 2 years in the league, cheaper, and known by staff?

Rosen is mechanically as sound as it gets, young, smart, and now finally with a good coach. If Caldwell spends time with him and sees his potential I'm sure we can get it out of him. It'll probably require a massive series of screw ups from Rosen to not have a solid outing under Caldwell.

So yeah, as long as Rosen isn't playing drunk I think he's around for a couple years at least. If the Fins get the #1 pick I'd say they'll trade down to put a supporting cast around him. Probably pick up a 2021 1st out if it too which could be useful for Lawrence if after 2 years the FO sours on Rosen. Even then in this scenario, Lawrence would enter a team that now has a lot of building blocks in place .

Because it's not that often that a team has a chance to draft a potential franchise QB with the #1 pick. Rosen is far from a guarantee that he can become that guy and he did get traded. This can't be another Tannehill situation where they wait for years to see if Rosen can live up to his potential. If you have a chance to upgrade you do it.

Here is the thing, I hope we can actually protect Rosen to see what we have. If not, he will be screwed just like we screwed Tannehill. If we don't fix the OL and have back ups that aren't a joke, it doesn't matter who we put behind center.

You could have the #2 pick . . . It would take at least 3 first rounders to get the top prospect . . . .and even then if he is “that dude”, the #1 overall team would probably still take him.

All we did is add a tremendous talent to the league’s least talented QB group.

Lets see how it plays out.

Three 1st rounders? Is Joe Montana in the next draft? What if Arizona picks first next year? I don't think there's that many teams that will be moving up to take a QB next year. Bengals, maybe Patriots or Titans

No I think it’s now a Rosen or Tank for Trevor situation which I’m much more comfortable with.

Situations are dynamic and things tend to happen.

No one was anticipating Murry going #1 a few months ago.

No one was anticipating Rosen being available...

So the fact we landed him changed the bounty of this draft
but in NO WAY impeded our options for 2020.

That said -- we're still in a position to make aggressive moves
if indeed the situation is justified. And of course if Rosen emerges
as a bonafide stud -- we could cause serious damage a lot sooner
than anticipated...

Still in our best interests to use 2019 as a pure developmental year
and that means no BS attempts to win now at all costs. Take some
lumps and set yourself up for a major transformation on the horizon.

It could be worth paying attention.

I hope!

BNF

Back
Top Bottom