What did they have we didnt? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What did they have we didnt?

Disgustipate

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
I'm talking about the 1999 Redskins. The Norv Turner coached 1999 Redskins. This is something that excites me about next season, because the more I think about it the more it seems like Norv is trying to follow that pattern.

What I'm talking about is the 1999 Redskins offense. It was the first team ever to have a 4000 yard passer, 2 1000 yard recievers, and a 1400 yard rb.

Here's a link to the stats. http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/stats.nsf/Annual/1999-was

Now, that seems lofty..but look at the talent they had at those positions..

QB- Brad Johnson- He's probabaly better then Fiedler, but by no means leaps and bounds. Both are QB's who play within the offense and are there to manage and not make mistakes, not carry the team on their back.

RB- Ricky compares favorably to Stephen Davis in basically all aspects of the game. Better runner, better pass catcher.

WRs- We have much better WR's then they had. Neither of the WR's they have had a 1000 yard before and after that year. Hell, neither of them are in the NFL anymore. All of their seasons besides the 1999 season were below all of Thompson and Chambers seasons so far.

As for non WR threats, we can do the same as they did, but it'll be more of a mix between players. Centers and Davis had 655 yards combined. Last year Ricky and Konrad had about 600. Konrad evidently will see an increased role next year.

I think we can match them Tight End wise, too. I think McMicheal can be a better TE then Stephen Alexander.

I really think we can achieve the same kind of reletive offensive stats. We may have shifts in some areas, it's definately not out of reach. It's just exciting to see what a Norv Turner offense can do when it gets going, and how we have virtually all the tools to use it.

The main difference....simply put.....is they had a QB with a better arm. Brad Johnson could chunk it deep. And Connell and Westbrook were very adept at getting deep. Having Larry Centers out of the backfield was a big help as well.

Still, Konrad is more than adequate in that role. But our QB and WRs still have to prove that they can be as effective Johnson to Connell and Westbrook.

The question isn't what did they have that we don't, the question is what do we have that that they didn't. The answer is Dave Wanstedt putting hand cuffs on the offense. It also helps to keep your starting WRs and QB healthy for the entire season.

One thing we can take comfort in.........this year is going to be balls-to-the-wall. The writing is on the wall. Heck, it was right in our face at the owner's meetings. And Wanny has pledged we won't let up. But we'll see how things play out.

Originally posted by Dajesus
The question isn't what did they have that we don't, the question is what do we have that that they didn't. The answer is Dave Wanstedt putting hand cuffs on the offense.

EXACTLY...

Wannstedt has to let Turner run the Offense, isn't that why he brought him here???

i dont care if we dont get the stats, all i want is a freaking SB , so we can shut everyone up saying that the dolphins suck.. I dont get why many people dont like the dolphins besides people from florida and miami...

Because they are winning every year, so it's easy to hate them. Why don't you hate the Bengals or Cardinals ? Because you have nothing to fear about them...

Originally posted by Muck
The main difference....simply put.....is they had a QB with a better arm. Brad Johnson could chunk it deep. And Connell and Westbrook were very adept at getting deep. Having Larry Centers out of the backfield was a big help as well.

Still, Konrad is more than adequate in that role. But our QB and WRs still have to prove that they can be as effective Johnson to Connell and Westbrook.

Agreed, but this post is why I said start CC and McKnight, they both can get deep, if Jay hits them 1 out of ever 3 attempts, this will prove beneficial..Westbrook and Connell had speed, and CC and McKnight also...again, speed kills in this league and McKnight's catching the ball very well since last year will pay big dividents...I'm looking forward to this year, if they keep the line up they have now, even if DT starts opposite CC, I can handle that better than OG, the slow slugg starting opposite CC.

Dolfans1988, I kinda like the fact that the Fins are one of the most hated teams....I like playing the villian role

the 2 big differences IMO are Wanne is the HC, not Norv and we have a far superior D making putting up #s on O less important

Originally posted by Dajesus
The question isn't what did they have that we don't, the question is what do we have that that they didn't. The answer is Dave Wanstedt putting hand cuffs on the offense. It also helps to keep your starting WRs and QB healthy for the entire season.

Dajesus is right on the money.Dave Wanstedt philosophy is too conservatice.Brad Johnson arm strength is not any stronger than Jay in my opinion.Bottom line is Jay needs to remain healthy through out camp and preseason to work on his timming.Jay has the arm strength but he just inconsistent.

Wan has got all the weapons he needs to succeed, the players need the motivation and confidence which I hope they will this year.

Originally posted by Disgustipate
I'm talking about the 1999 Redskins. The Norv Turner coached 1999 Redskins. This is something that excites me about next season, because the more I think about it the more it seems like Norv is trying to follow that pattern.

What I'm talking about is the 1999 Redskins offense. It was the first team ever to have a 4000 yard passer, 2 1000 yard recievers, and a 1400 yard rb.

Here's a link to the stats. http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/stats.nsf/Annual/1999-was

Now, that seems lofty..but look at the talent they had at those positions..

QB- Brad Johnson- He's probabaly better then Fiedler, but by no means leaps and bounds. Both are QB's who play within the offense and are there to manage and not make mistakes, not carry the team on their back.

RB- Ricky compares favorably to Stephen Davis in basically all aspects of the game. Better runner, better pass catcher.

WRs- We have much better WR's then they had. Neither of the WR's they have had a 1000 yard before and after that year. Hell, neither of them are in the NFL anymore. All of their seasons besides the 1999 season were below all of Thompson and Chambers seasons so far.

As for non WR threats, we can do the same as they did, but it'll be more of a mix between players. Centers and Davis had 655 yards combined. Last year Ricky and Konrad had about 600. Konrad evidently will see an increased role next year.

I think we can match them Tight End wise, too. I think McMicheal can be a better TE then Stephen Alexander.

I really think we can achieve the same kind of reletive offensive stats. We may have shifts in some areas, it's definately not out of reach. It's just exciting to see what a Norv Turner offense can do when it gets going, and how we have virtually all the tools to use it.

You hit the nail dead on. I strongly believe our offense will have similair numbers. I really don't see the reason it shouldn't. Our offense is going to be "The Greatest Show On Grass" this year, mark my word..

Re: Re: What did they have we didnt?

Originally posted by CRAZYDOLFAN305

Our offense is going to be "The Greatest Show On Grass" this year, mark my word..

Well, we were that last year with Ricky alone. Who wasn't excited as hell to see our offense on the field? Now how long has it been since you've felt like that about our O? Ricky IS the greatest show on grass.

I absolutely loved running plays. It was so neat to a play unfold from an endzone cam behind the offense. Norv's rushing attack is such a joy to see.

Back
Top Bottom