What Are You Looking For in the New HC? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Are You Looking For in the New HC?

ac_lanham

The Comeback Kid
Reaction score
With so many applicants interviewing for our head coaching position, I was wondering what some of you were looking for in our new head coach, or who do you think it should be? I know there isn't a recipe for the perfect head coach, so please don't bash the thread for that.

We've seen it all here in these past few years, calm coaches like Wannstedt, hardass coaches like Saban, offensive minded coaches like Cameron, etc. but given the current state of the Dolphins what do you think would be our best course of action and what priorities should the next coach have or specialize in?

Would you prefer...

Younger? Like a Josh McDaniels?
Older like Marty Schotteinheimer?
A first time head coach or someone with previous head coaching experience? College or pro background?
Offensive or defensive minded?
A calm demeanor like Wannstedt or a jerk like Saban?

I'll start. I'd prefer a coach in his younger years. Doesn't have to have prior head coaching experience. I'm not so much worried about offense or defensive specialties as long as they can hire solid coordinators and bring in someone that can develop the quarterback. I'd rather have a teacher type coach who doesn't do too much yelling like Nick Saban or some of his offspring such as Pelini or Derek Dooley. I don't think grown men respond to that too well.

My ideal candidates?
Dave Toub
Mike Zimmer
Joe Philbin

I want someone who is not about the money. I want someone who WANTS to be here and is hungry for the chance to prove themselves. I want a leader that will take control of this team and get us going in the right direction for years to come.

Someone who holds the team and organization accountable for their mistakes, on and off the field. A teacher, a motivator, and an innovator.

AC - I like Mike Zimmer and one guy I'd really like to see interviewed is Tom Clements. I think he'd be an outstanding HC.

A coach with experience, with conviction, who is a natural leader the players will follow, and strong schematically. A man who is hungry for the opportunity, has a solid coaching record with success at numerous places he's been over a sustained period of time, and a guy who is well regarded throughout the league and able to construct a solid staff.

In short, Mike Zimmer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want Philbin, I looked up his bio and the body of work that guy has down with Packers is impressive.
He's been the OC there since 2007 and has solid numbers every year.
The players love Joe and I would love to have him lead our team into the future.

i don't think we could go wrong with any of these guys we interview, especially with zimmer, or philbin, both of them are winners, zimmer made that bengal defense respectable, philbin, is another one of those offensive minded packer assistants that will be a coach, all of them have become good coaches.

i also would not mind carmichael, the good thing with him is he will most likely bring one of those wr's which we need, either of the offensive guys we bring, they will bring a player that will make an immediate impact. philbin=flynn, carmichael=wr

I want someone that s going to open up the offense. I would rather have an offensive minded HC, i.e. OC. In my experience, DCs are too conservative, try to play too close to the vest. JMHO.

I'm looking for a leader and a coach who changes the culture of a team. Bret Bielema is that man. We need to make a move for a young Shula and he's the guy. We would win a super bowl within three years with Bielema. Even if we didn't, he'd get his players to believe they did. He's that good. Dude is a winner. Let's get him. Before all the other teams do.

Bielema... Wow. Never put much thought in him. He's a very charismatic guy. I won't say we shouldn't take a look at college coaches simply because of the success Jim Harbaugh is having I'm San Francisco.

Bielema... Wow. Never put much thought in him. He's a very charismatic guy. I won't say we shouldn't take a look at college coaches simply because of the success Jim Harbaugh is having I'm San Francisco.

My problem with Bielema is that he's choked in some big games with his decision making.

As for the topic, I want a guy with a plan. My big issue with Tony was that he wasn't executing his plan as head coach, he was executing Bill Parcells's plan. That's why I'm fairly open minded with the coaching search. Now I didn't want guys like Gregg Williams or Jim Haslett.

Jim Harbaugh is a different animal all together though. He played in the NFL for 15 years, he was known as a player to be gritty and tough and was given the moniker capt. comeback when he was with the Colts. He comes from a family of coaches and he showed his worth as a coach when he turned the University of San Diego into a respectable and pretty good college program before jumping to Stanford. Harbaugh was made to coach in the NFL. There just aren't any coaches with that type of background, that type of attitude, that type of experience as a player and coach in the college ranks right now.

For me my list is:

1. Joe Philbin
Reason: Would bring the WCO to Miami and keep the 3-4 defense already in place. Only staff turnover would come on the offensive side of the ball. Knows how to train up a QB by evidence of Matt Flynn and Aaron Rodgers. The aggressive offense would be a welcomed sight in Miami. Would give us a chance to develop a QB we draft plus Pat Devlin and possibly trade one later on for more picks.

Cons: Still don't know enough about him as far as his aggressiveness since he doesn't call the plays in Green Bay. No HC experience.

2. Mike Zimmer
Reason: He's got an aggressive personality and as we all know the team normally takes on the personality of their coach. He's been in this league for a while and has a lot of connections so he would be able to put together a pretty good staff I would think. It is said that he is a good talent evaluator and while he won't have final say this might be a way for Ross to see Ireland for the fraud that he is when the drafts don't result in better talent on the field (OK so this is my own little secret "get Ross out of here" plan lol).

Cons: I love the 3-4 and would hate to move back to the 4-3 which is what Zimmer will do. We don't have the personnel for the 4-3 so this may slow down whatever progress we've made as a team since we'll have to spend some draft picks on DEs and linebacker as I think Dansby and possibly Burnett may be the only linebackers we have that can play 4-3 and we don't have but maybe one DE on the roster in Merling and he's probably gone...Langford, Starks, Odrick, McDaniel and Soliai are all DTs in the 4-3...that is if we were to re-sign Langford, McDaniel and Soliai which I don't think we would. Not sure who Zimmer would pick for his OC but I would be OK with Todd Haley but not Hue Jackson or Brian Schottenhiemer. I know some around here like Hue Jackson but I didn't like what I saw in Oakland. Oakland's offense seemed to be feast or famine this year and they didn't play well down the stretch...only put up 14 points against us.

3. Rob Chudzinski
Reason: He turned Derek Anderson into a pro bowler in Cleveland, he set records in Carolina for offense with a rookie QB who he tailored the offense to...two completely different offenses. He was also an OC for the Miami Hurricanes so he's got a lot more experience calling plays than I think people realize. He's innovative and aggressive with his play calling and I think he's one of the few coaches that can get the most out of his QB. I also think he would keep the defensive staff in place and run the 3-4. Something he was familiar with in San Diego and Cleveland.

Cons: Still relatively new in the NFL ranks. Don't know how good of a staff he would be able to put together given his 8 seasons in the NFL. He's young (43) and I wonder if his personality would be one that commands the locker room. I've always understood him to be a fairly quiet guy who's a bit laid back.

Back
Top Bottom