We've come full circle | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We've come full circle

randy9

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I've watched Dolphins football every since the year we lost to dallas in the superbowl. It occurs to me that this current regime is the most similar to that of Don Shula's. Bum Phillips once said "he could take his 11 an beat yours, then take your 11 an beat his." My point is this, we don't always have to have the best possible player at a position just coach'em up & play the heck out of'em. JJ had too much ego and wanted too much of the glory to a point where it handicapted him. DW was a good moral man but the job was too big for him and if his initial game plan failed he was done. I've never seen such a poor example of making adjustments as we had with him. Bottom line is now we have a coach who has to this point made all the moves to give us hope! Semper Fi

We won't have a clue until we see them in action.

I and most other fans, writers, broadcasters, teams, players, etc. all thought JJ was gonna bring it also.

I feel sorry for Wann and Butch Davis... I think they are 2 quality guys with unbelievable X and O knowledge that for some reason were not able to make it as a head coach in the NFL... I think both will see success down the road.

I hope Saban is aother Shula... a rock at head coach for years to come.

randy9 said:
Bottom line is now we have a coach who has to this point made all the moves to give us hope! Semper Fi

Amen Brother

randy9 said:
I've watched Dolphins football every since the year we lost to dallas in the superbowl. It occurs to me that this current regime is the most similar to that of Don Shula's. Bum Phillips once said "he could take his 11 an beat yours, then take your 11 an beat his." My point is this, we don't always have to have the best possible player at a position just coach'em up & play the heck out of'em. JJ had too much ego and wanted too much of the glory to a point where it handicapted him. DW was a good moral man but the job was too big for him and if his initial game plan failed he was done. I've never seen such a poor example of making adjustments as we had with him. Bottom line is now we have a coach who has to this point made all the moves to give us hope! Semper Fi

Good post. I believe that someone said it about Bum Phillips; he didn't say it about himself. It was a little more homespun, if I recall: "He can take his'n an' beat your'n, then take your'n an' beat his'n.:)

cdz12250 said:
Good post. I believe that someone said it about Bum Phillips; he didn't say it about himself. It was a little more homespun, if I recall: "He can take his'n an' beat your'n, then take your'n an' beat his'n.:)

Bum said it about Shula

I dont like how people say that Saban is like Billecheck or Shula...if he is the same then to win he needs to have the same of everything. I think that he is going to be good becasue he knows what good things they did and also the bad. Being able to learning as a coach and correct your mistackes is proably the best assest you can have. You must learn from others mistakes also. That was Wannys problem he never wanted to change.

Equalizer said:
Bum said it about Shula

they used to tell that story on monday nite football everytime the dolphins played when shula was coaching. I miss thought dayz. I think i'm totally fed up with the JJ type coaching (jj and dw). It will be nice to see a freakin coach that really knows how to coach and makes halftime adjustments. God it's been a long time. A real coach uses the players he has and makes adjustments to his system, unlike the jj/dw changing players to fit there system. It just didn't work. I think with better coaching we are at least a 10 win team this year. We've already patched holes. I am really looking forward to this year. Hell we can't do any worse. can i get an amen ... :rawk:

HelloMotto said:
they used to tell that story on monday nite football everytime the dolphins played when shula was coaching. I miss thought dayz. I think i'm totally fed up with the JJ type coaching (jj and dw). It will be nice to see a freakin coach that really knows how to coach and makes halftime adjustments. God it's been a long time. A real coach uses the players he has and makes adjustments to his system, unlike the jj/dw changing players to fit there system. It just didn't work. I think with better coaching we are at least a 10 win team this year. We've already patched holes. I am really looking forward to this year. Hell we can't do any worse. can i get an amen ... :rawk:
Amen brother.

Equalizer said:
We won't have a clue until we see them in action.

I and most other fans, writers, broadcasters, teams, players, etc. all thought JJ was gonna bring it also.

I feel sorry for Wann and Butch Davis... I think they are 2 quality guys with unbelievable X and O knowledge that for some reason were not able to make it as a head coach in the NFL... I think both will see success down the road.

I hope Saban is aother Shula... a rock at head coach for years to come.

Defensively he may have known what he was doing, sadly Wanny's idea of offensive football was to smash his X's into the middle of the O's for a yard at a time, and then punt it away to the O's on fourth down.

hopeully Saban will draft early better then all 3. think of some of our early picks out of NEED or just plan bad picks. Sammie Smith, Eric Kumerow, John Avery, ect. at #2, we can't be wrong, whomever Saban picks must be the bpa and be a solid contributor for years to come.

Back
Top Bottom