What Does It Say If Turner Leaves? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Does It Say If Turner Leaves?

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
I think there are only a couple of possibilities:

1) Turner is like the girl in high school who dated some dog ugly guy and we'd say, "she must be desperate!" He'd be going to a situation with no control over coaches; not much $$ for a head coach; he'd have Al Davis breathing down his neck on philosophy; and, he has an aging, rebeliious team in disarray that needs to completely rebuild.

2) It could also say several negative things about Turner's view of the Miami situation. That, for example, he has little confidence of our return to glory or of the offense being rebuilt fast enough that he gets another shot at a HC position better than Oakland. That he realizes he's not going to be around much longer and Dave's situation is too tenuous. Or, that he has little confidence in the Dolphin management to get the offensive players in to get the system going.

So many have turned down the Raiders b/c, right now, it's about the worst situation in the NFL for a head coach. And, you WOULD have to be desperate or have little confidence in future HC options to take such a job.

This brings up the "management thing" (as Dave W might describe it) again. Barry Jackson (PBP) noted that the chain of authority and responsibility STILL hasn't been laid down yet and that Wayne H. going to meet with the principles this week to iron things out.

One of the silliest things we keep hearing from Eddie Jones, et. al., is, "It's all a group decision anyway, so it doesn't matter about 'who's in charge.'" That's fine when everyone agrees. The problem is, when people disagree and there are strong egos involved.

If Speilman brings in a guy he's high on and Dave wants to cut him, who decides? Rick will be scouting our own team as well as others and if he sees a guy who can play but Dave says, "I don't see it" (Or, he doesn't like the guy - ala Boudreau or Westhoff among coaches), who gets the final say so?

Most likely they will work well together most of the time, but, there will be that "ego thing" with Dave and will he respect Rick enough to bite his tongue? Will Rick have the guts to say, "I know you like this guy - but we think the other guy is going to be a solid player ..." Of course, it can work, but Dave is going to have to swallow a big dose of humble pie.

if norv leaves, it's because he wants to coach again... don't read to much into it.

Quite frankly...it wouldnt hurt my feelings to see Norv go. To many times have I sit there w/ my jaw open when we do stupid stuff on the O. I know he is considered an offensive GURU...but I haven't seen it yet.

What about the new Raider guy? Could it be that he is a great OC (2002 stats only) and just needs a "younger" group to make magic?

Regarding the FO in Miami, Turner is looking for greener pastures and an op to be a HC vice an OC...I wouldnt read much more into it than that IMO.

So many have turned down the Raiders b/c, right now, it's about the worst situation in the NFL for a head coach.

Yes it probably is the worst situation in the NFL, but then there is not much to lose as far as a head coach is concerned. Let me explain...

Someone once told me, you find the biggest pile of crap (worst possible situation) jump right in and go like a gang buster on it. At worst you do not fix it, but then everyone already knew it was so bad that no one will think less of you. HOWEVER, if by some miracle you turn it around then you are a hero/god.

I think that is Norv's reasoning. He will probably get a relatively long leash after what happened to the Raiders this year. Plus if he fails, the answer could be that NO one could have succeeded there. But IF he is able to get a winner again (which he probably thinks he can) then he will get a bigger contract and people will give him a lot of credit for being a great coach.

Miami doesn't get a vote if it's a promotion...

...and Norv Turner going simply highlights that he still has Head Coaching ambitions, unfinished business as it were. Raiders is a huge franchise, it would not enhance his future prospects if he turned it down, in my view. It would suggest he didn't have the cojones.

I think the main thing for him would be can he envision a way to get it done quickly, is he he taking on a longer term project. Everyones looking for the Raiders to bounce back right away. The Parcells approach in Dallas must be more realistic. Give him 3 years, rather than 6 months to build a winner.

His world view, here in Miami, must be that he'll get more to work with if he's got that offensive minded influence at the highest level of the front-office - "Mr. Marino, they're calling 13". But anything he does here must be to build on his reputation to get him back as a head coach. If he can do that now with the Raiders, why wouldn't he?

Personally I'd be sorry to see him go. He's been hamstrung here by a defensive minded leader who's starved the offense and with a conservative approach to games. I think he'll be a success, given time, in Oakland.

I agree that it means he wants to be HC and little more. coaches are competitive too!

Interesting, though, a new Sun Sentinel story indicates that an existing coach (not one of the new ones) is most likely to be the one that replaces Turner if he goes:

"While they don't want to lose Turner, the Dolphins have designated running backs coach Joel Collier as the leading contender to become offensive coordinator."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...an26,0,4929431.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

..leading to the promotion of Bernie Parmalee as RB coach. Interesting.

I think Norv might want one more shot at proving he can be Da Man after his failed Redskin tenure.

Originally posted by Mindwarp
hmmmm... not that money has anything to do with it ;P
John Clayton was saying on ESPN radio the other day that Davis was only offering 4 yrs at 5.2 mil or so - which is not much more than a good OC gets paid these days, especially one like Norv, so :no:

Norv would leave because he wants to run the show w/o handcuffs and because he is from Cal to begin with

Just make up your friggin' mind Norv, so we can move on, one way or the other.

It says that Norv wants to be a head coach. He has been there. He has the ambition to get back there and prove himself. We don't know if Norv actually wants this job as his ideal coaching situation. However, he cannot afford to snub this opportunity if he wants to move back up the ladder. He has to show interest. Norv has to be professional about the process if he wants to be considered for the next available team with more ideal conditions.

Now, if you are trying to read a negative slant against the Miami Dolphins because of Norvs desire to be a head coach (a well documented desire, mind you) ...then that says more about your negative view of the Dolphins than it does of the actual condition of the Dolphin Front office.

Hey if Norv can coach for Dan Snyder

He can coach for Al Davis. For get reading into it too much, It's about business, and taking advantage of oppurtunity.

I just simpy do not see Norv leaving this year. I think he will give it one more year to see if the offense takes off. He has a great RB in Ricky, and a outstanding WR in Chambers, not to mention the T.E. We have the 20th pick in the first round, I think he might give it another shot.

Dont read to much into it - THe Raiders are offering him a HC position. Were not. End of Story.

Re: Hey if Norv can coach for Dan Snyder

Originally posted by rhadaddy
He can coach for Al Davis. For get reading into it too much, It's about business, and taking advantage of oppurtunity.

So many are saying this. Yet, several pretty intelligent coaches (assistants and former head coaches) are saying differently. They are NOT selling their souls to coach out of desperation. The Raiders have been turned down by at least 6 coaches already.

Now that Norv is there - I still think it shows some desperation on his part AND a lack of confidence in the situation in Miami.

Unlike Sean Payton who saw greener pastures as an assistant at Dallas under Parcells.

I still stay it's not a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom