Well then, my case for Herbert | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Well then, my case for Herbert

Given Coach Flos’s accomplishments this season, I truly believe that everyone needs to take his statements at face value. He wants team first players that work harder than their peers. He wants high character players. His QB must be a leader of men not just the most talented QB. Further, Chris Grier reinforces that Coach Flo is heavily involved in the process. Most of the time I discount this statement when a GM makes this statement, but I am inclined to believe Grier this time.

I believe the process of evaluating any free agent or draft pick starts with these questions. I do not have enough information to even speculate about these qualities in regard to Herbert. I did see one article from his sophomore year describe him as aloof and soft, but Iam skeptical of just one article. Does anyone know of statements about his character?

Given Coach Flos’s accomplishments this season, I truly believe that everyone needs to take his statements at face value. He wants team first players that work harder than their peers. He wants high character players. His QB must be a leader of men not just the most talented QB. Further, Chris Grier reinforces that Coach Flo is heavily involved in the process. Most of the time I discount this statement when a GM makes this statement, but I am inclined to believe Grier this time.

I believe the process of evaluating any free agent or draft pick starts with these questions. I do not have enough information to even speculate about these qualities in regard to Herbert. I did see one article from his sophomore year describe him as aloof and soft, but Iam skeptical of just one article. Does anyone know of statements about his character?

There's not a thing in the world wrong with Justin Herbert's character. He's an absolutely outstanding kid and a wonderful student athlete.

The only question is in regards to his personality in terms of being able to lead on the football field. He's more of an introvert. But in terms of any questions regarding his character, absolutely not. One of the best young men in college football. Give me these type of "quiet" guys over the idiot running up and down the sidelines grabbing his crotch and flipping everybody off every single time.

There's not a thing in the world wrong with Justin Herbert's character. He's an absolutely outstanding kid and a wonderful student athlete.

The only question is in regards to his personality in terms of being able to lead on the football field. He's more of an introvert. But in terms of any questions regarding his character, absolutely not. One of the best young men in college football. Give me these type of "quiet" guys over the idiot running up and down the sidelines grabbing his crotch and flipping everybody off every single time.

Spot on. He fought his way back from a broken leg in high school, he's obviously a smart kid having won the Campbell Trophy, he doesn't deserve character assassination. He's a 21 year old kid and he's on the reserved and shy side. I have no problem with his body language an on-field demeanor, you don't have to be fiery to be effective. Maybe some more aggression comes with age and what's asked of him at the pro level- as to his preparation:

Cristobal points to Herbert’s preparation as what defines the quarterback. In his first year as UO’s head coach, Cristobal says he’s seen Herbert prepare harder and harder each week.

Herbert, never a boaster, downplayed his game prep when asked. He said he meets with his teammates as much as possible to make sure the team is comfortable with the game plan.

Sounds like coach speak, doesn’t it? It kind of is. Cristobal has repeatedly called Herbert a “field general” who understands the run game like a coordinator does. The offense relies heavily on Herbert’s advanced knowledge of protections and the running game. He’s able to quickly get the offense into the right play, based on shifting defensive looks.

Spot on. He fought his way back from a broken leg in high school, he's obviously a smart kid having won the Campbell Trophy, he doesn't deserve character assassination. He's a 21 year old kid and he's on the reserved and shy side. I have no problem with his body language an on-field demeanor, you don't have to be fiery to be effective. Maybe some more aggression comes with age and what's asked of him at the pro level- as to his preparation:

Cristobal points to Herbert’s preparation as what defines the quarterback. In his first year as UO’s head coach, Cristobal says he’s seen Herbert prepare harder and harder each week.

Herbert, never a boaster, downplayed his game prep when asked. He said he meets with his teammates as much as possible to make sure the team is comfortable with the game plan.

Sounds like coach speak, doesn’t it? It kind of is. Cristobal has repeatedly called Herbert a “field general” who understands the run game like a coordinator does. The offense relies heavily on Herbert’s advanced knowledge of protections and the running game. He’s able to quickly get the offense into the right play, based on shifting defensive looks.

I saw the improvement on the field with Herbert and made note of it back during the season. Cristobal is one of the best coaches that have ever worked for Saban - and he's building a monster that the rest of the Pac-12 ain't gonna like over there in Eugene. I made note of that last year too.

That's an interesting comparison. I think Justin Herbert is somewhere between Josh Allen and Carson Wenz as a prospect. My gut says it's either him or Tua at #5. Get the quarterback, then build the line. I think there are enough quality offensive linemen in this draft, plus free agency to really help Miami.

Kid has a heart of gold and returned to school instead of getting money for his team. Loyal, hard working, team first, humble, and smart. Sure he is shy, but he is a champion in the classroom, off the field, and on the field.

I think Joey Harrington says it best! Absolutely love that he keeps saying "we" and "us"!

Last edited:
I think that if you liked Josh Allen coming out then you probably like Herbert. I liked Josh Allen the best of his QB class including Mayfield and Darnold, and I like him even more now. There were plenty of questions about Allen coming out- both he and Herbert have tons of ability, including the best arms in their class (imo) and the ability to move for really big QBs. I'd roll the bones on Herbert, and if we don't take him I think he's gone by the next pick, unless the Chargers trade up from that pick to get him sooner.
I'm just not sure Josh Allen is quite good enough. I love his ability to get those quarterback sneaks on short yardage. He can make all the throws, although he still lacks touch and consistency. But I do think he's a winner. I think Herbert is actually a better prospect.

I'm just not sure Josh Allen is quite good enough. I love his ability to get those quarterback sneaks on short yardage. He can make all the throws, although he still lacks touch and consistency. But I do think he's a winner. I think Herbert is actually a better prospect.
I like Herbert quite a but and I think that Josh Allen is going to have a hell of a career, great talent.

I think Herbert is the classic example of a kid that needs

3-5 years in the NFL before he's ready for prime time.

Sort of like a great young Bordeaux that costs a lot

of money and needs to be cellared...

Don't buy it if you plan on drinking it soon!

But... with time it could be epic!

My case is this. That play calling is a joke. They leave so much on the table in pistol it’s not funny. I don’t know if that’s a qb limitation or it’s a oc one. If it’s the oc he’s terrible.

Wisconsin ran the same looks at them all night long and Oregon kept running the same damn thing. Only adjustment they made was more zone read emphasis in tbe 2nd half.

you could set your watch to zone coverage situationally from Wisconsin and the concepts Oregon ran route wise ran right into it.

It’s either lack of faith in the qb to do anything else or it’s the play caller is utterly incompetent.

I’m fine with Herbert at No. 5 if Tua isn’t available for whatever reason, but my gut tells me that Grier and Flores probably want a different type of QB.

I hope the Dolphins don’t touch Herbert with the proverbial 10 foot pole. He might be a good character kid, but he doesn’t look like a franchise QB type to me.

I think he‘ll be in Ryan Tannehill mold. Tantalizing to the point that some team is going to waste numerous years hoping he becomes more than average. All these GM’s and armchairs are overly infatuated with height, weight, athleticism, arm strength, etc. to the point that they overlook more important things. That’s why a guy like Russell Wilson slipped to the 3rd round while Tannehill went in the 1st.

My case is this. That play calling is a joke. They leave so much on the table in pistol it’s not funny. I don’t know if that’s a qb limitation or it’s a oc one. If it’s the oc he’s terrible.

Wisconsin ran the same looks at them all night long and Oregon kept running the same damn thing. Only adjustment they made was more zone read emphasis in tbe 2nd half.

you could set your watch to zone coverage situationally from Wisconsin and the concepts Oregon ran route wise ran right into it.

It’s either lack of faith in the qb to do anything else or it’s the play caller is utterly incompetent.

Agreed. That's why I've asked what the heck would happen if they ever allowed him to run a basic offense. Heck, put him in Georgia's offense, with or without any offensive linemen.

My issue with Herbert is that he was a low rated recruit and still plays like he believes he is second or third tier. Tannenbombs stated perfectly a few weeks ago. Herbert doesn't have IT

I don't want a quarterback who is surprised to win. That's why if forced to pick between them I would take Fromm, even though I'm anything but high on Fromm.

Jake Fromm is not going to be out there weeping after defeating Wisconsin by 1 point

Sounds like he's going to be stuck with the same lazy character assassinations as Rosen, just because neither are constantly banging the drum. Being naturally unassuming might make it difficult to be a leader in the locker room, but doesn't make an individual any less interested or passionate.

Back
Top Bottom