What direction do we go for the draft?

FIN-IN-RI

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Trade down?
Quarterback?
Runningback?
Defense?

I want us to trade down so we can accumulate more picks, but is it feasible or even possible without a solid #2 comming out?

Agreed that there isn't a consensus #2 overall in the draft - for a team with as many needs as ours.

That's not to say that there isn't a team that believes it is one great player away from a championship, and wants to be sure they get him - thereby making that second pick a valuable commodity.

For instance, let's say San Diego goes deep into the playoffs now, and decides that what they need to get them to the big show is a big-play WR - they might target a guy like Williams, and knowing they might not get him with their first pick, be willing to part with both their first-rounders, or a 1 and 2 plus a lower pick to move up and be assured of being able to take him.

That kind of scenario could occur with any number of solid teams that feel they are close, and one guy could put them over the top.

i'm kinda gettin' a jimmy johnson feeling about this offseason. i think saban will want to try and fill as many holes as possible as soon as possible ala JJ in '96. i think he will focus more on O however. so, trade down is what i think is gonna happen.

Obviously, we need to see who is on the team at the end of April, we may be without Sam and Pat for all we know, but now I have to say we s/trade down so that we can get a 2nd or 3rd rder added on. I w/love up to either get a sure fire Pro Bowl center or a quality of LT in the first round. If we trade well, we should be able to get some decent talent with whatever we get from trading down to fill other holes like at DT.

I'm hoping we can fill in other QBs and RBs via FA to compete with Feeley and Gordon/Morris.

P.s.

here's a little summary from Herald Plenty to address with No. 2 draft pick

• Quarterback. A.J. Feeley, who was unable to play Sunday because of injury, said he believes the future of the position is ''promising'' after he received extensive playing time during the second half of the season.

The problem for the Dolphins is that this year's draft currently is bereft of star-quality. That could change if USC quarterback Matt Leinart changes his mind and enters the draft and/or Cal's Aaron Rodgers comes out, but even Leinart, who won the Heisman Trophy, and Rodgers are not considered truly great players.

• Running back. Sammy Morris was effective but is a long way from a star-quality back. The Dolphins, who have Lamar Gordon recovering from shoulder surgery, might be tempted to take a back early.

• Defensive tackle. With Tim Bowens and Larry Chester suffering injuries this season and Bowens showing increasing signs of age, the Dolphins might replenish a crucial position.

• Left tackle. Damion McIntosh believes that, given time to heal his ankle, he can be the answer for the Dolphins in the future.
no talk of trading down :hmmm:

• Left tackle. Damion McIntosh believes that, given time to heal his ankle, he can be the answer for the Dolphins in the future.

This is where it gets tricky.

I'd be all for giving the guy a chance when healthy, except for: the rep on him from SD was that he wasn't that good at all; in fact, didn't I hear something about his having a less-than flattering nickname like "Turnstile," or was that someone else?

So, what if we go into next year counting on him, and hold off investing a high pick in a LT - and when he heals he's still not what we want? It would be another year of uncertainty and poor play at this crucial position.

turnstile was St Clair as LT. McIntosh and St Clair are solid backup OLmen as our almost all 5 of our starters :(

NaboCane said:

This is where it gets tricky.

I'd be all for giving the guy a chance when healthy, except for: the rep on him from SD was that he wasn't that good at all; in fact, didn't I hear something about his having a less-than flattering nickname like "Turnstile," or was that someone else?

So, what if we go into next year counting on him, and hold off investing a high pick in a LT - and when he heals he's still not what we want? It would be another year of uncertainty and poor play at this crucial position.
St. Claire was annointed the "turnstile" nickname in St. Louis I believe, but I could be wrong.

All I hear from SD fans is how horrible McIntosh was for them and how he was always causing false starts and holding penalties.

I wonder if we go after Ball again...:hmmm:

I knew it was either him or St. Clair that carried the unflattering nickname; but isn't it hard to tell about either of them, since they have been gamers and played on injuries that kept them from being 100% all season?

Does anyone have solid analysis of McIntosh and St. Clair from their previous tenures, because all I recall having to go on was anecdotal evidence form other teams' fans posting here.

Anyway, I can't see Saban being happy with rebuilding around either of these guys, or for that matter anyone on our late-season starting line, except Hadnot.

It will interesting to see how he handles Carey, and how Carey responds to what will almost certainly be a sound @ss-kicking from Saban regarding his work habits and motivation.

would he kick Speilman's or Carey's arse first :D

dolphan39 said:
would he kick Speilman's or Carey's arse first :D

I honestly believe that if he's been watching the Spielman situation from a professional perspective, that he can't fail to be impressed by the way that Spielman has done parts of his job.

I also believe that whether Spielman stays or goes will depend more on personality and chemistry, the performance issue aside.

As inFINS pointed out earlier, Spielman does tend to arrogance, and whether he can temper that will be a huge factor in In Saban's decision.

very good points. Speilman certainly did all he c/ to make up for Ricky's loss other than blowing a 4th rd pick to get Carey. I do not think it was enuf as far as things like Jeno James being our biggest FA signing. He was so-so. Speilman will be replaced if as you say he is not one to go along w/Saban and realize his new role quickly

I like the idea of going after Ball again, if he recovers from his injury he could fill a big hole for us at Center. Then, you take McKinney as back up center or let him battle Hadnot for Guard.

I like the idea of trading down, but it means someone wants to trade up. The prices paid last season (say, the Giants) will make it prohibative for teams to make the move. With the holes on the team I'd say that more picks are good, but who knows.

So many scenarios at this point that it's hard to guess. The biggest wildcard is what does Saban want to do at QB -- if he wants to draft a QB at #2, or sign a player (such as Brees) our draft changes dramatically.

I'll be honest, I like Jason Ball; I think we should draft Center high, but re-sign Ball to provide veteran (relatively speaking) backup for the position.

I truly don't want to see McKinney or Whitley in a Phins' uniform next season. I really, really don't.

Back
Top Bottom