What do you guys think of Artificial Turf | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What do you guys think of Artificial Turf

cmax13

Love my kids, 420 and foosball
Reaction score
i think with all the new technology that's available, with the surface they have in seattle and detroit, and with grow light technology being what it is, it's a disgrace to have any of the old carpet around anywhere, in any sport.

there's no excuse for it, in domed stadiums, northern tier stadiums, or anywhere for that matter. if i was a player i think i'd try to organize a strike for the newer surfaces in all sports that use some kind of "grass" on their field.

i guess except for golf, which i don't care about, but the courses all seem to be well maintained. and when you can't even whisper as a fan, you know those guys and gals would complain about a bad surface, for sure.

i'm just curious what the rest of you think. maybe we'd still have OJ McDuffie, and many other players around the league still playing, if it weren't for the carpets.

:mad: I agree! There's no longer any excuse for these gridirons that are hard as iron. Sammy went down last year up there in the RCA Dome and don't even get my started on the Vet!

We now have PROOF that this no longer has to be! Tagliabue (sp?), the owners and players should be able to push through a rule on this. How many more careers needlessly end? And how many games decided by needless injuries?

Turf is much more inexpensive to maintian. Also depending on how much the filed is used some places up north it's better to have turf. Personally I hate it, just listing 2 reasons why it's still around.

I hate turf, so do most players..it's not as giving as grass and the burns, ooooh...More injuries occur on turf than generally in grass..but our teams seems to play on it pretty well.

it cracks me up that players can't take ephedrine anymore, but the nfl is willing to let them end their careers on artificial turf! if i lost my career because of that sh1t, i'd have a lawyer and would see the nfl's a$$ in court...then they might think twice about letting these teams keep these rugs to play on!

An article I saw in the Detroit News stated that FieldTurf costs $500,000. That's a lot a bucks, but when you consider the price of a stadium these days--and I would consider the field to be an important part--the cost of this turf would be, what, 0.1% of the total cost?

I know those carpets are cheap, but I think the decision to use them is not being made by the one who should make that decision. And I'd be willing to bet, they're going to have to change it anyway.

Check out this article:
A cut above the rest: High-tech artificial turf grows on players

Bottom line is there's still concrete under it. And as it wears, I'm sure the players will notice..nothing can beat good ol mother nature..

Did anyone know there is Turf in JRS?

Well, it's true! During the baseball season there is a chunk of artificial turf about 20 feet long by 10 feet wide. It's near the third base line.

I hate artificial turf. It isn't that bad in baseball (although I do hate it in baseball and my favorite team used to play on turf0, but it is the worst in football cause of the injuries.

run ricky run,

i read that article, as well as one from the seattle papers about the seahawks new stadium, and it seems these are the way to go for any teams that would have problems keeping the grass alive. the players the reporters have talked to seem to really like the "new" artificial surfaces. i think it would be a good thing in both football and baseball.

Turf is nothing but news. I only played a couple games on it, but I was always a lot more wounded after those games. It really sucks seeing your team mates, or even players on the other team, go down cuz its so hard. Turf is ridiculous. The only thing it does is make the game seem faster to the players. I say replace it all......

cmax,

Ricky has to deal with pain in his shoulders, and said that he's separated both of them. I don't know if it happened on that rug in the Super Dome, but it seems to me that after having to be slammed down on that carpet in as many games as he played up there (and considering the way he plays :fire: ), it must be just another reason why he would be so happy to be a Dolphin.

Our team has to deal with enough pain without having something as silly as a field to contend with.

i hate turf also, i had to play on it once in collage and i was out for a year with a knee injury...... why cant all stadiums be like houstons??????

Dol_Fan5434,

That would be nice, but I would assume that kind of turf is even more expensive than the FieldTurf. We'd have to promote rodeos in all of these towns that have rugs. I don't know if it would be a sell in Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Buffalo, etc.

I think the stadium is great, though! The ability to open the roof, and let all that noise out when the Dolphins come to town! :lol:

The Ralph in Buffalo has turf as I'm sure you know. Fans here have long wished they'd go to a grass field. I think the team has resisted it because it's so hard to keep grass in good condition when the November rains hit. Grass won't grow when the temps drop below 50. Anyway, the Bills are experimenting with a new turf that has some give to it. If it works well in their pracitice facility, they will replace the surface in the Ralph with it. I'm sure the problems with turf burns will remain, but hopefully it won't be as rough on knees and other joints.

Back
Top Bottom