What I thought happened in the waning minutes on Sunday | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What I thought happened in the waning minutes on Sunday

Could it be that "butt block" was actually a planned play were the opposition can never touch the ball?

How "slick" is McDaniel, really? - LOL
Yeah I can hear that conversation now:

Coach: "Yo Morstead! I want you to punt the ball into Sherfield's ass."
Morstead: "you want me to do what??"
Coach: "I want you punt the ball directly into Sherfield's asshole and take the safety!'

Sherfield: "ummmmmmmm.........does my asshole get a say in all this!! There is nothing "safe" about this!"

If we want to be really picky, you probably don’t run the sneak on 2nd down but on 1st… everyone was expecting it on 2nd down when we lost yardage on first down. I used to remember Tom Brady would sneak it on 1st down often to get off the goal line.

That would have been the only little thing I would have changed about how they handled things.

If we want to be really picky, you probably don’t run the sneak on 2nd down but on 1st… everyone was expecting it on 2nd down when we lost yardage on first down. I used to remember Tom Brady would sneak it on 1st down often to get off the goal line.

That would have been the only little thing I would have changed about how they handled things.
I was yelling at the TV to just sneak it 3 straight times and punt but I gotta think Tua’s injury made it to where McDaniel didn’t want to call that play

Criticism of coaching decision in the final two minutes:
We run on first down and second down on the two yard line and then the one making the Bills use their last time out.
3rd down, at about 1:44 left in the game, we decide to throw the ball in lieu of running and the clock goes down to 1:37 followed by the Butt Punt.

Monday morning QBing here, we should have run the ball on third down allowing the clock to run down to a minute. The next play, have the ball snapped to the punter and have him run in the back field to eventually run out of bounds leaving about 50 seconds left on the clock followed by the free kick (P.S. that was an awesome punt and he should get some accolades for that 70 year boomer).

I was sitting in the end zone at the game when they punted the ball which most of us thought it they were going to give up a safety to avoid a blocked punt with the limited yardage they had.

I hope the coaching staff looks at the film and examines their short yardage situation backed up on their goal line.

Okay, enough second guessing. That was an awesome game which I lost my voice. We stayed to watch the players leave the field. Everyone was cheering walking down to the parking lot. The Bills fans we ran into were not happy but congratulated us on the win. We were worried about being two and two and today we have the hopes of being 4-0 come Friday!!!!

Fins Up!!!!

Criticism of coaching decision in the final two minutes:
We run on first down and second down on the two yard line and then the one making the Bills use their last time out.
3rd down, at about 1:44 left in the game, we decide to throw the ball in lieu of running and the clock goes down to 1:37 followed by the Butt Punt.

Monday morning QBing here, we should have run the ball on third down allowing the clock to run down to a minute. The next play, have the ball snapped to the punter and have him run in the back field to eventually run out of bounds leaving about 50 seconds left on the clock followed by the free kick (P.S. that was an awesome punt and he should get some accolades for that 70 year boomer).

I was sitting in the end zone at the game when they punted the ball which most of us thought it they were going to give up a safety to avoid a blocked punt with the limited yardage they had.

I hope the coaching staff looks at the film and examines their short yardage situation backed up on their goal line.

Okay, enough second guessing. That was an awesome game which I lost my voice. We stayed to watch the players leave the field. Everyone was cheering walking down to the parking lot. The Bills fans we ran into were not happy but congratulated us on the win. We were worried about being two and two and today we have the hopes of being 4-0 come Friday!!!!

Fins Up!!!!

I agree with this strategy while recognizing that it is a very difficult decision. Running the ball on 3rd down and taking the intentional safety eliminates the risks with the strategy of passing on 3rd down followed by a punt (if you don't get a 1st down). The latter strategy risks an interception, an incompletion (stopping the clock), and a blocked/short punt if you don't advance the ball. Passing to gain a 1st down there is a high risk/low reward event, IMO.

Assuming an incompletion on 3rd down followed by a short punt (the most likely outcome of passing on 3rd down) versus running on 3rd down followed by an intentional safety, you are evaluating whether it is more likely that the Bills drive roughly 50 yards for a TD with 1 minute, 20 seconds remaining or whether the Bills drive roughly 40 yards for a long FG attempt with 40 seconds remaining. The 3rd down run followed by the intentional safety is the better strategy as it also eliminates the maximum risks of an interception on the 3rd down pass as well as the blocked punt on 4th down following an incompletion.

One question remains: if you decide to take the intentional safety, why not direct snap it to Edmonds? He could potentially run around in the end zone for 10+ seconds before stepping out of the back of the end zone. I would guess this might be deemed poor sportsmanship rather than the best tactic in that situation. Not sure.

Last edited:
Yeah I can hear that conversation now:

Coach: "Yo Morstead! I want you to punt the ball into Sherfield's ass."
Morstead: "you want me to do what??"
Coach: "I want you punt the ball directly into Sherfield's asshole and take the safety!'

Sherfield: "ummmmmmmm.........does my asshole get a say in all this!! There is nothing "safe" about this!"

I'm telling you. It's like the design McDaniel threw up for Tua to throw an INT on purpose.

This coach is something else lol

Didn't Hawkins say Coach told him whatever he was supposedto do.. do the opposite because the defense wouldn't expect it.

Well punting into someone's butt cheeks is definitely the opposite of what the defense thinks youll do.

The evidence points to your theory being correct lol.

I'm telling you. It's like the design McDaniel threw up for Tua to throw an INT on purpose.

This coach is something else lol

Didn't Hawkins say Coach told him whatever he was supposedto do.. do the opposite because the defense wouldn't expect it.

Well punting into someone's butt cheeks is definitely the opposite of what the defense thinks youll do.

The evidence points to your theory being correct lol.
I just can't help myself - LOL

Back
Top Bottom