What About GM | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What About GM

matt11390

Starter
Reaction score
With such a huge thread about a new head coach we need to start with the GM. Will Ross keep Hickey if Philbin goes or will Ross send both packing?

sure hope not - either way

So UK_Dolfan you are in favour of keeping both Hickey and Philbin then?

---------- Post added at 05:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 AM ----------

sure hope not - either way

Will Ross keep Hickey if Philbin goes

Ross send both packing

So to be clear you dont want to keep Philbin and Hickey but you dont want Hickey to leave if Philbin does.. ??

So you want to keep both Philbin and Hickey?

You have seen the Miami team play these last few weeks right?

It depends on what’s available. If there are suitable names out there that are willing to take on the GM job then I think he will be gone. We need to pay attention to this Dan Marino and Jason Taylor situation. One could become president and the other could take on another front office job. I truly believe that Dan could bring in someone that really wants to be here. And I think that he could bring in a top named guy also. He is respect by everyone and he has worked with a couple of top named former coaches. Either way, the only fix is to clean house. People are saying that we have a new offence and we just need time, no way. Good coached make it happen fast.

So UK_Dolfan you are in favour of keeping both Hickey and Philbin then?

---------- Post added at 05:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 AM ----------

So to be clear you dont want to keep Philbin and Hickey but you dont want Hickey to leave if Philbin does.. ??

So you want to keep both Philbin and Hickey?

You have seen the Miami team play these last few weeks right?

Will Ross keep Hickey? Sure hope not.

I never wanted Hickey and remain furious at the hire to this day and as for Philbin, unless things pick up remarkably he has to go

I agree we have to clean house.. man I am bored of coming voicing that statement year after year.. but we do dont we... we have a Jerry Jones type owner who knows little about football and needs to back off.. we have a HC who is not a strong character and is weedy in the way he presents himself.. honestly I dont think he can do the job.. I dont know about Hickey yet.. he picked up some good aquisitions in the off season adn bolstered the line for Tannehill who is still holding the ball until week 17 as his number corroborates... dropped passes are not helping but with Philbin being on the fence over his QB this week #17 cant be feeling good or confident right now.

The locker room is ripe for the losing if they have not walked out on Philbin already.. I certainly hope JT and #13 cacn bring a spark back to this once proud and now beleagured franchise

I wish Ross would sell, and let an owner who seems to know something about football make decisions. Or just let one of the former players run the team, and make the decisions on GM and Head Coach. Couldn't be worse than what we are used to.

Will Ross keep Hickey? Sure hope not.

I never wanted Hickey and remain furious at the hire to this day and as for Philbin, unless things pick up remarkably he has to go

He has done nothing to turn me off the past few months. Sounds like blind hate to me just because the dude wasn't that A-List hire that everyone on here was hoping for, and in a lot of cases, expecting.

---------- Post added at 05:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 AM ----------

He has done nothing to turn me off the past few months. Sounds like blind hate to me just because the dude wasn't that A-List hire that everyone on here was hoping for, and in a lot of cases, expecting.

I could settle for B list, we got L list. I have disagreed with plenty of his decisions but considering how unwanted he was hes done ok. However the biggest issue is the need to clean house. OK isnt good enough, for once I want exceptional.

What head coach is going to want to come work for an unsecure GM who wasn't in the top 10 choices? Im sick of going through this cycle year after year. I would have kept it all together last year gm and all - get to the playoffs or sack everyone except the cleaning staff.

Instead here we are in the situation of "hmmm maybe we should keep the OC or the GM"

NO NO NO NO NO, if no playoffs this year, sack every last one of them. Offer the biggest money in the NFL to the best GM candidate and let him hire the best HC

No sympathy for last years 12th choice out of pity and no talk of "well Lazor was a rookie give him one more year". No playoffs, no GM no HC No OC

One thing I'm going to be watching this Sunday is how many reps Daniel Thomas gets... I know I know, this is a thread about the GM, but hear me out.

DT gets cut in favor of Williams and Darkwa as the 3rd and 4th RB on the roster. The moment DT gets brought back, he immediately gets the back-up reps. What gives???

Is the coaching staff and personnel staff aligned. Did the coaching staff disagree with the decision to cut him? All speculation I know, but I found it very odd that we saw DT ahead of Darkwa and particularly Williams, last week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree we have to clean house.. man I am bored of coming voicing that statement year after year.. but we do dont we... we have a Jerry Jones type owner who knows little about football and needs to back off.. we have a HC who is not a strong character and is weedy in the way he presents himself.. honestly I dont think he can do the job.. I dont know about Hickey yet.. he picked up some good aquisitions in the off season adn bolstered the line for Tannehill who is still holding the ball until week 17 as his number corroborates... dropped passes are not helping but with Philbin being on the fence over his QB this week #17 cant be feeling good or confident right now. The locker room is ripe for the losing if they have not walked out on Philbin already.. I certainly hope JT and #13 cacn bring a spark back to this once proud and now beleagured franchise
The only thing Jerry Jones and Stephen Ross have in common is that they both own a football franchise. That's about it. Int terms of involvement in the daily business Ross and Jones cannot be compared.

Just more fuel to the fire of weird decisions this staff makes. Curious move as always.

Clean house. I like what Dennis has done. He has surprised me. However, at the end of the day, this team needs to built with the same vision.

I'm with Hayden. I like Hickey. He hasn't been perfect but he's done some good work considering what he inherited. 6 draftees (James, Landry, Turner, Aikens, Tripp, Fede) and a whopping 4 undrafteds (McCain, Williams, Darkwa, Johnson) look good. 10 rookies with potential. He did really well with lower investments on late draft picks and the undrafted crop. Even Lynch and Hazel can't be written off. In free agency he got a stud in Albert. Moreno looks good although he was injury prone and got hurt right away. I didn't like the Finnegan move at the time but he's been better than I thought. Mitchell is a pretty good player. He can get stood up against the run but he has a good motor and is active.

Hickey has not been perfect as you don't see much in terms of high end playmakers. There is redundancy in the receiving corps. You wouldn't want to see Trusnik getting base defense snaps. That shouldn't have happened but Misi, Ellerbe, and Tripp were hurt at same time. I would have liked to see Seantrell Henderson or James Hurst brought in as another OT, and i kept harping on it at draft time in real time. I'm also not sure I agree with some of the lack of keepers for specials.

But overall, if you bring in rooks at the rate he did this year on a consistent basis, you could have a good roster. He wasn't perfect but he has a damn hard job. I'd give him a B plus if I'm grading on a curve after seeing Ireland in action as he abused Miami fans.

Despite my positive view, we can't keep bungling every search. If our desired new guy is a high end candidate with leadership traits and doesn't have a good feel for Hickey then we can move on. We shouldn't limit everything by having Hickey in the way which has been a dysfunction with prior searches (getting a coach with Ireland in the way and then getting a gm with Philbie in the way).

We need a high end guy who can take control and lead more than anything. Hickey's existence can't block that from happening.

Years of horrible drafting could cause Hickey to be valued higher than what he really is. He has made some good decisions but it's not the right situation to keep him on board. Ross needs to do what he failed to do in both 2011 and 2013. Everyone on the operations side of the house has to go. Hire a team president and give him free reign to build from the ground up.

Back
Top Bottom