What do you guys think? Is this tank unethical? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What do you guys think? Is this tank unethical?

Dolphins unethical?

• Total voters
The shield protects accused rapists, cheaters and murderers- but frowns on a franchise that needs to start all over by rebuilding. lmao.
Maybe the NFL is really a satanic cult.
No it doesn't. I'm curious why you'd continue to support a league you believe that about.

Not unethical... And this terminology thing is jut silly. It's a rebuild and a tank. You can do one without neccessarily doing the other, but in our case it just is what it is.

Unethical would be stringing out these years of terrible play we are forced to endure with a few showy signings just to sell some more tickets each year.

Unethical would be hiring Tannenbaum in the first place to come in and do exactly what most people knew he would come in here and do, destroy the team in the present and near future.

Tannenbaum is finally gone and now we're taking the shortest route available to get away from the mess he left us in. The tanking is just a result.

Understatement of the year

It has to be about the Patriots, they have owned the division for the last decade +

It also has to be about 25-30 top self players collected in the 1st-3rd round to go after them

Winning super bowls has to be the goal

I guess the issue is that we are doing this far more brazenly and obviously than anyone else in the past. People refer to the Colts but what we are doing is a million miles more advanced than starting Curtis Painter for 10 games. This is top quality tanking. I'm all for it, but I think how little we care about trying to uphold the myth of parity and 'any given Sunday' is what is aggravating a bunch of uptight talking heads into flapping their gums about it. As usual a bunch of dipshits not clever enough to talk about Xs and Os wheeled out in front of a camera to fill time by saying something mildly controversial.

While not immoral I think the fans are getting a raw deal, but then when has the NFL ever given a **** about the fans. The league exists to make the owners money, hence you pay full price for preseason games, concessions and tickets are outrageously expensive an there's never any kind of refund, financially or emotionally, if the service is not what was offered. I'd like to see more of an acknowledgement of what is going on rather that just trotting out Brian Flores with the same 'we're not tanking lol' line, but that appears to be unrealistic.

There is a line of thought that we're doing is cheating, or taking the easy option. I can see that, and I understand why there will be GMs and coaches at good teams who might suggest that we employ the right people in the right positions and give them the right tools to do a decent job. That's not an unreasonable take, and it's something we've tried and failed at. Does that mean what we're doing is cheating or immoral? No, but I understand if there are 31 sets of GMs and execs out there willing us to fail at this as well.

A point has also been made that it's immoral to ask players to put their health on the line when the team has no interest in winning, but that isn't true. The whole reason this happening is because the team wants to win, it's just a longer term project. This is not the Marlins, we aren't dumping contracts and running a cheap-ass roster simply to save money every year, there is a plan in place, and while I don't necessarily agree with the severity on which the roster has been cut it's not simply a money-saving exercise.

Finally there's the point raised about hat we're doing being immoral regarding the league's credibility and 'protecting the shield'. That what we're doing isn't 'the right thing to do'. Don't make me ****ing laugh. An organisation in which owners collude to blacklist players they see as troublemakers, in which teams hide behind the 'there weren't any charges raised' excuse to continue to employ wife-beaters and child abusers, in which charities and armed forces are given a platform to promote but then have to pay for that platform, in which the Patriots have been repeatedly caught breaking rules (and there will be many more times they and other teams have not been caught) in the name of marginal gains, in which mentally ill players are still pushed to limits with complete disregard for their own health as long as it might contribute to an extra win, in which players (under the instructions of coaches and under their own volition) deliberately break rules put in place to protect the safety of other players in order to make plays and improve their own chances of success and getting paid. Are these 'the right way to do things'? And for the right reasons? Anybody trying to claim the we aren't acting 'in the spirit of the game' can go **** themselves.

Hasn't anybody thought for a second we are not tanking. That we are just a bad football team?

Come on guys.

1. Three New Qbs on the team learning the plays.

2. The worst Oline in pro football this year.

3. No pass rush whatsoever.

Look at it this way. Flores is not going to tell the players to just lose games. The word would leak out. And everybody and the press will know.

We are practicing hard and trying to win football games.

These are practically highschool to college players on this team. Very young.Getting stronger and better with time.

With the next couple of draft and 4 or 5 years in the bag , the current players on this team and the draftees will be much much better.

No it doesn't. I'm curious why you'd continue to support a league you believe that about.
I don't support the shield! I do support one of its teams. "The NFL wasn't always the way it is today! Its a dirty market.

And yes it does!

Hasn't anybody thought for a second we are not tanking. That we are just a bad football team?

Come on guys.

Look at it this way. Flores is not going to tell the players to just lose games. The word would leak out. And everybody and the press will know.

These are practically highschool to college players on this team. Very young.Getting stronger and better with time.

With the next couple of draft and 4 or 5 years in the bag , the current players on this team and the draftees will be much much better.
Have you asked yourself why we're bad team? Why we have a roster made up of youngsters from other team's practice squads even though we have the lowest cash salary in the league, by some distance? Why we're happy to trade away our best players for future picks? Why we're making bizarre personnel decisions on the lines?

What you describe is true, but it isn't evidence that we aren't tanking, it's caused by the fact we are. The desire to tank is why these decisions were made, we didn't accidentally end up with a historically bad roster despite having loads of money to spend. If we weren't tanking then we wouldn't have three new QBs, or the worst OL in football, or no pass rush. Those things would have been addressed.

Come on guys.

Again, no coach or player is trying to lose.....the FO removed all the talent to make that possible.

I honestly never imagined the draft compensation we accrued on top of the number 1 pick most likely. We have honestly robbed the texans and steelers.. Those are moves you have to take in my view, Yeah minkah had potential but never really put it on tape and frankly. Tunsil yeah he was good but not great and i don't think he is ever gonna get there.. I've seen him get beat in houston multiple times and don't give me its a new system crap.. As a LT his job is to take care of the RE he just gets beat from time to time.

As for tanking being unethical, I call STRAIGHT BS..

1. Danger-- These young kids and UDFA's who wouldn't be given a shot to play and would be hovering on other teams practice squads or out the NFL.. They are professional athletes getting the shot of their lives and i don't doubt we will end up finding a few gems out of all this. I can understand for the QB absolutely, Every other player absolutely not, If playing in a starting lineup is dangerous to them well they shouldn't be in the NFL frankly.. I've said if I were Ryan fitzpatrick I woulda pulled an Andrew Luck, he already made his money.. but for guys like Rosen, Rudock, and whomever else its a shot no other team was going to give them and its up to them to make the most of it.

2. Fans-- I mean every rational dolphin fan could see the writing on the wall, This is the only year in the past 27 i avoided watching preseason, Regular Season, and more because i know exactly what this season is gonna look like to get where we NEED to get to.. Go play Golf, Sports, Whatever on sundays but i wouldn't watch the fins because if i did i'd probably be pissed every sunday this year.

3. Fairness--- Umm yeah, We aren't the creators or starters of the Tank, IN ALL ABSOLUTE HONESTY.. Alot of other teams in the NFL need to tank because the NFL has almost ZERO parity anymore.. The pats have been in half of the last 20 superbowls.. If your going to dethrone them you can't just do it one addition at a time you need a ton of talent, Youth, Potential, that you simply can't add with a 7 round draft.. Too many teams are like Cincy, Tennessee, Dolphins, jets,bills,jags, Bucs,49ers.. I could go on and on but teams get locked into an average QB, overpay talent, just to TRED water.. Its a waste year in year out. If you want to see the success of teams tanking and stockpiling draft picks watch Cleveland, Watch the 76ers who were kings of tanking.. It aint pretty for one year but it works...

Cleveland? It took them 15 years of tanking to get anywhere, and they aren't exactly great are they. Can you think of any others, apart from Dallas?

Going to be real comical watching us play Cincinnati this year. I do think what we are doing is unethical and disingenuous to competitiveness. It is one thing to trade players from a previous regime when you want a makeover and another to sell the farm and start from scratch. You should have to be required to field a team that is competitive. I see that we are doing nothing outside the rules and the upside is undeniable I guess, but I don’t think anyone ever imagined the tank was so blatantly real as what the Dolphins are doing. They are forfeiting a season. It seems shameful.
Sounds like your trying to have your cake and eat it at the same time. How can the nfl require a team to be competitive? You can't be sure until the end of the season!

Cleveland? It took them 15 years of tanking to get anywhere, and they aren't exactly great are they. Can you think of any others, apart from Dallas?
And what did fifteen years of not tanking get the Dolphins? 3 winning seasons, 2 butt kickings in the first round of the playoffs, and 10 seasons under .500 (adding up to an average of under 7 wins a year).

One thing is for sure, if we continue to get blown out I think the NFL will seriously consider introducing a lottery of some sort. it is definitely embarrassing to the league. The winless Lions and Browns seasons had a lot of competitive games.

No. The issue people have is that we basically took an approach teams in other sports take where they sell off pieces they have for assets for future. Most teams that rebuild usually dont turn over their roster as quickly as we did. But in truth, even if we didnt do this with Tua eligible the team was headed to cap hell because of some of the contracts and extensions Tannenbaum gave.

Back
Top Bottom