What can OTA’s tell us? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What can OTA’s tell us?

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
It can tell us who is in great shape (I know I am). Which newcomers have the coaches all excited (sometimes it’s good when a coach invests a lot of time in a rookie, always pulling him to the side)? Which players are ultra competitive, pushing the limits of the drills?

Which receivers can get open and make acrobatic catches (but this doesn’t mean much considering the game changes once pads come on…can you say Patrick Turner)? And which defensive backs can cover for prolonged periods, blanketing their receiver (that’s usually Will Allen).

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...sweblog+(Miami+Dolphins+|+Sun-Sentinel+Blogs)

No it doesn't. Everybody looks good in shorts. It gives the veterans a chance to work on skills a the rookie a chance to get familiar with the playbook before camp.

It is a pajama party. The only thing it really does is get the veterans in shape and the rookies familiar with the playbook. It also helps build some chemistry IMO but when the pads come on everything changes. We've had enough OTA and mini camp pro bowlers around here to know (Ted Ginn and Anthony Armstrong come to mind) that when the pads come on that's when the real evaluations begin.

I remember a lot of talk about how bad Cam Wake looked in OTA and mini camp, then the pads came on and he started to show up. Works the other way too.

Evaluating player performance during OTAs is tough. It will howerever provide us where people are going to play and who is in shape. It will also provide us with a hint of our playbooks and how our injured players are coming along.

It is a pajama party. The only thing it really does is get the veterans in shape and the rookies familiar with the playbook. It also helps build some chemistry IMO but when the pads come on everything changes. We've had enough OTA and mini camp pro bowlers around here to know (Ted Ginn and Anthony Armstrong come to mind) that when the pads come on that's when the real evaluations begin.

I remember a lot of talk about how bad Cam Wake looked in OTA and mini camp, then the pads came on and he started to show up. Works the other way too.

Agreed. Its like spring training in baseball. Firstbase man Joe Blow is tearin it up and all you hear is about how he can take the star 1B mans job. And then, he doesn't make the team and drifts off into obscurity.

This OTA have not told us crap, they sound like a gym session more than anything.

Back
Top Bottom