What Houck Really Wanted to Say | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Houck Really Wanted to Say

FinFan57

Practice Squad
Reaction score
After watching the video of Houck a few days ago, I couldn't help but noticing a concealed grin on his face. He has such an air of confidence and seems to be very at ease with this line.

At the interview, I think Houck really wanted to say, "Basically guys, the Dolphins had the worst Head Coach and Offensive Line Coach I have ever seen. My grand daughter could have done a better job of teaching these guys than Tony Wise." Then the press would have asked, "Oh, really. Were you not impressed with the scheme Wise was using?" Houck's reply, "What scheme?" Houck is then thinking to himself, "These guys have no idea how good these players are. I inherited a gold mine, compared to San Diego, but of course I'm not going to tell anyone else that."

Bottom line is that we have a lot of talent on our oline, especially if you compare our line to what Houck inherited last year in San Diego. He had 5 new starters, two of which were rookies who were 2nd day picks. The Dolphins have two 1st rounders (Carey and McDougle), a 3 year starter (McIntosh), a guy who started for a Super Bowl Team (James) and some talented young guys (McKinney, Hadnot) who just need to be coached. Not to mention, we have a great Offensive Coordinator and Head Coach who will work with and not against Houck.

FinFan57 said:
"These guys have no idea how good these players are. I inherited a gold mine, compared to San Diego, but of course I'm not going to tell anyone else that."
:huh:

FinFan57 said:
"These guys have no idea how good these players are. I inherited a gold mine, compared to San Diego, but of course I'm not going to tell anyone else that."

I don't know about a gold mine, but I'm sure he's confident he can get a lot more out of this line that underperformed and were poorly coached last year. He also benefits from them being together a year. Their newness to each other was a huge factor in their poor play last year.

islandah said:
I don't know about a gold mine, but I'm sure he's confident he can get a lot more out of this line that underperformed and were poorly coached last year. He also benefits from them being together a year. Their newness to each other was a huge factor in their poor play last year.

Very good post, I think speilman did the right thing in dumping our old line and putting together this young new OL..did they have to grow up last year, you bet, but I think it sets the phins up for a long time..I've said this before..but I feel better about our OL. Am I completely sold, the seaon will have to justify that. But we're defintely headed in the right direction.

I remember all the arguements about whether our problems were due to poor coaching or lack of talent.

I always thought it was poor coaching.A lack of imaginative playcalling and adjustments during a game.Always trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

A lot of people on this MB were of the opinion that we lacked talent and that coaching only could do so much.I wonder if they have that same opinion now.

FinFan57 said:
After watching the video of Houck a few days ago, I couldn't help but noticing a concealed grin on his face. He has such an air of confidence and seems to be very at ease with this line.

At the interview, I think Houck really wanted to say, "Basically guys, the Dolphins had the worst Head Coach and Offensive Line Coach I have ever seen. My grand daughter could have done a better job of teaching these guys than Tony Wise." Then the press would have asked, "Oh, really. Were you not impressed with the scheme Wise was using?" Houck's reply, "What scheme?" Houck is then thinking to himself, "These guys have no idea how good these players are. I inherited a gold mine, compared to San Diego, but of course I'm not going to tell anyone else that."

Bottom line is that we have a lot of talent on our oline, especially if you compare our line to what Houck inherited last year in San Diego. He had 5 new starters, two of which were rookies who were 2nd day picks. The Dolphins have two 1st rounders (Carey and McDougle), a 3 year starter (McIntosh), a guy who started for a Super Bowl Team (James) and some talented young guys (McKinney, Hadnot) who just need to be coached. Not to mention, we have a great Offensive Coordinator and Head Coach who will work with and not against Houck.
cool dude i thought i was the only one who saw that devious smirK on Houck's face...he certainly looks like hes happy with what he got here in Miami...more talent than SD line...as much potential as Dallas line.

I was under the immpression last year that Tony Wise did a horrible job preparing the o-line before each game, especially the young guys. They could never understand his game plan let alone execute it.

I really think the talent is there, they where just very unorganized under Wise.

bigmiamifan said:
You're a bills fan, so the confusion is well expected as I'd be confused to with your team's history.
What do you guys seriously think Houck was going to say in public, "my players suck" ?

You guys should know by now that Saban wants people to be guessing. Don't you think his coaches would follow suit?

If Saban said " I love debbie cakes". I wonder how someone would interpret that..." I saw him smirk which means Saban really like his safeties and especially his cb's." :shakeno:

You can interpret it in a way that you want to especially if it's sounds good even though there was really nothing said.

Justasportsfan said:
What do you guys seriously think Houck was going to say in public, "my players suck" ?

You guys should know by now that Saban wants people to be guessing. Don't you think his coaches would follow suit?

If Saban said " I love debbie cakes". I wonder how someone would interpret that..." I saw him smirk which means Saban really like his safeties" :shakeno:

You can interpret it in a way that you want to especially if it's sounds good even though there was really nothing said.

The bottom line is we are dolphin fans. We are optimistic and excited. It's all speculation and talk. Why does it bother you?

Trackstar said:
The bottom line is we are dolphin fans. We are optimistic and excited. It's all speculation and talk. Why does it bother you?
It doesn't bother me. Try to be objective in your optimism. If Houck thought the fins OL was a goldmine, why didn't he keep DMac w/ the chargers last year?

Justasportsfan said:
It doesn't bother me. Try to be objective in your optimism. If Houck thought the fins OL was a goldmine, why didn't he keep DMac w/ the chargers last year?

Okay, Justa, give us your take on this line in year 2, but new coach and O.

MDFINFAN said:
Okay, Justa, give us your take on this line in year 2, but new coach and O.
I won't disagree that better coaching makes a team better. McNally made the bills OL better than they were the year before. He has the ability to turn chicken crap to chicken salad but I doubt any bills fans thought we'd have the Dallas OL of the 90's after a few months after his hiring.

Back
Top Bottom