What about Rice? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What about Rice?

snap

Madden MVP
Reaction score
What would you guys think about us signing Jerry Rice? I think he would be a positive influence in the locker room and a good mentor for Chris Chambers. Have at it!! :cooldude:

Nope.

Someone Im more interested in, if cut on June 1st like its believed he may be, is Johnnie (Sp??) Morton. A good #3.

He is already too old.

Even 1 year is too much.

There are too many better (potentially) options out there: Hakim, Boston, Gardener, Morton etc.

FemaleFinFan said:
If we can sign him to a cheep one year deal sure, but nothing long term. He's getting too old.

Yes. I think now it is getting to the point where you'd be paying for the legendary Rice name, without his legendary performance. No knock on him. He has been the best.

He'd make any of our QB's look good... I'm being serious. I think he's either going to sign with Tampa Bay and play another year or sign with San Francisco (and not play for them but retire). I would love to have Jerry Rice for just one season in Dolphin uniform. Yeah, we saw what it was like with Cris Carter here, and that was a disappointment. But Cris Carter came in during the middle of the season and we had HORRIBLE coaching staff there. Not to mention he made that nice one-handed catch Touchdown from Fiedler on his first or second game with us I believe. I don't think that we will get Rice, but I'd be excited about it if we did. How could anyone say he's got nothing left? Oakland wouldn't throw it to him at all last year, and Hasselbeck had a terrible season. Notice what happened when Trent Dilfer came in and threw it to him... unfortuately he destroyed us and burned Madison and Knight. Give the guy training camp with us, and be AMAZED what he can still do for a 42 year old man. Not to mention the learning experience of alone of what he can teach our WR's is mind-boggling. He would be such a great teacher to ALL of our WR's. Especially Chambers, I think he would benefit from Rice so much. I would be all for signing Jerry Rice, and I bet you all he will surprise here in Miami.

painnotpleasure said:
He'd make any of our QB's look good... I'm being serious. I think he's either going to sign with Tampa Bay and play another year or sign with San Francisco (and not play for them but retire). I would love to have Jerry Rice for just one season in Dolphin uniform. Yeah, we saw what it was like with Cris Carter here, and that was a disappointment. But Cris Carter came in during the middle of the season and we had HORRIBLE coaching staff there. Not to mention he made that nice one-handed catch Touchdown from Fiedler on his first or second game with us I believe. I don't think that we will get Rice, but I'd be excited about it if we did. How could anyone say he's got nothing left? Oakland wouldn't throw it to him at all last year, and Hasselbeck had a terrible season. Notice what happened when Trent Dilfer came in and threw it to him... unfortuately he destroyed us and burned Madison and Knight. Give the guy training camp with us, and be AMAZED what he can still do for a 42 year old man. Not to mention the learning experience of alone of what he can teach our WR's is mind-boggling. He would be such a great teacher to ALL of our WR's. Especially Chambers, I think he would benefit from Rice so much. I would be all for signing Jerry Rice, and I bet you all he will surprise here in Miami.

:yeahthat: I pretty much agree with that. I think hed be a good help for Chambers but I just don't know what kind of contract he would want and how much he can still produce. I would rather we get Boston back though.

If we're going to sign old guys, I'd rather have Deion.

Id rather we passed on him because he needs to retire. Its getting to the point where he is embarrassing himself by literally begging teams to sign him. I know he loves the game and that he could probaly be a decent 3rd Wr on a team but he shouldnt want to be a 3rd Wr. He should have more pride than that. When athletes hang on too long it gets pathetic to watch. I never want to feel sorry for Jerry Rice, hes too good a player and person.

I have always like Rice. I think he can contribute. I actually, along with another poster on here, had a dream that we signed him. I know Saban won't, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

I could only imagine if Finheaven was around in the early to mid 90's... I could picture it now. Lets say Rice was a Free Agent. You would be seeing posts like, the guy is almost 30 year olds, he's only got a couple of good years left in him at BEST! :rolleyes:

Who would've thought those couple of years would have resulted in 12+ more. :lol:

Yeah, maybe it is time for Rice to retire. I just don't think he "has to" though, I think it should be entirely up to him and his own decision. Let him retire on his own whether it's now or one more season. The guy proved he could still be amazing after 40. And if it wasn't for Warren Sapp using his 3 TONS of weight and injurying Rice for the entire season and slowing him down for the rest of his career... Rice might be playing until he's 49 and still be better than half the WR's in the NFL. That injury took him out the whole season, and he was never the same since... scary just thinking about WHAT IF...

Back
Top Bottom