What effect will new coaching have on our current D? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What effect will new coaching have on our current D?

lotion

Jane Gum
Reaction score
Our D has been a strong point for a number of years. We aren't really losing a lot of key players there until Pat is traded.
The philosophy has been since JJs time, I'll line up mine against yours and beat you straight up. That has worked... almost, until teams break that down toward the end of the season.
I can't wait to see what Saban does with the current talent. If they can be as good as they have been playing the JJ way imagine what they can do with some scheming, game planning, and above all in-game adjustments.
I'm expecting us to be competitive this year, and can't wait to see some different looks.
All the draft stuff I see has us picking all offensive players pretty much. I don't think Saban will be able to resist grabbing an impact defensive player on day one.
Does anyone else think our D will be improved? I know the run D will have to but I'm expecting a top 5 unit in 05.

I think we might get more out of players we thought had topped out like JT and Zach.

Undersized guys that got wore down as the season went on might remain fresher in schemes designed to take advantage of what the other players on the field have to offer.

inFINSible said:
I think we might get more out of players we thought had topped out like JT and Zach.

Undersized guys that got wore down as the season went on might remain fresher in schemes designed to take advantage of what the other players on the field have to offer.

Thats a bit optimistic. Smaller players wear down at the end of the season becuase they are not as physical, that does not change. I wonder why saban likes "bigger" players... Linebackers at least 6'3" and lineman 6'5"+ <-- this has been well documented. I do agree the schemes should be better but there still will be a learning curve, and no matter what the scheme zach thomas will still have difficulty shedding blocks...

inFINSible said:
I worry that this might be true. Pretty sure that Saban will build via the draft which he is why he kept great leaders like Seau and Zach.

By improving the front 7 Saban will stuff the run better and the pass will be played more effectively by lesser DBs even if we lose Pat it wont hurt as much by putting more pressure we will see more dump offs, shorter routes and the best poorly thrown balls forcing incompletions and interceptions.

Saban2005 said:
Thats a bit optimistic. Smaller players wear down at the end of the season becuase they are not as physical, that does not change. I wonder why saban likes "bigger" players... Linebackers at least 6'3" and lineman 6'5"+ <-- this has been well documented. I do agree the schemes should be better but there still will be a learning curve, and no matter what the scheme zach thomas will still have difficulty shedding blocks...
But if Zach and JT aren't asked to make every play, that can't help but keep them fresher as the season wears. I'm assuming the changes will be incremental and the visual evidence will be hard to see but, fatigue-wise and health-wise these two guys might benefit more than anyone.

The "D" under the new regime will eventually be stronger and more dominant than anything that we've had in the past several years. They won't fold in the 4th qtr like so many previous games have resulted in. IMHO

In theory, a more flexible defense that can be less predictable will produce more turnovers and big plays.

its nice to see we have some logically well thought out threads instead of the normal repetative crap... i think that we will see nothing but an improvment on our current vet players... I also think that our system will magnify the strengths of our players.... i think it will be a player oriented system....

I'd like to see the D become more aggressive late in games. I think that was their biggest short-coming the last few years. It always seemed like no matter how well they were playing, they kind of let up late in games. Once Wanny was gone that seemed to change though. The Pats games was a great example....

Hopefully for the 1st time in a numbers of years we can start to move to a balance team, where both the O and D clicks, we either have O, D. Marino, or D, J. Fielder. Now I'm hoping both AJ Feeley. It will take awhile on D, because the vet's have been playing one way for so long, hopefully the new doesn't fustrate them.

Justasportsfan said:
I worry that this might be true. Pretty sure that Saban will build via the draft which he is why he kept great leaders like Seau and Zach.

Glad to see your adding something to the thread and site, your representing your team well with threads like this. Not that you should look for threads to make positive comments about a bitter rival, but your football knowledge and opinion is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom