What do you think about Dennis Hickey? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What do you think about Dennis Hickey?

He signed those guys to cheap short term contracts.
He rolled the dice that those dudes would last the season and some of them did and others didn't.

It is highly superior to signing bad players to long term contracts like Wheeler or average players to huge contracts like Ellerbee and Wallace.

Everyone is looking for the cheap solid player. Guys hit FA for a reason.

Hickey isn't Ozzie Newsome, but he's a huge upgrade over Jeff Ireland. Jeff Ireland blows. Jeff Ireland was the worst general manager in the NFL since Matt Millen. I hate Jeff Ireland.

We'll find out a lot more about Hickey this year as far as his talent evaluation goes. If we get anything out of any combination of Tripp, McCain, Turner, Johnson, Lynch, Fede, Aikens or Hazel it could be big. If they ALL develop and a few of his picks become elite it could be one of the best drafts in Dolphins history. On the flip side if none of them develop it could be one of the worst. So we'll see.

I like the strategy on how he went about fixing the line. We put a lot into it but we didn't go overboard. Its vitally important we have some short term success though because Albert will likely look like a bad signing by year 3 or 4 and if we aren't winning the skill players we passed on for James will make him look like a terrible pick too, even if he happens to become an all-pro LT.

Its going to be interesting to see how he handles the Clay and Pouncey situations.

I liked the free agent strategy, mostly one year deals with effectively a second year option on a few of them.

One thing I hated was how we handled the QB situation. Paying Moore $5 million as insurance. Not taking any good value QBs at any point in the draft. Nothing on the roster even worthy of running the practice squad let alone preseason games after Moore got hurt. It still pisses me off to no end. How awesome would it have been to have even Mettenberger as our backup QB right now instead of an Arthur ****ing Lynch, who'll likely never see the roster? I would say he's better than Moore, he has real potential to be great, and he would have saved us a lot of money.

I think the argument can be made that Hickey went for doubles in the draft.
I think that is fair.
Still the position that Hickey was in he simply could not afford to miss so I give him a pass for doing that this year.

Could he have traded down and picked up James later? Unclear

Billy Turner's success of failure will be the pick that defines the draft IMO.

I think he had a respectable first go-round. I'm optimistic that he will improve.

I've been really emphatic about how much I enjoyed Hickey's first year. I like a lot of what he did. I haven't been so impressed with the management of our team in a long time. I like the way Hickey carries himself. I like the way he doesn't have the ego a lot of these suits have. I just love the hire. But it's still a small sample size, there's a part of me that realizes I'm so desperate for something good to happen to this team that I might be overly optimistic. This full settled in offseason he's about to work with will really tell us a lot more than that first year.

I liked his draft a lot aside from Lynch who was a wasted pick. What would really swing that draft is how Turner performs. We chose him over Borland. That's a heavy price. Hickey also needs credit for his undrafted pickups. McCain, Williams, AJ... those are serious finds. I even admire some of the players he brings in just to explore their potential (Gator, Streeter, Hopkins, etc). His free agency was also very productive. Albert was the best fit for what we needed and he played up to his contract, the injury was an unfortunate fluke. Delmas and Moreno were tremendous players and they are injury prone but it was worth the risk to take and their contracts protected us from that risk. Finnegan was the only misfire and even he was decent for most of the year. All his choices had a certain logic behind them and were in an effort to compile a complete roster which is something Hickey's predecessor was completely incapable of.

I've been a fan of Hickey since the beginning, I'm very pleased with how he's performed so far, but to be honest this coming offseason will be far more revealing as to what he's really capable of.

Heres the thing.......We sucked this year. We fell apart again. Yet, people are calling for his head. Hard to find a bad word about Dennis Hickey. That shows me a lot. And kind of points where Ross should be making changes.

I am very curious to see what moves he makes this year in FA and the draft. He did ok in his first year, now that he has a year under his belt and is more familiar with the team needs, he should have a better year 2.

I've been really emphatic about how much I enjoyed Hickey's first year. I like a lot of what he did. I haven't been so impressed with the management of our team in a long time. I like the way Hickey carries himself. I like the way he doesn't have the ego a lot of these suits have. I just love the hire. But it's still a small sample size, there's a part of me that realizes I'm so desperate for something good to happen to this team that I might be overly optimistic. This full settled in offseason he's about to work with will really tell us a lot more than that first year.

I liked his draft a lot aside from Lynch who was a wasted pick. What would really swing that draft is how Turner performs. We chose him over Borland. That's a heavy price. Hickey also needs credit for his undrafted pickups. McCain, Williams, AJ... those are serious finds. I even admire some of the players he brings in just to explore their potential (Gator, Streeter, Hopkins, etc). His free agency was also very productive. Albert was the best fit for what we needed and he played up to his contract, the injury was an unfortunate fluke. Delmas and Moreno were tremendous players and they are injury prone but it was worth the risk to take and their contracts protected us from that risk. Finnegan was the only misfire and even he was decent for most of the year. All his choices had a certain logic behind them and were in an effort to compile a complete roster which is something Hickey's predecessor was completely incapable of.

I've been a fan of Hickey since the beginning, I'm very pleased with how he's performed so far, but to be honest this coming offseason will be far more revealing as to what he's really capable of.
Think I agree with literally every word of this, the fact he playing a part in the team as opposed to Ireland who did what he wanted is just a great change. The success of both Hickey and Philbin is greatly dependent on each other and the fact they are working really well together gives them both the best chance to succeed.

I think the jury still is out on Hickey. Thought he did great in the first two rounds; then again, he should do that (do not judge him as great just because he did better than Ireland, that's not a very high bar to clear).

The rest of this draft remains to be seen. I've said before that with all the holes this team had that I really thought you'd get more of an impact from it than we had, so, right now, I'm not one of the forum members proclaiming Hickey's greatness.

I liked what he did his first year. I agree now that hes had a year to really study our players he can make more educated moves. But hitting on james and landry was huge and the jury is still out on some of the other guys he brought in. I have confidence in hickey tho. Im ready for free agency to begin!

i think i need another year of good first 2 days drafting and no corpses in free agency...and some balls decisions with his own existing personnel...clear cap cut bait with guys not helping you or wasting snaps...there's plenty of them

and depend on some of the returning kids to play roles next season...

He tried. That's it.

This year will be more defining as to what he can do since he's been here for a year.

There are a lot of holes on this team, a lack of depth, and some decisions that need to be made with existing players so this team can move forward. Hickey can't fix all of the personnel moves that Ireland made in one year. I am excited to see what he can do with another year and what his future plans are.

Back
Top Bottom