What Happened to Miami’s Salary Cap? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Happened to Miami’s Salary Cap?

Dolph N.Fan

Active Roster
Reaction score
Thought Miami was in good shape with the cap heading into the off-season with?

Now Miami has to make moves to sign their draft class?

Thought Miami was in good shape with the cap heading into the off-season with?

Now Miami has to make moves to sign their draft class?
We signed free agents. Fuller was a little over 10 million, trade for McKinney was 7 million, Cethan Carter was nearly 3 million, Brisset was 5 million, Butler was nearly 4. Those 5 account for nearly 30 million in cap space, which was most of what we had free.

We signed free agents. Fuller was a little over 10 million, trade for McKinney was 7 million, Cethan Carter was nearly 3 million, Brisset was 5 million, Butler was nearly 4. Those 5 account for nearly 30 million in cap space, which was most of what we had free.

I still fail to understand why the draft is held AFTER free agency. It should be the other way around. Until COVID hit, that's the way the NBA structured it.

Just doesn't make sense for these org's to be put in a position of being under pressure to hand out big money contracts not yet knowing what holes they might be able to fill with younger, cheaper players.

Conduct the draft first then start free agency in May or June.

I still fail to understand why the draft is held AFTER free agency. It should be the other way around. Until COVID hit, that's the way the NBA structured it.

Just doesn't make sense for these org's to be put in a position of being under pressure to hand out big money contracts not yet knowing what holes they might be able to fill with younger, cheaper players.

I agree with this. I assume this is done to protect veteran players by the NFLPA

McKinney didn’t cost us anything from our offseason cap space. We aquired him in a cap neutral trade where we gave Houston Shaq Lawson.

That 7 million figure is simply the amount we could save by cutting McKinney since his contract is not guarenteed. But we are still paying 2.7 million of Shaq's contract this year.

The total is roughly what we would have paid Lawson if we had just kept him this year.

Look at it from a veteran player's perspective.

Every aspect of the league is governed by the CBA, and is negotiated by the two sides.

Can you see why the union would want it this way? They want vested vets to get a bigger share of revenue.

Maybe I don't value special teams enough, but I struggle to understand how Carter was worth 2.7 mill. I made the mistake underestimating Blake Ferguson, and was glad he made me feel foolish for not being happy we spent a 6th on a LS.

But I fail to justify paying a STer/FB/TE/CethanCarter that much. Hopefully his contributions on the field do that for me.

Look at it from a veteran player's perspective.

Every aspect of the league is governed by the CBA, and is negotiated by the two sides.

Can you see why the union would want it this way? They want vested vets to get a bigger share of revenue.

Sure, I can see their POV. But it doesn't change the fact that it's dumb. And that the NFL is idiotic for allowing it to be that way.

As already pointed out, the NBA doesn't operate that way. And their players make a helluva lot more money and have a lot more power.

Neither does the NHL or MLB. They both have their drafts prior to the start of their Free Agency date (baseball holds their draft during the season, but those players don't factor in until the next season).

Poor form NFL.

Last edited:
I agree with this. I assume this is done to protect veteran players by the NFLPA

As I pointed out in my reply to Mach2, the other major pro sports leagues don't operate this way.

Furthermore I think a case can be made that it doesn't protect veteran players. Because after the draft ends, most these teams start doing what the Dolphins are going to be doing. Cutting and re-structuring contracts.

If they held the draft first then started FA after it, the 32 org's would be able to manage their cap situations easier and more efficiently. While they may not have as much $$$ to offer FA's, they also may not need to re-structure and cut as many players as they do now.

If the player's really want to protection, they need to push for a soft cap or more guarantees in their contracts.

Sure, I can see their POV. But it doesn't change the fact that it's dumb. And that the NFL is idiotic for allowing it to be that way.

As already pointed out, the NBA doesn't operate that way. And their players make a helluva lot more money and have a lot more power.

Neither does the NHL or MLB. They both have their drafts prior to the start of their Free Agency date.

Poor form NFL.
You said you didn't understand why. I was just telling you why.

I didn't comment at all on the wisdom, lack thereof or anything else.

I wasn't looking for a confrontation on this beautiful S. Florida, Chamber of Commerce morning.

unnamed.jpg

We are okay for now.

I've always wondered how accurate these 3rd party sites are and, assuming they are accurate, how they obtain the info.

When contracts are publicized, we just hear about the length and total, including bonuses. These org's and player's don't share all the intricate details as far as I'm aware. Why would they?

I've always wondered how accurate these 3rd party sites are and, assuming they are accurate, how they obtain the info.

When contracts are publicized, we just hear about the length and total, including bonuses. These org's and player's don't share all the intricate details as far as I'm aware. Why would they?
So then maybe we have $20 million in cap space???

You said you didn't understand why. I was just telling you why.

I didn't comment at all on the wisdom, lack thereof or anything else.

I wasn't looking for a confrontation on this beautiful S. Florida, Chamber of Commerce morning.

View attachment 75331

There's nothing to lighten up about. I'm not upset. Why would I be.

Nothing has been explained, though. You and the other guy are just speculating.

Considering how none of the other leagues operate in the same manner, it still doesn't make any sense to me. They should be able to change it.

Place this in the same file of things that make no sense like how NBA doesn't process draft day trades as the NFL does and makes their draftees wear gear for a team they aren't playing for.

Stupidity.

As I pointed out in my reply to Mach2, the other major pro sports leagues don't operate this way.

Furthermore I think a case can be made that it doesn't protect veteran players. Because after the draft ends, most these teams start doing what the Dolphins are going to be doing. Cutting and re-structuring contracts.

If they held the draft first then started FA after it, the 32 org's would be able to manage their cap situations easier and more efficiently. While they may not have as much $$$ to offer FA's, they also may not need to re-structure and cut as many players as they do now.

If the player's really want to protection, they need to push for a soft cap or more guarantees in their contracts.
The last sentence is really the key.

The other leagues don't have a hard cap, and the owners don't have the type of revenue sharing as do NFL owners.

The NFL also doesn't have a situation where a team like the Yankees can spend five times more than the Royals year after year.

I think you are oversimplifying the whole issue TBH.

At any rate, it isn't worth arguing about to me.

Back
Top Bottom