What do you think about our direction with Noah Igbinoghene? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What do you think about our direction with Noah Igbinoghene?

I have to wonder if Grier and Co. were thinking, "we have 3 first rounders, let's take a chance on a boom or bust player"...sometimes when teams have multiple picks, they'll go that route hoping to nail a super star that they may miss on later. Whether you agree with that plan is another story.
Grier is very good at some things- managing the cap, acquiring draft picks. That 2020 first round is looking rough, when it should have brought us 3 stalwarts. As far as Igbo, I think Grier screwed the pooch on that one. In my heart, I want to defend the pick and say that the player is only 21, inexperienced, but after being inactive- saying he has NO game day value- I just can't anymore. Sometimes GM's miss, but you blame them less when they pick a guy who was projected in the ball park of where you picked the player. Igbo came out of nowhere.

I have to wonder if Grier and Co. were thinking, "we have 3 first rounders, let's take a chance on a boom or bust player"...sometimes when teams have multiple picks, they'll go that route hoping to nail a super star that they may miss on later. Whether you agree with that plan is another story.
Grier is very good at some things- managing the cap, acquiring draft picks. That 2020 first round is looking rough, when it should have brought us 3 stalwarts. As far as Igbo, I think Grier screwed the pooch on that one. In my heart, I want to defend the pick and say that the player is only 21, inexperienced, but after being inactive- saying he has NO game day value- I just can't anymore. Sometimes GM's miss, but you blame them less when they pick a guy who was projected in the ball park of where you picked the player. Igbo came out of nowhere.
would have like that thinking regarding a RB

All of the posters that are defending him cite his age and how raw he was coming out of college. My point is, and has always been, if he’s that raw why use a first round pick on him??? I don’t care what anyone says…A first round pick inactive going into his 2nd year? That says bust to me regardless of age or experience at the position. Add in that Austin Jackson hasn’t played all that great and it’s not looking good for Grier. On top of that, Tua isn’t setting the world on fire either.

Obviously, they all deserve more time before a final judgment is made. But to the guys that defend Grier constantly, aren’t you at least a little concerned? I know I definitely am. As of right now, if you’d have to grade the 3 first round picks…What would you give Grier?
It’s a silly argument in general. There’s plenty of players within a year or two of him that are playing great. The idea that he’s going to be awful at 22 then miraculously turn it all around at 23 is based on nothing but blind hope.

Agree. The Inactive is concerning. He has all the tools. He seems to struggle with the mental quickness part. Maybe the light will come on

I won't pretend I am an expert as to what is his leading cause of struggle for him. Our defense has some things to patch up based on the last game, we don't want him looking bad, or putting him in a situation to fail.

All of the posters that are defending him cite his age and how raw he was coming out of college. My point is, and has always been, if he’s that raw why use a first round pick on him??? I don’t care what anyone says…A first round pick inactive going into his 2nd year? That says bust to me regardless of age or experience at the position. Add in that Austin Jackson hasn’t played all that great and it’s not looking good for Grier. On top of that, Tua isn’t setting the world on fire either.

Obviously, they all deserve more time before a final judgment is made. But to the guys that defend Grier constantly, aren’t you at least a little concerned? I know I definitely am. As of right now, if you’d have to grade the 3 first round picks…What would you give Grier?
Valid concern

It’s a silly argument in general. There’s plenty of players within a year or two of him that are playing great. The idea that he’s going to be awful at 22 then miraculously turn it all around at 23 is based on nothing but blind hope.

I am not saying either of you are 100 right because you also bring up positive points. We commonly see cornerbacks playing part time roles even in a 2 year period, and then shift fulltime. Or just become permanent slot corners in specific formations. So far we don't see a sign of Iggy filling any of those roles. McCourty has also been stellar with us.

He is a project. So I would just put him on ST's and only use in certain packages. Right now we are good at CB so no need for him. Its a learning process. But, in my opinion the game is too fast for him an he may become a bust. I hope not he has potential.

I am not hitting a panic button now, but I am also wondering how his season will look like down the road. Thoughts?
panic buttoned pushed a while ago. I hope I'm wrong, but looks like they botched this pick. No argument otherwise right now.

Hes a guy you’d hope to see in action by week 5-7 but honestly we’re pretty stacked at CB. So I don’t mind.

Grier gets an “F” from me for a lot of reasons. One of them is the entire 2020 draft class. 3 no 1 picks and we didn’t hit on any of them? I know we will give Tua time and let’s leave that aside because we were picking him there even if we put our draft on auto-select. Jackson and Iggy ? Not looking so good. R David = good player. Everyone else = already gone or bad to meh so far. Or didn’t need to be drafted (the LS). Grier sucks ass. We finally have a real coach. Someone tell Ross to get rid of this barnacle of an employee who’s managed to hang on to a job around Davie for 20 years. I’m all in on Flo. I’m all out on Grier. Iggy being inactive and the 2020 draft class as a whole looking rather meh put me over the edge.

Grier has done a good job drafting players the past few years but he obviously missed on Iggy. Anytime a first round pick can’t make the active roster when he is not injured has to be a concern. I never liked the pick to begin with because he was a player that had limited experience at the CB position in college and it was stated at the time that he would need time to develop his skills at the NFL level.

I believe players selected in the first round should be able an contribute immediately and not take 2 or 3 years to possibly develop into an NFL player. Grier missed on Iggy and that’s becoming pretty clear. He was a 4th round project at best but the Dolphins are stuck with him because no other team will trade for him because of his contract and the Dolphins can’t afford to cut him at this time.

I just hope he's ready to play when we need him. Until then I don't care if he's active or not. Right now Miami has three corners (Howard, Jones and Needham) that hey feel comfortable with. Even if Igbinoghene was on schedule in his development I'm not sure he would be ahead of those three on the depth chart. I would like to think he would be ahead of Needham, but the truth is Needham had really good training camp and preseason.

while Iggy was a bad pick. I don’t really understand those posters who view Grier as a failure as the teams GM. The reality he has taken what was the worst roster in the entire league at the beginning of the the 2019 season into a roster that barely missed the playoffs one year later and many predict they have the talent to be a playoff team this season.

Unfortunately the draft is a hit and miss process. As many 1st round picks each year end up being bust as there are pro bowl players selected in the first round. Most first round picks end up having good but not great careers. After the first round, the chance of success in the NFL goes down exponentially for players drafted from the 2nd round through the 7th round.

I was never in favor of Ross keeping Grier as the GM after the 2018 season. Yet the fact is it was Grier who was responsible for the hiring of Grier. While he has made some mistakes in the draft and in free agency. The roster today is the most talented roster the Dolphins have had in years. While there still
areas on the team like the OL and another elite pass rusher that needs to be upgraded by next year. Overall Grier has does a very good job in rebuilding this team from what it was just two years ago.

Direction was flawed from the beginning but that was Greir's fault. He was over-drafted. That doesn't mean he won't be a player but he was too raw to be a first rounder. Developmental prospect = low 3rd round. He needs to learn ST because he has been replaced by an UDFA in Needham. Not great as our 4th CB is a big drop-off from #3. I think even Perry was active this week but he plays special teams. I believe he is also back on PS.

Back
Top Bottom