What I believe is going on | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What I believe is going on

Back in 2014 we were 8-8 and just missed the playoffs mainly due to 3 close games in which Tannehill scored late to give us the lead the D gave up late drives to lose games that would have put us in the playoffs. The logical thinking (at that time) is we are close and need to stop these last minute drives and a supposed once in a life time player came available in Suh that would help with those late game collapses. Obviously it did not work out as planned.

The 2 biggest issues with this team that have been going on for a VERY LONG time is horrid drafts and the O-Line. We have drafted so bad for so long that we have had to reach for good but often injured players like Delmas, Albert, and many others. Really Grimes is the only one that worked out decently. Albert was solid, but as he was in KC was often injured here too.

This regime whether right or wrong has made a decision of trying to stop slapping Band-Aids on wounds that have been open for a long time in an attempt to be competitive. They have decided to not over pay in an attempt to keep players that are good but not great and have had us averaging around .500 or below for years. We are cutting bait with the likes of Suh as well, who although a great player is not a leader and freelances too much, often running him self out of the play and losing gap integrity.

I believe the thought process here is to hopefully take one step back to take many steps forward. I love Tannehill, but he could be caught up in this as well. I think we are going to start (or attempt) to build through the draft, sign quality free agents smartly, and not overpay for our own players who will not accept fair offers to be here. It all starts with the draft though. The draft is how you keep your cap down and if you chose wisely, you don't have to gamble with the likes of Albert or overpay for the likes of Suh.

Yes it is hard to see talent leave, but it is not hard to see us not overpay for that talent on a team that has a lot of holes and not a lot of cap space.......so I get it and see what they are doing. Just MHO on the matter.

No way this happening because it makes too much sense. Miami with a plan or vision ... hahaha. How I wish you were right.

You kind of said it. They want players who don’t freelance. Ajayi often hit the wrong hole. Landry (or his agent) were quoted as saying that Gase wants guys to run all 5 yards before cutting out instead of the 4.5 that Landry would do... presumably meaning other routes and depths as well. Suh is just as guilty of doing his own thing. They want guys who execute the plays as they’re drawn up. This has nothing to do with their attitudes or being too alpha or whatever other crap the media tries to feed us. Same reasons they believe they can get OL players from anywhere and have the line work. Be a team player, execute the plays on game day as they practice them and the system will work. I don’t know if I agree with this but it’s clear to me that this is the strategy they’re employing.

You kind of said it. They want players who don’t freelance. Ajayi often hit the wrong hole. Landry (or his agent) were quoted as saying that Gase wants guys to run all 5 yards before cutting out instead of the 4.5 that Landry would do... presumably meaning other routes and depths as well. Suh is just as guilty of doing his own thing. They want guys who execute the plays as they’re drawn up. This has nothing to do with their attitudes or being too alpha or whatever other crap the media tries to feed us. Same reasons they believe they can get OL players from anywhere and have the line work. Be a team player, execute the plays on game day as they practice them and the system will work. I don’t know if I agree with this but it’s clear to me that this is the strategy they’re employing.

So they extend Reshad Jones to a huge deal, the freelance king, a guy who had a year left on his deal coming off a season ending injury in which the team went 9-2 without him.

Yea this all makes no ****ing sense.

I just think the FO is terrible and they don’t know what’s going on.

Although Suh hasn’t been anywhere near as good from a pass rushing standpoint that he was in Detroit, he was still a damn good player.

Miami got rid of a damn good player today. Nothing else needs to be said.

Can't dispute any of that above, except more does need to be said. His cap numbers were never realistic and major league backloaded, it was just time for the inevitable. People saw this the day he was signed so I'm not surprised. He may have been a damn good player, but he has been getting paid as if he was a God, and he has been far from that. Hopefully, lessons have been learned, and wiser mind will prevail.

So they extend Reshad Jones to a huge deal, the freelance king, a guy who had a year left on his deal coming off a season ending injury in which the team went 9-2 without him.

Yea this all makes no ****ing sense.

A year ago. Their strategy has obviously changed since then. Although I don’t believe Jones is the same type of problem. He’s easily the best player in our secondary and is a difference maker. You can’t say that about Suh or Landry. Plus there’s nobody behind him on the depth chart they could slot in as they can at DT, WR and RB.

These are players I'm not going to miss besides Landry. I really like Suh. He's a great player, but I hate his contract.
I just worry that as soon we fix the cap space we'll go back to doing the same thing and wasting it in FA. If not, then I'm board with this plan. You can't win tied down by terrible cap space.

A year ago. Their strategy has obviously changed since then. Although I don’t believe Jones is the same type of problem. He’s easily the best player in our secondary and is a difference maker. You can’t say that about Suh or Landry. Plus there’s nobody behind him on the depth chart they could slot in as they can at DT, WR and RB.

Tj Mcdonald? Hell he is the most obvious slot in on the team.

But that is not my point and I am not advocating anything about Jones. If you want to believe that Landry and Suh weren’t difference makers that is on you.

My point is, today, a year ago, 2015 when they signed Suh or 2016 when they restructured him . . . .there is ZERO vision from this front office and you cannot build a successful franchise with the complete lack of vision that these idiots have shown. No contigency at QB except for a QB that the coach clearly did not like or trust . . . To the point where they pay 10 million to a guy on his couch? That ain’t vision and this so called “culture change” is a big **** you to the fans in an attempt to scapegoat their incompetence.

You don’t build a successful franchise by being the clubhouse leader in most traded draft picks and signing other teams cuts or not retaining your good players.

And when we are winning all of you will proclaim the entire front office and coaching staff geniuses. Why not lets just wait out all of the moves and acquisitions and see what the new team looks like. The old roster and makeup didn't get us anywhere.

And when we are winning all of you will proclaim the entire front office and coaching staff geniuses. Why not lets just wait out all of the moves and acquisitions and see what the new team looks like. The old roster and makeup didn't get us anywhere.
Exactly a lot of knee jerk reactions lately. This might turn out for the better.

Back
Top Bottom