What happened to Lou Polite? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What happened to Lou Polite?

oasis

Lost in the fog
Reaction score
Lou was phenomenal in 2009 and by many experts considered to be one of the best lead blockers in the NFL. Not to mention he has been automatic on short yardage situations for several seasons.

However, last season his blocking really took a tumble, to the point that many think he may not make the team or at least, don't really want him to.

What happened?

I wouldnt be at all surprised if he's cut in favor of Clay. Clay's not getting cut and we arent carrying 2 FB's. So either Clay gets listed as a RB/TE or he gets put on the inactives. Im not sure how much we're planning on using a blocking FB this year or how well Clay blocks. If we're planning on using Bush on 50% or so of the carries, there's really no reason to carry Polite. Id just assume use 2 TE's or 3 WR sets.

What happened was he was in a contract year in 2009. He got extended with a new contract then his play has sucked balls ever since. He was horrible blocking last year and is just pitiful out of the backfield in the receiving department.

He was also "meh" in 2008.

2009 was a contract year for him so he put "all in" effort to make a few million before he hangs up his cleats (he's not a young guy).

The problem with this regime's "play like a hammer" mentality is that you can only play that way for so long. For 17 weeks these guys have to go up and run through walls on every play. Well that just isn't sustainable in this day and age. It's why our O-line gets injured every single year, and why we have rashes of injuries.

The Dolphins have to put their nose to the grindstone on every play for 17 weeks (and in practices) while other teams only play a smashmouth team once every 4 or 5 games as the league and the sport of football is changing... hence the huge disparity. The bottom line is nothing is easy for Miami, every damn score or stop they get takes so much energy (along with a lot of luck).... while other teams have it a lot easier.

The Dolphins have to play like that every single week of the season and train like that in training camp. Work your a$$ off constantly to gain 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Well, it takes a toll on the body. And that's what probably happened to Lou Polite. He went in there like a battering ram all of 2009 like a man possessed. Probably hurt his neck, pinched a few nerves, sore shoulders and ribs - then add in a concussion to his head here or there,, and probably said to himself "screw it" after getting his new contract with some guaranteed dollars.

And I don't blame him because Miami's philosophy is so stupid and counterproductive in this day and age, and modern era of football. It's impossible to play your best for 17 weeks under such a stupid philosophy.

I mean, it's already starting to take a toll on IRONMAN Jake Long himself.. a guy who played in every college game basically, was a model of consistency and good health.. And in just his 3rd year in the NFL under this stupid miami philosophy, he's already suffering knee and serious shoulder problems.

This silly philosophy takes it's toll on it's players, eventually. And I don't care who you are, it WILL take it's toll either within a season or the following year. If I was a free agent, Miami would be one of the last places I'd consider because the last thing I'm looking for is to have my career shortened.

And it would most certainly get shortened in Miami under these knuckleheads running the team.

. Meanwhile, other teams have big play ability and do things the easy (better) way. And guess what, they win playoff games

What happened was he was in a contract year in 2009. He got extended with a new contract then his play has sucked balls ever since. He was horrible blocking last year and is just pitiful out of the backfield in the receiving department.

2009 was a contract year for him so he put "all in" effort to make a few million before he hangs up his cleats (he's not a young guy)

maybe he got old he was great in short yardage though that blocking might have took a pounnding on him

What happened was he was in a contract year in 2009. Got extended and his play has sucked ever since. He was horrible blocking last year and is just pitiful out of the backfield in the receiving department.

2009 was a contract year for him so he put "all in" effort to make a few million before he hangs up his cleats (he's not a young guy)

What do u mean he was pitiful receiving? The guy was used for 2 minute drills and on 3rd downs as a pass catcher. Our head coach and former OC wouldnt have had him out there in obvious passing situations if he wasnt a threat to be reckoned with :dphan:

to add. I think Polite may get cut later in camp. He just doesn't have it anymore and Daboll seldom uses a fullback in his offense anyway. He likes the one back sets.

Which I think is great.

Most teams don't carry a traditional fullback anymore (part of the league changing and the evolution of the NFL). The traditional fullback is a dinosaur position and I will be happy to see that position once and for all become extinct in this league.

It almost is already with the exception of very few teams.

The sooner we get rid of the stupid fullback position in the traditional sense, the quicker our offense will open up. I just can't tell you how many times our offense looked putrid when Polite was on the field. And when he was out of the game the offense always looked much better and moved the ball. I made a point about this fact on a few occasions during the course of last season.

Polite has been a total liability to this offense. Don't let a couple 3rd and 1 runs fool you. He's the reason a lot of drives stall and we lose the ball.

I hope he's cut soon and gone and away from this team forever. Dead and buried. Just eliminate the traditional fullback position from this Miami Dolphins team PERIOD and we will be a much better team for it

I still think Lex Hilliard could be used at FB in the preseason and if he shows any kind of success, could be the clear option to replace Polite. He just offers more from every aspect on offense and I wouldn't discount him for being a better blocker than Lou either. The biggest thing with Lou is the short yardage success . . . whoever replaces him will have to be able to duplicate that success. He is a fan favorite and 1.35 million isn't bad for a guy who has been money on short yardage.

What happened was Polite is an inconsistent player and over his time in NFL has been a below average player thats why he has bounced around the league.

What happened is he made a couple big blocks in a Jets game and became a Finheaven Legend!

What do u mean he was pitiful receiving? The guy was used for 2 minute drills and on 3rd downs as a pass catcher. Our head coach and former OC wouldnt have had him out there in obvious passing situations if he wasnt a threat to be reckoned with :dphan:

Waiting for the fury of Hoops to respond to this one. Boy did he hate seeing Henning trott Polite out there on 3rd and long, lol.

He's just not that good. I think that between Hilliard and Clay, we can and probably should move on from Polite. There are some FA FB's out there as well who are quality.

I think he's worth keeping on the team for 3rd & 1's alone. Those can be very tricky situations and handing the ball off to Lou is like a guaranteed 1st every time. He's really invaluable to our team for that reason and has been a HUGE part of our offense over the past two/three years.

i think finheaven ppl dont know much about much. i hope polite stays on the team and currently he is running with the first team and clay hasnt "gotten the mental part of it" just yet.

Be serious. The guy finds the first down marker on 3rd and 1, every time. Until someone else can do it just as well, we should keep him.

what happened was he was in a contract year in 2009. He got extended with a new contract then his play has sucked balls ever since. He was horrible blocking last year and is just pitiful out of the backfield in the receiving department.

2009 was a contract year for him so he put "all in" effort to make a few million before he hangs up his cleats (he's not a young guy).

The problem with this regime's "play like a hammer" mentality is that you can only play that way for so long. For 17 weeks these guys have to go up and run through walls on every play. Well that just isn't sustainable in this day and age. It's why our o-line gets injured every single year, and why we have rashes of injuries.

The dolphins have to put their nose to the grindstone on every play for 17 weeks (and in practices) while other teams only play a smashmouth team once every 4 or 5 games as the league and the sport of football is changing... Hence the huge disparity. The bottom line is nothing is easy for miami, every damn score or stop they get takes so much energy (along with a lot of luck).... While other teams have it a lot easier.

The dolphins have to play like that every single week of the season and train like that in training camp. Work your a$$ off constantly to gain 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Well, it takes a toll on the body. And that's what probably happened to lou polite. He went in there like a battering ram all of 2009 like a man possessed. Probably hurt his neck, pinched a few nerves, sore shoulders and ribs - then add in a concussion to his head here or there,, and probably said to himself "screw it" after getting his new contract with some guaranteed dollars.

And i don't blame him because miami's philosophy is so stupid and counterproductive in this day and age, and modern era of football. It's impossible to play your best for 17 weeks under such a stupid philosophy.

I mean, it's already starting to take a toll on ironman jake long himself.. A guy who played in every college game basically, was a model of consistency and good health.. And in just his 3rd year in the nfl under this stupid miami philosophy, he's already suffering knee and serious shoulder problems.

This silly philosophy takes it's toll on it's players, eventually. And i don't care who you are, it will take it's toll either within a season or the following year. If i was a free agent, miami would be one of the last places i'd consider because the last thing i'm looking for is to have my career shortened.

And it would most certainly get shortened in miami under these knuckleheads running the team.

. Meanwhile, other teams have big play ability and do things the easy (better) way. And guess what, they win playoff games

excellent post

Back
Top Bottom