Well then, my case for Herbert | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Well then, my case for Herbert

One thing that separates Burrow is how accurate he is throwing from different platforms, on the move, and how he's able to reset his feet to throw while on the move - which I referenced fairly recently. The difference is massive.

However, unfortunately for quarterbacks like Burrow and Tua - they're likely to be throwing to worse receivers in the NFL than they had in college. Just the opposite for Herbert.

Yeah and those WRs are checking up for burrows passes a lot. Tua leads guys. I think shoulder placement wise tua is another level.

the balls on the back pad a lot with burrow

I think he's gotten better in clutch moments and in big games. He's aced almost every big moment as a Senior.

I remember pointing out how much Tannehill regressed as a Senior compared to his Junior year when he actually put aTm on his back. I tried to point out that the Junior version of Tannehill might be something, but the Senior version of him was going to leave you disappointed.

I believe a few posters are correct in terms of the offense and how it limits Herbert's development some because it doesn't really highlight his strengths, or the aspects of his game that do translate to the next level. I think mechanically there's still some improvements to be made with Herbert as well. But it's difficult for me to bet on him as a franchise player.
I definitely feel like the Oregon offense limits his skills. But I’ve also considered, what if that’s intentional not to show more of his flaws?

I definitely feel like the Oregon offense limits his skills. But I’ve also considered, what if that’s intentional not to show more of his flaws?

I think it’s probably more about taking advantage of the athlete. At the collegiate level at least. But it’s definitely limiting his development. Conceptually though I can run pistol and even zone read with even better pass concepts built in. What they run is basically qb for dummies. Man and zone beaters

I think if you're scouting him correctly you already know what his flaws are - along with his strengths - and where improvement is needed. You probably come away with the assumption that the offense is highlighting his flaws. The offense also changed when Jacob Breeland went out for the season with injury.

I think if you're scouting him correctly you already know what his flaws are - along with his strengths - and where improvement is needed. You probably come away with the assumption that the offense is highlighting his flaws. The offense also changed when Jacob Breeland went out for the season with injury.
Valid point too. We know he has a very strong arm. They didn’t attack vertical much, which makes me wonder why? But I also have read, and seen, they don’t have the most talented bunch on the receiving end.

Not from a skills standpoint. He's the same guy, that way. Maybe the offense used it more, but he's not actually shown a higher level of skill that way. I was just watching 2017 games of his and it's the same.

Fair point, he's been using it as a weapon more is probably a better way of describing it. For me it was the USC game where I thought wow I didn't know he could do that. That USC game is Herbert in a nutshell in many ways, starts out with as horrible a INT that you will see then plays lights out.

Fair point, he's been using it as a weapon more is probably a better way of describing it. For me it was the USC game where I thought wow I didn't know he could do that. That USC game is Herbert in a nutshell in many ways, starts out with as horrible a INT that you will see then plays lights out.

USC game probably the best I've ever seen him.

I am not saying Herbert will be an elite QB in the NFL. He may be, he may not be? Trust me though, Herbert has plenty of fire and wants to win! Who was Tua throwing to again? *I say that knowing damn well what a good passer he is. I know Tua was and possibly still is, a once in a generation QB. Broken hips scare me though

Last edited:
I am not saying Herbert will be an elite QB in the NFL. He may be, he may not be? Trust me though, Herbert has plenty of fire and wants to win! Who was Tua throwing to again?
You had a nice argument until you played the dipshit ‘Tua has the best receivers’ card.

You had a nice argument until you played the dipshit ‘Tua has the best receivers’ card.
You don't think it matters who Tua was throwing to compared to what Herbert had to work with?

Oh it does matter stat wise. Which always bugs me a bit when evaluating talent. Tua's accuracy and touch are something WR do not bring. Herbert's cannon as well. But it does happen. Nobody in college makes progression reads like Fromm for instance. I think stats are holding him back a bit. Well that and his tendency to float the ball over heads.

The big question with Herbert will be IF a coaching staff looks at his weaknesses and believes they can coach them out of him.

His physical traits are undeniable so IF you can clean up some of the fundamental issues you could have a beast at QB.

The leadership stuff is more about him being quiet and laid back personality wise, which could be a negative but could also be overblown.

From what I have seen(3 Oregon games this year)I am not a huge fan.

With Tua's injuries and no hope of getting Burrow the Fins might be better off waiting until 2021 for QB.

Man I can’t shake this feeling that Herbert is the choice at 5. He seems like a Flores player to me in every sense. Have watched too many people saying how good a kid he is, how intelligent he is, and how he inspires those around him.

Like many of you, I’m mixed on the film I’ve seen of him. He certainly looks to have better pocket awareness than Tannehill, but the accuracy on his throws makes me furrow my brow more than I would like. Picking him is akin to saying you have a lot of faith in your coaching staff to surround him with a system to succeed.

Edit: Want to add I wouldn’t be AGAINST the pick per se. In a proper system, he could thrive with this WR core.

Even in saying this, I am still a fan of filling the lines first with this draft. I am biased (of course) but also realistic. Justin Herbert certainly has his ups and downs. He is an elite QB with all of the tools and characteristics you want in a QB. He reminds me so much of Fitzbeard it is unbelievable. Herbert was the academic Heisman winner. So both are very smart. Herbert has a way better set of skills. They both are gunslingers with grit that can run tough. I think Fitz can teach Herbert and mold him into a very good QB. In turn, Herbert can learn so very much from watching him. Of course I would love to see Herbert wearing aqua and orange....the same as I would love to see Thibodeaux doing the same in a couple years! But it would be a really good fit imo. That said, I still want to fill in the lines and D backfield. I have all the faith in the world that Flores and staff will make the best decision regarding this team. Even if they believe Rosen is the man going forward. Hell, while I might cry if they gamble on Tua...I would be ok with that as well.
I can’t say I’m on the Herbert bandwagon by any stretch, but when I look at what scouts, pundits and our own experts are saying about his game it actually reminds me a lot of what was being talked about and focused on with Drew Lock last year. When Lock finally got in the game for Denver at the end of the season he looked pretty decent, definitely better than his scouting report would have suggested. Maybe the time on the bench just watching and learning helped get him ready. I think if a team can actually be patient with him and not rush him into playing time Herbert could definitely pick up on some shortcomings to his game to a point where we can see his physical attributes really shine at the next level.

Back
Top Bottom