Well, it seems now the #1 pick is up for auction. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Well, it seems now the #1 pick is up for auction.

BlueFin

Seer of Visions
Club Member
Reaction score
Apr. 19 - The 49ers appear to want Smith, but the latest development is that the No. 1 pick is up for auction, reports ESPN.com's John Clayton. With no deal in sight for Smith after four days of negotiations, Niners coach Mike Nolan has contacted the nine teams below him and is trying to see if he can get the right trade.

His strategy is simple. For days, he's been hearing about teams interested in trading for Smith or Michigan receiver Braylon Edwards. With the top pick, the 49ers control who goes where, so Nolan wants the calls to come through San Francisco.

As I predicted yesterday, next thing you'll hear is the Niners are now focusing on Edwards.

I agree. The day before yesterday Nolan intimated that he didn't want to give "control" of the draft over to Miami. He wants to basically keep the power over the draft until Saturday and their pick. That gives him as much leverage as possible for getting a good deal.

I do think they will take Smith if they don't trade the pick. If I'm Minnesota, I'm not too worried about their taking Edwards. If the 9ers went that route, then they would lose out on Smith, Rodgers and Campbell.

OK I am confused

I was under the impression they wanted Rodgers not Smith

Does anyone know what is going on in 9ers world.

Nolan is playing with fire here. I hope it burns his pecker, he's not as smart as he thinks he is. Miami still has the power of the draft if he doesn't realize it. The other teams aren't dumb enough to not see Nolan has been BSing the last 3-4 days once he learned things weren't going in SF way.

He's too interested in being in the media. Too many quotes about having control, he should be focusing in on what he wants to accomplish instead of spouting off about other teams not having control.

Nolan is a fool if he believes that he holds the power in this draft. Ususally the no.1 pick has been (unofficially) named at this point. He is unsure of himself and it is starting to show.

It may play on the no.1 selections mind throughout the course of the next few months... as well....

I believe Nolan is afraid to make a mistake here...

The 49rs should know the direction they want to take by now.

You guys kill me.........he's basically doing the same stuff as Saban....but Saban is a genius and Nolan is an idiot. Classic.

Nolan is not doing a thing with that 1st pick they will take a qb, he is just a fool who wants more power, they want one of these 2 top QB's and if they trade the pick they wont get neither, everobody knows that, he's just making a fool out of himself, Saban's got the power in this draft........

burger13 said:
You guys kill me.........he's basically doing the same stuff as Saban....but Saban is a genius and Nolan is an idiot. Classic.
Uhm, I agree, he is TRYING to be like Saban. That is the whole point here. Nolan was clueless and behind the 8 ball...then when he finally figured it out he starts trying to be like Saban. That's the idiotic side of this...too little too late, he looks like a scared, inexperienced person now IMO, just trying to mimmick what a person did that already caught his tail.

Nolan is doing what is best for his team, he wants desparately to trade down, and by not showing his hand and saying he may take Smith, Rogers or Edwards, he is trying to force another teams hand to deal with the 9ers, to get there man. I believe rogers is a niner if no deal can be made.

All of this is ridiculous...

There are two marquee-trade up type players at the top of the draft

Alex Smith and Braylon Edwards...the Niners can only take or trade the spot for one of them...that leaves us to take or trade the other...

Bottom Line...it looks good for us.

The number 2 pick is cheaper than the number one pick....and the 49ers can only take one player....so somebody is going to be happoy and trade with the Dolphins....no matter who the 49ers select.

fishypete said:
The number 2 pick is cheaper than the number one pick....and the 49ers can only take one player....so somebody is going to be happoy and trade with the Dolphins....no matter who the 49ers select.
exactly! SF fails to see this, so do those here who are fretting.

Back
Top Bottom