What If?? Dolphins Vs Cowboys In Sb 27

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finner89, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy and let it fly." Finheaven VIP Donator

Super Bowl IX would've been ours. But, that would have been the end of our run. Pittsburgh the next year was the start of their truly great teams.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    SF Dolphin Fan and Dakar001 like this.
  2. Bopkin02

Bopkin02 Seasoned Veteran

I love debates like these, though knowing these answers is not possible- sometimes it's torture to think about.
    That same year the Bills beat us in the AFC Championship game, remember that is the year the Bills came back from 35-3 to beat the Oilers. Let's say that doesn't happen, and we play anyone else at home, and we win.
    Remember also, that year, Jim Kelly had some injury issues. Remember he didn't make it through the whole Super Bowl debacle vs Dallas. Remember also this: The Bills had lost 2 Super Bowls in a row, and there was A LOT of pressure on them not to lose a third. There were a couple of odd bounces early in that Super Bowl that went Dallas's way- and the game snowballed away from Buffalo; that pressure on them could not have helped, and when the ball took some quirky bounces in Dallas's favor, that is when everything just fell apart. So, in large part, we must ask: Did Dallas destroy Buffalo because they were just that much better, or did Dallas destroy Buffalo because they were a great team, but also because they were playing a damaged opponent who folded to the pressure of the inevitable "here we go again"? Because, for those of us who were around, there was A LOT of that talk. No team at that point besides the 71-73 Dolphins had ever been to three Super Bowls in a row. And having lost the first two was such a talking point leading up to the game, that the pressure of Buffalo was unique and heavy.
    My point being, the 92 Dolphins going into that game would not have had that kind of pressure. There would have been some talk about Marino getting his ring finally, all that- but I don't think Miami gets destroyed the same way Buffalo did. That score is misleading due to the pressure on a team that finally snapped. Would we have won? No idea. But I think it likely would have been a better game. Shula would not have been bothered by the pressure. Marino was not a guy bothered by pressure. It would more have been could they have kept up with Dallas's speed.

3. Digital

Digital Starter Finheaven VIP

Absolutely agree. I'm extremely comfortable if it becomes a shootout and its Marino vs. McMahon. I'm very confident if its a close game. My on reservation is whether our defense could hold up. In the end, that team was just another of a long line of teams that played ball control offense through the running game, and a stifling defense of fast guys who didn't have the greatest stamina. Since we had demystified the defense, it would have been up to Walter Payton and their running game to keep Marino on the sideline … and that's a real possibility. But I'm confident that in a high scoring game, we're the easy victors.

SF Dolphin Fan likes this.
  4. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Agree. That team took it to the next level as Bradshaw emerged as a legitimate quarterback and the defense took off. Plus, Miami started to lose talent specifically Csonka, Kiick and Warfield to the World Football League.

As an aside, Bradshaw's quarterback rating in 1973 was 54.5, in 1974 it was 55.2 and in 1975 it was 88.0. To me, that was a factor that made them beatable early on in their dynasty.

5. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Yep, the Chicago running game could have been a factor. In that regard, Miami's defense likely would have had to play one of their better games to stop Payton.

Digital likes this.
  6. jfleag61

jfleag61 A True Fan

The Marino factor??? Like against the 49ers???

7. royalshank

royalshank Not a Game-Changer Finheaven VIP Donator

100%. And I think you are giving the Bears offense more credit than they deserved. We would have beaten them again. No answer for Miami’s O. That fluke play happened late and that game was over at Halftime.

Digital likes this.
  8. royalshank

He played well that day to be honest. But the miners were so balanced and the better team at 15-1. If you haven’t seen the documentary of that game I highly recommend it. Shows the chess match and how it played out between Walsh and Shula. They both did all the right things. At the end of the day, when SF went to 7 and 8 DBs and we tried to run, our 5 couldn’t block their 3 and that made us 1 dimensional and put us in checkmate.

SF Dolphin Fan likes this.
  9. John Biello

John Biello Perennial All-Pro

Hoping you could guide me to the location of this documentary please?

10. Digital

Yes it was! We exploded out to an insurmountable lead by halftime … they were shell-shocked.

royalshank likes this.
  11. royalshank

It’s the one NFL Films did - they do one for every SB. I believe Harry’s Kalas narrated but not positive - I think they can be accessed on HBO but not positive.

John Biello likes this.
  12. royalshank

Yep. We even blocked a punt before the half and got points. They were shell shocked and the game was never close. I remember Allie Sherman predicting the outcome and “how” we were going to beat them on Monday Night Matchup. He was dead on and saw it all unfold as a great former coach would - before we all did. He said, Marino’s release is too quick and he’ll hit his WRs in the flats - who will be open and make the slower Chi corners miss. Something to that effect. It was spot on.

Digital likes this.
  13. WCUPUNK

WCUPUNK Well-Known Member

that is the biggest "what if" as well. wonder how Buddy Ryan would have adapted his scheme following that beat down in Miami.

14. Digital

Wow, I didn't remember that part. Always nice when the analysts know what they're doing.

15. royalshank

I found it - it’s this one. Does a really good job of breaking it down. There’s some promo junk in the beginning. Start at about the 3 min mark.

John Biello likes this.