What has Spielman done Wrong | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What has Spielman done Wrong

BenchFiedler

Undrafted Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
You all hate R. Spielman but look at how many quality players will make the team or will be starting for us under the Spielman recruiting era. Saban is very lucky to come on board with all these talents.

Chris Chambers
Randy McMike
Vernon Carey
Wes Welker (K)
Ryan Gilmore (5th Wr)
Derrick Pope
Eddie Moore
Lamar Gordon
Feeley ?
Tony Bua
Reggie Howard
Will Poole
Y. Bell
Sammy Morris
Donald Lee --If he can cut on penalties, very good receiver
Rex Hadnot
Junior Seau
Jeno James
Marty Booker

Notables: McIntosh, D.Thompson, Kendall Newson.

So tell me exactly who he drafted wrong or should I say recruited wrong besides the questionnable second round pick we gave to AJ and you never know how good AJ can be this season, so we cannot say the 2nd round pick was a waste. We also missed the chance to draft Anquin Boldin..But besides that, drafting Chambers and McMike were A+...

I want Spielman to stay, he is a very good talent evaluator.

The main one is Feeley though. The QB is the most important position. This season will make or break both Feeley and Spielman.

2nd rounder for Feeley, 3rd rounder for Gordon, both 3rd on the depth chart on their respective teams. Trading a 4th I believe to move up one spot to take a shaky 1st rounder in Carey. That combined with the fact that Saban wants his own talent evaluator makes Speilmans a longshot to stay here longterm.

Getting snookered into trading away a 4th round pick to move up one spot in the 1st round. Then using that pick to reach for a player who would have been there had we traded down 8 spots. A player who couldn't crack the starting lineup on the league's worst OL. A player who had a reputation for being lazy and unmotivated coming out of college.....and continued that trend as a rookie. Now they're trying to find him a position. Passing on Wilfork looked even worse when Timbo and Chester both suffered career-threatening injuries early on.

Trading a #3 for the Rams UNQUESTIONED 3rd string RB also didn't help.

Speilman's problem is his lack of overall vision as a GM.

Well, let me see... I agree with all except

Vernon Carey: Still a question mark right now, and Rick got punked into trading a fourth rounder for him.

Ryan Gilmore: Needs to move up to #3 before he rates well.

Derrick Pope: Does he really have a future here? A bit small for a Saban LB?

Eddie Moore: Does he have a future here too?

Lamar Gordon: A desperation trade by Rick. Injury concerns.

Feeley: 75% of Ricks grade comes on this move. Should have offered a third rounder to the Eages and held firm. They would have taken it come draft time. If Feeley starts and is solid, all is forgiven.

Reggie Howard: Starting money for an average CB, who played Nickel for us. The kind of player you are always looking to replace/upgrade.

Will Poole: Was a draft steal, but if he never recovers from the knee? A wasted pick and just bad draft luck. Drafting good also includes getting healthy players.

Y. Bell: Is he more than depth at safety?

Sammy Morris: Solid, but not a starter kinda player.
Donald Lee: Get into the top four of our WR corp then I'll be good with this.

Rex Hadnot: Potential, but we need starters on a poor OL.

Junior Seau: Aged LB who might get one more solid year out of his body. I do like him as a player and leader though.

Jeno James: An average RG who got decent money thanks to a that Panther Super Bowl run.

Marty Booker: Actually a solid move, though Booker was distracted a lot last season.

Notables: McIntosh, D.Thompson, Kendall Newson: If McIntosh can really play at LT? Good. Thompson had some good moments and should be solid at #4 WR spot. Newson got hurt last year?

If Rick goes bye-bye I won't be upset. If Saban keeps him around, then I'm okay with that too. I don't see a solid argument for keeping Rick around based on his performance under/with Wanny though.

finfansince72 said:
2nd rounder for Feeley, 3rd rounder for Gordon, both 3rd on the depth chart on their respective teams. Trading a 4th I believe to move up one spot to take a shaky 1st rounder in Carey. That combined with the fact that Saban wants his own talent evaluator makes Speilmans a longshot to stay here longterm.
:yeahthat: Well said.

BenchFiedler said:
You all hate R. Spielman but look at how many quality players will make the team or will be starting for us under the Spielman recruiting era. Saban is very lucky to come on board with all these talents.

Chris Chambers
Randy McMike
Vernon Carey
Wes Welker (K)
Ryan Gilmore (5th Wr)
Derrick Pope
Eddie Moore
Lamar Gordon
Feeley ?
Tony Bua
Reggie Howard
Will Poole
Y. Bell
Sammy Morris
Rex Hadnot
Junior Seau
Jeno James
Marty Booker

So tell me exactly who he drafted wrong or should I say recruited wrong besides the questionnable second round pick we gave to AJ and you never know how good AJ can be this season, so we cannot say the 2nd round pick was a waste. We also missed the chance to draft Anquin Boldin..But besides that, drafting Chambers and McMike were A+...

i'm a guilty spielman apologizer too, but a lot of these guys will make the team because they have manageable contracts.

Can you imagine Speilman interviewing for another GM position in the league?
NO WAY.

Nick Saban is smart. Speilman will be gone.

aqua vita81 said:
Can you imagine Speilman interviewing for another GM position in the league?
NO WAY.

Nick Saban is smart. Speilman will be gone.

Actually, I *can* imagine RS interviewing for another GM position. I think the chances are that somebody else is going to make him GM eventually. He might have to work in another capacity for a while before he gets that break, but there is actually a pretty serious shortage of good personnel people in this league. Rick made some mistakes in his less than a year with real authority, but I think it likely he has documentation as to why he did what he did. There isn't much that will explain the 4th rounder, but I think it likely he can explain away everything else pretty darn easily as being about doing what the owner told him he had to do (give Dave the best players possible under the circumstances).

If Rick goes (and it seems he will), it will be about Nick handpicking the man he wants in the job. That's just the way it goes.

If your looking at those players you listed and wanny was the coach we would think alot differently of the players. Speilman was evaluating for Wanny and on that note... Derrick Pope was a great pickup and possible successor of ZT for a 7th rder(i believe. Tony Bua would still be at LB and would be a solid player. Lamar Gordon would possibly be our starting RB. Don't forget speilman took alot of heat for wanny's bad moves and bad coaching makes a gm's job alot harder. Look at NE... There GM isn't getting them the best talent around... just the coach knows what to do with it and the GM and Coach run hand and hand.

No doubt hes made some good moves regarding personnel decisions. But the three trades he made in the last year were all unacceptable:

1) Essentially trading a 4th for Carey
2) 2nd for Feeley
3) 3rd for Gordon

Being an NFL GM is like being a stock broker. You make a move ONLY if the price is right. You cant be overzealous and randomly overpay or youll end up in the gutter.

Edit: I personally didnt like the Ogun trade either, but I know others here disagree. Thats another story.

For me the most damning move is replacing the entire offensive line on a run-first team in a year they are trying to make a Super Bowl run. Anyone should have foreseen the disaster that that move would bring. Feeley and Gordon were desperation, I agree. But had this team had better foresight in 2001, 2002, 2003, they would have had quality/serviceable players in place for 2004. They didn't, so they make desperate moves. Blame Wanny, whatever. What happened is what happened, and it doesn't look good for Rick.

BenchFiedler said:

Chris Chambers
Randy McMike
Vernon Carey
Wes Welker (K)
Ryan Gilmore (5th Wr)
Derrick Pope
Eddie Moore
Lamar Gordon
Feeley ?
Tony Bua
Reggie Howard
Will Poole
Y. Bell
Sammy Morris
Rex Hadnot
Junior Seau
Jeno James
Marty Booker

This has been beaten to death, search the archives and you'll find everyones feelings on Spielman.

BenchFiedler said:

Chris Chambers
Randy McMike
Vernon Carey
Wes Welker (K)
Ryan Gilmore (5th Wr)
Derrick Pope
Eddie Moore
Lamar Gordon
Feeley ?
Tony Bua
Reggie Howard
Will Poole
Y. Bell
Sammy Morris
Rex Hadnot
Junior Seau
Jeno James
Marty Booker

The biggest thing he has done wrong, that anyone on these boards can actually confirm is being associated with Wanny and his book called: "How To Run An NFL Team Into The Ground In 4 Easy Seasons". That is why he gets no respect here in DolphinLand...

Muck said:
Getting snookered into trading away a 4th round pick to move up one spot in the 1st round. Then using that pick to reach for a player who would have been there had we traded down 8 spots. A player who couldn't crack the starting lineup on the league's worst OL. A player who had a reputation for being lazy and unmotivated coming out of college.....and continued that trend as a rookie. Now they're trying to find him a position. Passing on Wilfork looked even worse when Timbo and Chester both suffered career-threatening injuries early on.

Trading a #3 for the Rams UNQUESTIONED 3rd string RB also didn't help.

Speilman's problem is his lack of overall vision as a GM.

I don't know about this Muck, NE has taken Maimi Dolphins players left and right, they may have moved up and gotten Carey, they had enough picks to do it. We needed OLmen bad last year, at the time, remember Speilman had released all the old OL, so he needed to rebuild badly, we thought Carey was a good pickup at the time, everyone was happy to get him. No one, including Speilman I bet wanted to give up a 4th, and Lamar G. was a result of Ricky quitting just before TC..we had that #3 pick until then, unexpected pick given away..but we needed weapons and Minor and L. Henry were our only 2 rb's at the time. Again, one situation was a need, the other was forced. After all that, we picked up Booker and and #3 pick to make up for it. So he gave one to get one, thanks to having a bargaining clip in Agunleye. Everyone on this board wanted another QB other than Jay, and everyone was happy that we got AJ..everyone was sold, I remember the posts on this board when he came on board. But Wanny did him a dis service by not letting him take most of the snaps and learn the O better.

As the original post mentioned look at all the talent Speilman has brought in, and I think we would have bolden had Speilman been GM at the time. The guy is a quality talent evaluator and should be retained. Sabans the man on the final call, so he should allow Speilman go out and find the talent..but I understand new man are allowed to bring in their own people, I just think it's a mistake to loose Speilman..Hopefully Nick comes to this conclusion, but who knows at this point, it certainly looks like he trying to get rid of him.
d

Back
Top Bottom