What are Crowder's Character/Off-field issues? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What are Crowder's Character/Off-field issues?

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I see alot of people saying he is sortve a punk/ahole.. I didnt recall hearing much about his character before.. So what did he do in the past? And has he gotten over any of those issues?

A lot of legal issues have harnessed my perception on him. I believe he's been in a few fights...I'm not too sure about specific stuff though.

But I'm glad we got him. Saban is taking on two nasty natured players in Roth and Crowder so I hope he knows what he's in for.

sask rider said:
bar fights,,, same thing roth is getting praise for

Funny how that works.. I love double-standards.

The only off-field incident I am aware of involved a fight at a party where he picked up a keg and threw it at someone. One of his teammates deflected it, otherwise the target would have probably been hurt pretty bad. The reports I heard said he was appropriately contrite (the next day).

MiamiMan147 said:
Roth wasn't arrested multiple times.

What were the arrests for? Bar Fights.. The "Urban Legend" was that Roth cleared a whole bar out once.. Apparently there were no cops there to arrest him in Iowa though..

I dont particularly like a guy who goes out picking fights allover the place, but then again, I dont know the context of these fights or these issues.. but that kind of toughness and meaness is neccesary in a defensive player imo, as long as its a little bit tempered.

Big deal they fight. They're steals and they aren't stupid like Cecil Collins.

SkapePhin said:
What were the arrests for? Bar Fights.. The "Urban Legend" was that Roth cleared a whole bar out once.. Apparently there were no cops there to arrest him in Iowa though..

I dont particularly like a guy who goes out picking fights allover the place, but then again, I dont know the context of these fights or these issues.. but that kind of toughness and meaness is neccesary in a defensive player imo, as long as its a little bit tempered.

Believe me when I tell you that there are plenty of cops in Iowa. Especially Iowa City, where Roth played ball. Next nearest city from Iowa City is Cedar Rapids...which in fact has an even larger police presence. I might be inclined to call some friends back home and find out how true this "Urban Legend" actually is.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
true, Roth apperently just beat up an entire bar full of people

For some reason, that really made me laugh. I'm in a library, laughing out loud :roflmao:

Dolfan73 said:
Believe me when I tell you that there are plenty of cops in Iowa. Especially Iowa City, where Roth played ball. Next nearest city from Iowa City is Cedar Rapids...which in fact has an even larger police presence. I might be inclined to call some friends back home and find out how true this "Urban Legend" actually is.

I dont know, the "urban legend" was reported in the paper and verified by his teamates.. So thats what I was going off of.

There was the famous incident of a top LB prospect from Miami who on a recruiting trip to Gainsvelle was accompanied to a bar by Crowder and they both got into a fight with someone else.Then he again got into another bar fight in a Gainsville bar at a later date.Trouble seems to find him.

The recruit later got into trouble for harrasing a girl and throwing a firecontrol device through a window in his motel.It later turned out the recruit was on probation.Williams I think is his name.I think the UM gave him a scholarship anyway.

We keep the new young rich man out of clubs in a party town like Miami then he'll be just fine. :D

CrunchTime said:
There was the famous incident of a top LB prospect from Miami who on a recruiting trip to Gainsvelle was accompanied to a bar by Crowder and they both got into a fight with someone else.Then he again go into another fight in a Gainsville bar at a later date.Trouble seems to find him.

The recruit later got into trouble for harrasing a girl and throwing a firecontrol device through a window in his motel.

That was Willie Williams. He also blew a knee in fall practice last year.

Here's a link to an article detailing the problems for both Randy Crowder and Channing: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2004/10/31/a1b_crowder_1031.html

It says Channing beat a man unconscious outside a Gainesville nightclub. Later he was charged with disorderly conduct at the same nightclub, violating his probation from the first offense. He got off with only 20 hours community service.

Light sentencing seems to smile on the Crowder family. I remember his dad very well, a smallish but quick defensive lineman from Penn St. The Dolphins were trying to recover from a disastrous '76 season when Crowder and Don Reese were arrested for trying to sell cocaine to undercover police officers in spring '77. It was a media disaster for the franchise. They were somehow sentenced to only one year in jail, which outraged most observers. The article I linked indicates that sentencing leniency followed the judge throughout the remainder of his career as a black mark.

Back
Top Bottom