We're not that far from paydirt... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We're not that far from paydirt...

cowtowndick

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Obviously, I'm a Dolphins fan, otherwise I wouldn'tn be on this website. But having said that, is it possible that we're not nearly as far away as everyone has said we are? The biggest question, IMO, factoring in the draft, the retooled coaching staff, veteran players signed , returning veterans, etc is the OL. If the OL can improve, albeit dramatically, then we're not as bad a football team as we were last year. I think, and this may seem a little over the top, that we can challenge for the AFC East title next year. Yes, next year. Your thoughts...

Agreed no team has superstars like we do, i thought our D was not that bad considering the injuries,and despite a O-line that was brutal our offence improved

JAREDMANN said:
Agreed no team has superstars like we do, i thought our D was not that bad considering the injuries,and despite a O-line that was brutal our offence improved
Hey, where in Canada are you at? I'm in Calgary. I don't think I'm being delusional - last year was a catastrophe, but mostly because of the coach, not the talent. And the NFL being what it is, it's not unreasonable for teams to go 4 and 12 one year, and to the Super Bowl the next. Dare to dream, Arnold, dare to dream.

I think the o-line will hold up alot better this year,our defense is outstanding, we have 3 good receivers (mcmichael, chambers,booker), the only thing iam worried about is the qb, if we draft ronnie brown with our #2 overall and can pick up a qb like mcpherson or someone better in the later rounds have him gus and AJ battle it out, i think we could make the wildcard or even win the division.

DolphinsD1 said:
I think the o-line will hold up alot better this year,our defense is outstanding, we have 3 good receivers (mcmichael, chambers,booker), the only thing iam worried about is the qb, if we draft ronnie brown with our #2 overall and can pick up a qb like mcpherson or someone better in the later rounds have him gus and AJ battle it out, i think we could make the wildcard or even win the division.
i agree with you im still worried about the QB

I think that Houck will do a good enough job with the O-line and our running game will improve through the draft.

The only question is if the QB play can improve and be efficient. We don't need a gamewinner because our defense is very good we just need someone who doesn't turn the ball over during the game very much. I believe AJ could do it, a post on here today refreshed my memory about the Bills game he had when they were respecting our running game and playing normal D and not blitzing every single down and he scored 3 TD's and picked them apart in the first quarter.

Dolfan2788 said:
I think that Houck will do a good enough job with the O-line and our running game will improve through the draft.

The only question is if the QB play can improve and be efficient. We don't need a gamewinner because our defense is very good we just need someone who doesn't turn the ball over during the game very much. I believe AJ could do it, a post on here today refreshed my memory about the Bills game he had when they were respecting our running game and playing normal D and not blitzing every single down and he scored 3 TD's and picked them apart in the first quarter.
Very good comments re the QB, but having Frerotte (in Linehan's system) makes me feel a little better.

It is definately possible, but we need to become a team again. These last few years, the players have been separate offense and defense, there were a couple hints of "star" attitudes, and no one cared what the coach had to say or for his system (though this one was somewhat valid). It was, "how many of us can get a trip to Hawaii? Oh yeah if we win that trophy thing, that would be great too, but please don't make us bust our asses for it".

Our key players are starting to age though, and I think they are starting to realize that their time is becoming very limited. Combine that with better coaching and training, and I think we might see one hell of a cohesive team on the field. Playoffs this year may be a little bit of a stretch at this point; but who knows, come September, we may very well be making some noise.

C-Money84 said:
It is definately possible, but we need to become a team again. These last few years, the players have been separate offense and defense, there were a couple hints of "star" attitudes, and no one cared what the coach had to say or for his system (though this one was somewhat valid). It was, "how many of us can get a trip to Hawaii? Oh yeah if we win that trophy thing, that would be great too, but please don't make us bust our asses for it".

Our key players are starting to age though, and I think they are starting to realize that their time is becoming very limited. Combine that with better coaching and training, and I think we might see one hell of a cohesive team on the field. Playoffs this year may be a little bit of a stretch at this point; but who knows, come September, we may very well be making some noise.
I'm thinking we can make some noise in December...

the league is setup to allow parity and yearly worst to first finishes. free agency and scheduling have proven that teams such as the '98 falcons, '99 rams, 00'ravens, '00 giants, '01 pats, '03 panthers, '04 chargers, etc. can rise from obscurity and last place finishes by making a few FA moves and getting a few bounces.

the '04 season was an abberation for the phins, if everything falls apart, we go 7-9 this year.

cowtowndick said:
Obviously, I'm a Dolphins fan, otherwise I wouldn'tn be on this website. But having said that, is it possible that we're not nearly as far away as everyone has said we are? The biggest question, IMO, factoring in the draft, the retooled coaching staff, veteran players signed , returning veterans, etc is the OL. If the OL can improve, albeit dramatically, then we're not as bad a football team as we were last year. I think, and this may seem a little over the top, that we can challenge for the AFC East title next year. Yes, next year. Your thoughts...
San Diego in 2003....4-12
San Diego in 2004....12-4

I think we will be improved. The odds are against us to be a threat. We have to deal with:

1. Whole new coaching staff and schemes. Zach has already mentioned the learning curve.
2. Too dependent on rookies. For us to be a threat, we have to hit on two or three rookies to be immeiate impact players this year. That rarely happens.
3. QB still shakey. Who knows what we have in AJ. Ferotte does not exactly stike fear into the heart of defenders. Good back-up not a star caliber QB.
4. OLine. We are counting on coaching to take what was a horrible unit (yes,they really were horrible) and make them a winning starting unit in just one off season. Big challenge.
5. I like our DLine. I like our LBs, especially the young guys liek Pope and Moore. I am concerned about our secondary. We are suspect at the safety position, and we are counting on Poole to replace Surtain. That is a 2nd year guy replacing a Pro Bowler. On top of that, Madison is erratic.

Tha all said, I look for us to be improved. I am thinking anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7.
But lookout in 2006 baby!
By then we will have a full year under our Saban belt and the talent we need to start making a push again.

We will definitley be much improved this year, but to win the division we also need to count on the Pats taking a major fall this year too...They have taken some hits this year, the biggest being the coaching hits IMO, but is it enough to see them dethroned??? I sure as heck hope so :D

Ya im also not sure about the hole Qb thing eaither. I hope we can get somethin in the 2nd round that might be able to help us. I'm really puzzled about Aj, i dont no if he can or ever will be able to carrie a team. To me the dolphins are are all giants and huge superstars and then there is poor little Aj who doesn't really seem to have it all down yet.

fin-atic said:
I think we will be improved. The odds are against us to be a threat. We have to deal with:

1. Whole new coaching staff and schemes. Zach has already mentioned the learning curve.
2. Too dependent on rookies. For us to be a threat, we have to hit on two or three rookies to be immeiate impact players this year. That rarely happens.
3. QB still shakey. Who knows what we have in AJ. Ferotte does not exactly stike fear into the heart of defenders. Good back-up not a star caliber QB.
4. OLine. We are counting on coaching to take what was a horrible unit (yes,they really were horrible) and make them a winning starting unit in just one off season. Big challenge.
5. I like our DLine. I like our LBs, especially the young guys liek Pope and Moore. I am concerned about our secondary. We are suspect at the safety position, and we are counting on Poole to replace Surtain. That is a 2nd year guy replacing a Pro Bowler. On top of that, Madison is erratic.

Tha all said, I look for us to be improved. I am thinking anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7.
But lookout in 2006 baby!
By then we will have a full year under our Saban belt and the talent we need to start making a push again.

Perfect, couldnt have said it better

of all those teams that had crap years than good ones, did any have a new coach? That is the question

SD last year had the same coachs and players (primarily-so all those guys were famailiar with one another and the systmen that they ran)

Back
Top Bottom