What do you thinking about 14 team in playoff and how would u think we would do in playoff... if we was in this yr. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What do you thinking about 14 team in playoff and how would u think we would do in playoff... if we was in this yr.

39wildman

Active Roster
Reaction score
What do I think about playoff.. competition is great. Plus good matchup.. AFC is tough conference.. next week will be better..idk know what dolphins would of been able to do but we had good yr.

Last edited:
I never have been a fan of the wildcard teams. I think the winner of each division should be the only teams which qualify for the playoffs. If you can’t win your own division, you shouldn’t be in the playoffs, IMO. There are eight divisions between the AFC and NFC and just eight teams total making the playoffs each year is fine with me.

As far as what would have happened if the Dolphins had made the playoffs this season. They would have lost in round one. They basically had a playoff game when they faced the Bills and they were completely outplayed in that game.

What do I think about playoff.. competition is great. Plus good matchup.. AFC is tough conference.. next week will be better..
I don't like increasing the number, mainly because you would, inevitably, have teams with losing records. Possibly several in the same year.

The NBA 1st round playoffs are a joke, for this very reason.

Even though I personally don't like the idea, I think it will happen for the $. Networks and most owners would likely be in favor of it.

Not sure how players would feel. The league is already pushing hard for a 17 game season. If you then add another playoff game, you could end up with a team playing a 21 game season.

Last edited:
Personally I thought the games in general were notably better this year
specifically because of the lack of home field advantage. How that relates
to the OP topic unsure other than any change that creates more competitive
games is good for the league. The playoff format this year could certainly
be used in the future.

Better than Bears and WFT. Worse than everyone else, although I could see wins over Seattle or Pittsburgh. We're somewhere between 12th and 18th in the league overall. My pessimistic side notes that we're near the bottom of the league in net yards per play, my preferred forward looking stat. Other predictive stats - Point differential, DVOA, are better for us. Hopefully our draft picks and FA improve us to the top 10.

Better than Bears and WFT. Worse than everyone else, although I could see wins over Seattle or Pittsburgh. We're somewhere between 12th and 18th in the league overall. My pessimistic side notes that we're near the bottom of the league in net yards per play, my preferred forward looking stat. Other predictive stats - Point differential, DVOA, are better for us. Hopefully our draft picks and FA improve us to the top 10.
Agree, if we played well we could have beaten Pitt but I don't think we were ready as we didn't show for Buff. I expect a strong run next yeat hoping for the div to get that home field advantage vs playing somewhere north like Buff/Pitt

I never have been a fan of the wildcard teams. I think the winner of each division should be the only teams which qualify for the playoffs. If you can’t win your own division, you shouldn’t be in the playoffs, IMO. There are eight divisions between the AFC and NFC and just eight teams total making the playoffs each year is fine with me.

As far as what would have happened if the Dolphins had made the playoffs this season. They would have lost in round one. They basically had a playoff game when they faced the Bills and they were completely outplayed in that game.
:bobdole:

The long term plan imo is to expand the playoffs to 8 teams per conference and adding 4 more teams to the league. St Louis, San Diego even London may be added.

Out round one

Depends on the matchup..I think we could possibly have beated Rams(which we've done already), Tenn(Slow down D.Henry), Seattle(They're so bad), Colts(We own P.Rivers).

BTW, I realize these aren't conference games. So in conference i think we could have beatned Colts and Tenn..

I feel 8 is good (Division Winners get in) if you can't win your division your out it is that simple (*uck the Wild Card).
No byes.
Straight to Divisional #4 plays #1 #3 plays #2 (AFC / NFC).
Then re-seed for Conference Championship.
No bye for Super Bowl.
(3 straight weeks of grueling football to get a Champion).
That's what would be very challenging for the NFL and a whole lot of fun).

As for our Dolphins (If we matched up against the Steelers or Titans we would have won. Lose in Divisionals.

I'm OK with the addition of a 6th team per conference, but kinda ambivalent about adding a 7th team. Honestly, I'm not a fan of too many wildcard teams because it cheapens the divisional races--which I love despite the fact we've been getting our azzez kicked for so long.

Expanding from 6 to 7 per conference I do not love ... but I don't really mind it either. I still want the Super Bowl to be division winners the vast majority of the time. It makes the regular season more meaningful to me. When I watch the NBA, it feels like the regular season is meaningless, and that makes me less interested in watching those games as ... they don't feel like they really matter. I would hate to lose that passion for the NFL. The difference of even one game is still monumental in my mind, as a 10-6 Dolphins team is soooooooooooo much better than a 9-7 Dolphins team even if we didn't make the playoffs. And if we had gone 8-8, my opinion of this season would be dramatically different, even if it was only a few plays difference between 10-6 and 8-8. I feel like every NFL game really matters, and the division winners have already won something. In the NBA ... it feels like the entire regular season is just a ton of pre-season NFL games, and the NBA playoffs feels more like a holiday tournament.

If I were the deciding vote, I could be swayed either way, but would probably prefer to go back to 6 per conference. The playoffs really mean something then.

Honestly, the Dolphins are not ready to succeed in the playoffs yet. We were as successful as we could possibly be this year and exceeded my expectations. I'm celebrating this season. Coach Flo finally delivered the defense we have been hoping to see. Grier delivered on a strong draft and his picks all contributed significantly and appeared to adapt to the NFL and improve from our coaching. Morale remained high despite switching QB's. The FA acquisitions were a home run with Ogbah being fantastic, Jones being fantastic (and the main reason X had so many opportunities to get those 10 INT's), Van Noy elevating the entire team, and young players like Van Ginkel blossomed under Van Noy's leadership. Our OL additions really shored up a woeful line despite zero chemistry. My one barometer for this season was Tua being healthy, and he was ... and he had some good games and gained a lot of experience.

All in all, I couldn't be more pleased. And no, I am not too disappointed that we missed the playoffs ... I am more pleased and impressed that we actually won 10 games and deserved to be in the playoffs during a major rebuilding year.

As always, great thread @39wildman , thanks for posting this.

Back
Top Bottom