What a weekend! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What a weekend!

Scrap

Go Fins
Reaction score
Thoughts....

IMO, the Dolphin's front office has done a wonderful job thus far.
With this in mind,I have many hopes for the up coming season.
First off ,I think one of the biggest benefits we should get is on our December defense.We all know that our December D is different from our Sept., Oct.,and Nov. D. The addition of a running game/Norv Turner O,should give our guys on D a bit less playing time , and hopefully they will stay fresh longer in the season, than in the past few.
Another hope I have is that a new system will not take too long for these guys to learn.Sometimes the second year is more realistic.Lets wish for quick learners on offense.
Will we have the proper team chemistry?IMO, that is as important as any free agent.This leads me to wonder one thing: Did Wannstedt take the team to see a Michael Jordan Imax film, or get them to play softball together THIS past offseason?I know he did in his first season as our HC, but was that just a temporary philosophy, or does he still do things to bring this team together?An example of what I am trying to get at would be: Do you try as hard at work as you did your first day or week?You might, but most people don't.I feel that not only Wanny, but many of our players,should take initiative this offseason to get to know one another,as well as the new guys, to increase the team atmosphere BEFORE the minicamps.These players that take the initiative to do this could be stepping up as a team leader,which is what I feel we lacked this past season.(aka Trace)
I am not being negative here.I just think that they should make every attempt to be there best.I don't think that you can but a superbowl victory.You still have to work as a team.
Let's repeat our perfect 30 years later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D

Man has our front office done a heck of a job or what. I am now completely confident in our coaching staff and cant wait till next season when both Dave and Rick get extensions.

I AGREE

KUDOS TO WANNY AND SPIELMAN for pulling the trigger on a major impact running back!! Then landing a solid veteran offensive roadgrader in LEON SEARCY! I am psyched!!:D

Re: Thoughts on March 8th

"the Ricky Williams trade is a high risk/high reward one" - the only risk I see is that he will want to re-negotiate the stupidest contract ever signed in Professional Sports history. From a football standpoint, what did we give up for him ? another John Avery ? Yatil Green ? Billy Milner ?

In other news: yes, it was a helluva day - I barely got any work down monitoring the news wires :o ;) :lol:

Re: Thoughts....

I am completely blown away by what Wann-Spiel have accomlished thus far:
  • re-sign our starting QB for a cap friendly price
  • got the best available OC out there
  • cut dead wood players only
  • re-signed Tim Bo to a cap-friendly contract
  • signed a solid DT in Chester to a cap-friendly contract
  • got a potential quality backup RB for practically nothing in Edwards
  • made the draft of the century (we'll see if beats the Warfield trade to be the best trade a-t)
  • actually got someone to give up a draft pick for JJJ
  • signed a potential starting RG for 750K
:cooldude:

Just a question dolphan39, how did you get the cool looking picture? Did you make it or did you find it somewhere? And how do you load something like that onto your profile or whatever it's called.

Re: Re: Thoughts....

Originally posted by dolphan39
I am completely blown away by what Wann-Spiel have accomlished thus far:
  • re-sign our starting QB for a cap friendly price
  • got the best available OC out there
  • cut dead wood players only
  • re-signed Tim Bo to a cap-friendly contract
  • signed a solid DT in Chester to a cap-friendly contract
  • got a potential quality backup RB for practically nothing in Edwards
  • made the draft of the century (we'll see if beats the Warfield trade to be the best trade a-t)
  • actually got someone to give up a draft pick for JJJ
  • signed a potential starting RG for 750K
:cooldude:

I have a feeling the Dolphins aren't quite done yet either. I have a feeling before its all said and done, they will be going after another offensive lineman.

Re: Re: Re: Thoughts....

Originally posted by Dolphins13Fan

I have a feeling the Dolphins aren't quite done yet either. I have a feeling before its all said and done, they will be going after another offensive lineman.
I think that WanSpeil might check out a few other OL still not signed but I do not see anyone being given a big contract. With still having a 3rd rnd draft pick the, focus will be to asses who they think has a chance to fall in rnd 3 ? what chances do the Phins have for them to fall to Miami ? and will this be an upgrade that Miami can utilize now, or is this a talent that needs some seasoning and is too good to let slip by ?? Marino1983:D

Have to agree with everyone. A normal offseason usually consists of a bunch of hype and then ends with what could have been.

I think with New England winning the SuperBowl the Dolphins felt that they weren't too far off and wanted to be agressive this offseason to get us over the hump.

I like all of the signings so far, believe or not Robert Edwards for third string was brilliant. I can't remember Miami EVER have this kind of potential running game ever!

I think RS deserves GM of the year honors with all the hard work he has out in so far. Getting RW with Norv Turner makes me tear up. They really need to get a difference maker at LB and S and I think the sky is the limit.

Damn, five more months before the season.

Props to Dolphin Brass for their determination in building a Super Bowl champ!

Some Offensive Line Draft Prospects

Here is a run down of some of the offensive lineman who may be available to the Dolphins in later rounds. This is kind of a long post, but here goes it.

Strength:

Size

Run Blocking

Weakness:

Footwork

Speed rushes

Assessment:

Barry is a huge guard who is ideal for run blocking in the NFL. Is effective when "staying at home", doesn’t have the footwork for too many pulling assignments. Carries his weight well and has impressive strength in his upper and lower body. Had series of serious foot injuries that still affects his footwork. Uses hands well and has good balance. Can be overcome by speed rushers or when players have a lane and force him to move to the outside and block. Sheer strength numbers will ensure he is drafted in the later rounds.

Martin Bibla - Miami (Fla.) 6-4 300 pounds

Strength:

Lower body strength

Leverage

Weakness:

Blocking upfield

Body positioning

Assessment:

Bibla is a person who is his own worst critic. A perfectionist who lives by technique rather than sheer strength. Uses arms well and gets into the body of defensive tackles. Has a low center of gravity and amazing leverage which makes him hard to beat. Has impressive leg drive but is sometimes slow when asked to break from the line and block upfield. Can sometimes be turned around by quick moves or trying to stop a rush from another angle. Does a good job with his footwork and can block well while backpedaling. Should be a fourth or fifth round draft pick.

Broderick Lancaster - Colorado State 6-3 315 pounds

Strength:

Pass protection

Versatility

Weakness:

Hands

Endurance

Assessment:

Broderick Lancaster will get some looks because he has played a number of different positions along the Colorado State line. Lancaster is good in interior pass protection and works well in traffic. Is a player who can move upfield and moves well on the run. Takes good angles when blocking in the open field. Lancaster needs to work on using his hands to his advantage at the next level in order to gain momentum and get the upper hand with his balance. Needs to get in better shape to stand up to the rigors of the NFL grind. His versatility will ensure he is drafted by the 6th round.

Terrance Metcalf - Mississippi 6-3 320 pounds

Strength:

Run blocking

Finishing Blocks

Weakness:

Footwork

Assessment:

Terrance Metcalf has the ability to be a dominant force in the NFL. His work at left tackle at Mississippi was extraordinary and his pass protection has improved greatly since he started school. Will probably be moved to guard in the NFL and has shown that he is just as dominant in run blocking which will make the transition easy. Does a good job of finishing his blocks and getting a good push downfield. Metcalf is the kind of person you can run behind in short yardage situations. Metcalf needs to work on his footwork, especially lateral movement at the next level. Metcalf is a 2nd or 3rd round choice on draft day.

Qasim Mitchell – North Carolina A&T 6-5 365 pounds

Strength:

Run blocking

Upper body strength

Weakness:

Size

Pass protection

Assessment:

Mitchell looks to be the biggest prospect available for the NFL draft. But Mitchell is too heavy and has been told that he should try and get down to 350 by draft day. Mitchell has awesome upper body strength and will be used on the inside for his run blocking skills. Mitchell has played tackle but his limited mobility will ensure he plays guard in the NFL. Mitchell needs some help with his footwork before he plays at the next level. Qasim Mitchell is a project but his massive size will ensure that someone takes a chance on him.

Frank Romero - Oklahoma 6-3 295 pounds

Strength:

Lateral movement

Instincts

Weakness:

Leverage

Size

Assessment:

Frank Romero is the ideal player for a coach to have. He always gives 110%, is undersized for his position but always seems to get the job done. Very intelligent and uses his good body positioning skills to work over defenders. Runs well in open spaces and can be counted on for pulls and sweep plays. Needs to improve his leverage skills and work into defenders bodies a little more. Size is listed as a limitation but he has always played well despite his frame even at tackle. Played some of his best games against quality competition in the Big 12. Is a player that a lot of teams will covet in the middle rounds.

Kendall Simmons - Auburn 6-2 315 pounds

Strength:

Upper body strength

Blitz pickup

Weakness:

Durability

Size

Assessment:

There aren’t many deficiencies in the game of Kendall Simmons. Simmons isn’t a dominating player but he has fantastic technique and can do a number of things well. Simmons has a lot of experience playing tackle and while he is sometimes beaten with quick move to the outside, his play at tackle made him good in blitz pickup. Simmons is on the small side but he has a nice wingspan and he is hard to move. Uses his hands well to lock onto defenders and has good upper body strength. Simmons has had some injury problems but he has shown the ability to play through injury as well. Will be a top rate NFL guard and should be a solid 2nd round draft choice.

Fred Weary - Tennessee 6-4 305 pounds

Strength:

Lateral movement

Pass protection

Weakness:

Durability

Consistency

Assessment:

Fred Weary is a player who seems to be moving up the draft boards as we speak. Weary might be graded as a center prospect by some teams but I think guard is where he will be effective. Weary is a good athlete who has had injury problems in the past with his ankle. Despite the previous injury, he still has terrific lateral movement and excels in pass protection. He uses his hands well and always seems to finish his block. Gets a little lazy when asked to pull when the play seems to be run away from his direction. Needs to show more consistency overall. Looks to be one of the later picks on the draftboard for the first day of activity (round 3).

I tend to think that Metcalf, Weary, and probably Romero and Simmons will all be gone by the 3rd round. But all 4 of those would be steals if we could grab em.

I would be ecstatic.........

Originally posted by breckenridge55
I tend to think that Metcalf, Weary, and probably Romero and Simmons will all be gone by the 3rd round. But all 4 of those would be steals if we could grab em.

if Fred Weary or Terrence Metcalf ended up falling to us. I highly doubt it, as they're stock seems to be rising at the moment.

Originally posted by breckenridge55
Just a question dolphan39, how did you get the cool looking picture? Did you make it or did you find it somewhere? And how do you load something like that onto your profile or whatever it's called.

Hey there, I can help you out. :) It is a new avatar that AJ created. Just go back into the avatar selections under User CP and it is currently on the first page.

If you want to load an avatar or your own photo:

Go to "User CP"
Click on "edit options"
scroll to bottom of the page
Click on "change avatar"
select an avatar

For your own photo:

Bypass that and scroll to the bottom of the page again
Upload your own photo from your computer or a URL address
***Photo must be no lorger than 150 x 150 pixels***

If ANYONE needs help loading a custom pic, PM me and I can help you. :D

From NYFCat's article
In Ricky Williams and Chris Chambers, we have two superstars at skilled positions... when was the last time we could say that? Oh, and having Norv Turner on our side in a chess match doesn't hurt either!

Well, we have our Emmit Smith and Micheal Irvin, If Jay can pull off a decent Troy Aikman impression, Norv will think he went back in time. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom