Well Is "tank For Tua " Officially Cancelled ? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Well Is "tank For Tua " Officially Cancelled ?

Tua seems like a can't miss prospect, but I still would prefer that Rosen show himself to be the franchise QB because there are no guarantees we'd be able to get him...

Not to mention the king's ransom we could receive for one of 2020's top picks should we choose to go with Rosen

At this point, what do you think would be easier and more likely? The Dolphins being bad enough to get the #1 overall pick or Rosen developing into a franchise QB?

Getting Tua requires everything going right.

#1: It requires that Tua declares for the draft
#2: It requires that the Dolphins have the worst record in the NFL..

If NOT:
#3: It requires that the team with the #1 overall pick doesn't need a QB and would be willing to trade the pick
#4: It would require the Dolphins to have enough draft ammunition to outbid other suitors for the #1 overall pick

That is A LOT that needs to happen, and remains unlikely that everything will fall just right for the Dolphins. The cost to trade for #1, depending on draft position, would also be astronomical. It would probably require a Ricky Williams kind of trade, plus future draft picks. Yes, Grier put the Dolphins in good position to move up, but depending on which draft position they end up with, it STILL might not be enough.

So this is why I am actually rooting for Rosen to become the franchise guy. I think that is much more likely than actually acquiring Tua.

If Rosen is terrible then they’re a 4 win team and they get either Tua, Herbert or Fromm. If Rosen shows promise then they’re a 6 win team and still get a top 10 pick.

There’s only 5-6 teams in the NFL that would draft a top QB and some of those won’t finish low enough. Good chance they still get a top 3 QB with a top 10 pick.

Agreed, this situation will play itself out on NFL and NCAA fields this fall.

Cincinnati comes to mind first. I'd much rather be us than them. It would be ironic if Zac Taylor was fired after one season. Mike Brown is too cheap for that anyway. I can see the wheels coming off completely there this year, especially if Cleveland continues to rise.

Actually, this would probably make for a good new thread topic.

Give me an hour.

Last edited:
Agreed, this situation will play itself out on NFL and NCAA fields this fall.

Cincinnati comes to mind first. I'd much rather be us than them. It would be ironic if Zac Taylor was fired after one season. Mike Brown is too cheap for that anyway. I can see the wheels coming off completely there this year, especially if Cleveland continues to rise.

Actually, this would probably make for a good new thread topic.

Five Reasons Sports just had a podcast on this topic. I think they identified the following teams as true competitors for Tua:
Bengals
Giants (If the GM gets wiped out, nothing stopping new GM from dumping Jones and drafting Tua)
Raiders
Lions
49ers
Titans
Buccanneers

At this point, what do you think would be easier and more likely? The Dolphins being bad enough to get the #1 overall pick or Rosen developing into a franchise QB?

Getting Tua requires everything going right.

#1: It requires that Tua declares for the draft
#2: It requires that the Dolphins have the worst record in the NFL..

If NOT:
#3: It requires that the team with the #1 overall pick doesn't need a QB and would be willing to trade the pick
#4: It would require the Dolphins to have enough draft ammunition to outbid other suitors for the #1 overall pick

That is A LOT that needs to happen, and remains unlikely that everything will fall just right for the Dolphins. The cost to trade for #1, depending on draft position, would also be astronomical. It would probably require a Ricky Williams kind of trade, plus future draft picks. Yes, Grier put the Dolphins in good position to move up, but depending on which draft position they end up with, it STILL might not be enough.

So this is why I am actually rooting for Rosen to become the franchise guy. I think that is much more likely than actually acquiring Tua.

It also requires that Tua doesn't regress and/or suffer an injury.

But yeah, grabbing a top 10 ranked QB 12 months before with a late 2nd and a 5th rounder, paying him the equivalent of NFL peanuts and having him live up to his potential is far preferable to mortgaging the farm on someone who has the possibility of turning into a first round bust. And definitely preferable to spending #13 on Haskins, a 1 year wonder with superlative assets and the questions that come with his ever expanding and decreasing waistlines.

Five Reasons Sports just had a podcast on this topic. I think they identified the following teams as true competitors for Tua:
Bengals
Giants (If the GM gets wiped out, nothing stopping new GM from dumping Jones and drafting Tua)
Raiders
Lions
49ers
Titans
Buccanneers

All teams at the top of my list, I am going to start a new topic in about an hour with my power rankings of QB need.

I don't think the Giants will be high (or low in this case) on my list because Eli will play most of the season, 2021 draft more likely if Jones is a mistake.

The Murray/Rosen situation is more of a perfect storm then a new norm. They clearly messed up with Steve Wilks. If Bruce Arians was coaching Rosen, no chance they land the No.1 pick.

Its not just the stats. Its the accuracy. The movement in the pocket. The big play mentality he has while only throwing 6 ints.

No I get it. My point I was making is Tua isn't like the other QB's Alabama has had under Saban. I was directing it at all the Tua haters thinking he is just another system QB benefiting from all the talent at Alabama. That's not the case in this situation.

If we were a college team playing against other college teams, this would still be a funk up idea.

You want us to lose to maybe draft a college player who might be good and we might be able to draft.

You are not a Miami Dolphin fan. Piss off and go tank your season in Madden NFL.
Got news for you, dudeski. Team is going to lose this year... a lot... regardless of your idealistic views on how something should or shouldn't be run.

But thanks for trying to tell other fans how they should feel.

All teams at the top of my list, I am going to start a new topic in about an hour with my power rankings of QB need.

I don't think the Giants will be high (or low in this case) on my list because Eli will play most of the season, 2021 draft more likely if Jones is a mistake.

The Murray/Rosen situation is more of a perfect storm then a new norm. They clearly messed up with Steve Wilks. If Bruce Arians was coaching Rosen, no chance they land the No.1 pick.

Glad I could inspire you to start a new thread. My thoughts on those teams also include one of any number of teams who could surprise with a situation where an aging QB gets injured for the season or decides to retire. NE, Pitt and LAC come to mind.

There’s also a team or two who could give up on their young QB; Buf, Jets, Giants, and Wash.

With solid seasons, Tenn, Cinc, Oak, Tampa, SF, and Det are out of the top 10 and stand pat at QB.

There’s definitely some good thoughts in this thread. At the same time a lot of people seem to get hung up on the word tank and the word Tua. If you reword things in the original post the concern would be, that we have a lousy Oline, or simply a team that can’t let Rosen be evaluated fully, and the team as in the past might not covet a quarterback upgrade beyond that. It will be hard for some to endure a lenghty evaluation process on a quarterback that is not showing it. Like Tannehill era. Yes if Rosen does well none of it matters. But if he is not showing it or sort of average many are worried that we will fail to get another quarterback. I think that’s the concern. Making the right decision has not been a strong point for Miami. There are some good quarterbacks available next year that would excite people. To me the question is, how does the management of the Dolphins and the front office view the situation and of course such comments can’t be made public for many reasons. I think that’s the sort of thing that the original poster is getting at, not so literally if were tanking or getting Tua. It seems that many suddenly have a strong feeling for Miami doing the right thing but many others have seen this before. One thing is for sure only one person can make this conversation go away.

If it's not Tua, there could be consolation prizes in top 5-10 picks. Again if everyone declares? Tua, Fromm and Love are all juniors who could choose to stay in school. Plan B would be a wise choice for Miami, if things don't fall their way. If all or most don't declare, 2021 is going to be a free for all for the top 5 picks? Miami has at least 2019 to evaluate Rosen, who has a lot going for him. Just hope he finds his footing with this coaching staff and ends the "Tank Speculation"!!!

To me in a way we are evaluating (as fans) the new coaches and front office as much as the new QB. I'm more worried if Miami has the right guys in place more so than QB. Because as has been stated, Replacing the QB is easy and cost effective if you have the right guys to make such decisions. It's about the management as many have complained for years.

Back
Top Bottom