What Changes Are Needed To Propell Us To Sb Contenders? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Changes Are Needed To Propell Us To Sb Contenders?

Just as the question poses. What specific personnel moves need to happen in order for us to become SB contenders?

Easy question, Jim Harbaugh (Or John) as HC, Mike Martz as OC, Wade Phillips as DC, and Aaron Rodgers plays QB.
Super Bowls-a-plenty!

The top 2 Rushing TD offenses are in that list. All 5 teams avg 100 + yards a game. 4 are in the top 15 in rushing offense. The RAMS are 2nd in the NFL in attempts.

Come on man.

Their rushing stats are extremely skewed due to these teams usually being way ahead by the time the 4th quarter comes around. If you watch games like the Rams vs Vikings or the Rams and Saints today you will see that when they play vs level competition the running game is an afterthought in both of their offensive gameplans. Hence the last few super bowls being played they way they have been.

Also the threat of the big passing game is what really opens up the run in today's NFL. You do not want to build a team with an average QB, avg receivers and a dominant running game. The last team to win a super bowl like that was who maybe the Ravens many years ago now? In today's NFL having an elite QB and a dominant passing game is what really opens up the odd long run look at the way the Saints play. Or the Pats. Or the Chiefs

Last edited:
Erm. 2 thirds of a new roster would probably be enough

Getting tired of the amount of OLD people here who are begging for us to go back to being a "tough hard nosed football team"....

Look at the top 5 teams in our 2018 NFL.

Rams
Saints
Pats
Chiefs
Chargers
Which one of these teams is built like that?
Not a single one of them is all that worried about running the ball or stopping the run...its much more about having a dynamic passing attack and creating turnovers on defense.

Look at the last 2 super bowls...Look at the way those teams were made up...NFL has changed.....clinging to an outdated style won't do anything beneficial

Rams vs Saints

Opening drive:

Rams 5 Rushes 38 yards 1 TD

Saints 8 Rushes 47 yards 1 TD

Hmmm.

Their rushing stats are extremely skewed due to these teams usually being way ahead by the time the 4th quarter comes around. If you watch games like the Rams vs Vikings or the Rams and Saints today you will see that when they play vs level competition the running game is an afterthought in both of their offensive gameplans. Hence the last few super bowls being played they way they have been.

Also the threat of the big passing game is what really opens up the run in today's NFL. You do not want to build a team with an average QB, avg receivers and a dominant running game. The last team to win a super bowl like that was who maybe the Ravens many years ago now? In today's NFL having an elite QB and a dominant passing game is what really opens up the odd long run look at the way the Saints play. Or the Pats. Or the Chiefs

giphy (8).gif

Smart ass aside. If you can control your LOS and score on the ground, you will help your chances of winning. It isnt a new thing nor a revolutionary thought, it's just football.

You qualify your statements once the absurdity in your original opinion was exposed. As we see in Miami, because we don't have future HOF like Brees and Brady and we don't have any of the new young promising talents at QB like Mahomes and Goff, we can't even get the middle of our trenches right. So it doesn't matter....this whole discussion is what you have once you can establish running the ball or stopping the run.

Miami did both for 3 games this year. 3. Their best efficient looking offense lasted all of one game, Sittons debut.

The Rams and Saints came out and both ran the ball effectively and efficiently, leading to opening scores. You can't debunk your whole original thought process and subsequent follow up any better than that.

Last edited:
Change must start at the top. Ross needs to sell the team, or find someone who knows what they're doing to make ALL of the football decisions, with the first decision being to fire Tannenbaum, Grier, probably most of the Front Office personnel, and Gase. (The only coach who isn't clueless is Rizzi.)

Most teams can field a half-decent o-line using mid-round picks, yet Miami wastes far too many first round picks and still can't consistently pass-block or run-block. They make huge mistakes when it comes to Free Agent contracts. The Defensive Coordinator is a joke, and the Head Coach (a so-called offensive genius who also calls the plays) is so inept that his offense rarely scores until nearly half-time and they rank at or near the bottom of every offensive category. They have a handful of talented players, and far too many starters that wouldn't make it as a back-up on a good team. There is no quality depth at ANY position.

This is not a professional football team; this is a clown show. Clean house, and build a real team with real Front Office personnel, and real coaches who actually know how to run a football team. I'm sure that there are those who think that replacing Burke and finding a better QB will make them a contender. Does it really matter who's at QB when Gase calls idiotic plays? Philbin started this finesse garbage, and Gase is continuing it. The results have been pathetic; finesse can't block or tackle, and finesse can't force their will on an opponent. Miami went 3-0 because of a few trick plays that worked, and some timely turnovers. Once those lucky breaks no longer went their way, they had to reply on actually playing the tough and physical game of football, and a 1-4 record over the last 5 games shows that this team is not able to do that. CLEAN HOUSE!
I love these “Sell the team” posts. So realistic. :lol:

2dj0v0l.jpg

Rams vs Saints

Opening drive:

Rams 5 Rushes 38 yards 1 TD

Saints 8 Rushes 47 yards 1 TD

Hmmm.

Hmm, the Rams ended the game with right around 90 yds rushing. That opening drive was almost half of their rushing total.

The saints finished with right around 120 yds rushing. Brees picked up a big first down with his legs toward the end of the game.

Passing attack?
Rams: 391 yds, 3 TD.
Saints: 346 yes, 4TD

Might wanna wait till past 9 minutes of the 1st quarter of a game to make a judgement on it....Watching that game really should show people how different the elite teams are now than they were 15 or 20 years ago.

I really don't think its a coincidence that the Rams post their worst rushing performance of the year in the first game they also were mostly behind in. Lends some credence to my argument of winning teams having their rushing totals skewed by being way ahead all the time. What happened to the tough defenses and ground and pound offense? Completely vanish as 2 elite teams duel it out?

Last edited:
I hear the arguments. Tannenbaum has really calmed down and no longer has the power to do huge deals on his own. Grier is one guy that seems to know what he's doing so I'd keep him. We need a new QB but I'd rather be us now than the Jets with Darnold or the Bills with Josh Allen. We're 5-4, and if we get hot we can make the palyoffs. The Bills and the Jets are out. We do need to solve QB.

One thing all good teams have in common- good OL play. The fins need a good, healthy, and consistent OL to get into a groove and actually improve during the season. When OL breaks down play calling and protections have to shift taking to O out of their rhythm. Makes a mess.

The talent is there somewhat. Health has been a problem and we could do better at OL coach.

Make the OL solid and this team can be a 10-12 win team even with some deficiencies elsewhere.

First we need the Oline to get and stay healthy. Next we need 1 big time playmaker RB or WR, someone that teams have to gameplan for, they have to double team or create a gameplan for (that player is not currently on the roster). Next we really need Gesicki to develop into a big time weapon, the potential is there. Stills & Albert Wilson can be big time secondary weapons for us (think Brandin Cooks, Cooper Kupp type roles). I do think we need a better QB Tannehill just hasn’t been good enough or healthy. So 1 stud playmaker and 1 QB for offense, with a hope that Gesicki takes a big step forward in the next year or 2. Defensively we need 1 big time pass rusher, LB Corp could be good enough Kiko and Baker have been solid, K’won has his moments but also limitations I think as they develop they can be good enough. Secondary has 2 good pieces with Minkah And X, they should be our future and just need to surround them with quality players. 1 more good CB would be ideal. So Elite Pass Rusher, #2 CB, Big time Offensive threat, Qb, Healthy Oline, Gesicki development. I think that makes us a legitimate SB threat, it’s a lot. But If Minkah, Gesicki and Baker all pan out that’s a great start. Combine that with Tunsil and X being good picks and our drafting has been much improved in recent years (minus Charles Harris whose still a toss up, but trending towards bust)

Improving the talent on the roster is the first step, and I believe you are starting to see it. I have seen enough from Minkah and Baker to be confident that the talent on defense has improved. I even saw improvement from McMillian during the Jets game, but I am not sure he can be a good Mike. I am sold that Tunsil will be a decent LT, but we badly need an effective center. If we get an above average center ...BAM! ... we will score points.

While I don't like being old, I'll take old school any day of the week!!! Smash Mouth Football is a proven winner. Today's football is built for today's rules. But it doesn't mean teams that are elite in today's game, don't have old school mentality, as another poster pointed out.

Healthy Tannehill.

Upgrade pass rush.

One starting caliber boundary CB.

Healthy Sitton, plus one or two young stud guards, and one young stud center.

Healthy DeVante or Alpha WR.

That's a start.

It makes me laugh to hear that a healthy Bottom QB would propel us to the Superbowl!!!!!

The two things that are crucial to have a chance are good coaching, starting with the HC whom I dont think we have. And the second Is a good QB whom I definitelly think that we dont have. My hope Is Harbaugh and a new QB landing in the next two years.

Back
Top Bottom