What If?? Dolphins Vs Cowboys In Sb 27 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What If?? Dolphins Vs Cowboys In Sb 27

He played well that day to be honest. But the miners were so balanced and the better team at 15-1. If you haven’t seen the documentary of that game I highly recommend it. Shows the chess match and how it played out between Walsh and Shula. They both did all the right things. At the end of the day, when SF went to 7 and 8 DBs and we tried to run, our 5 couldn’t block their 3 and that made us 1 dimensional and put us in checkmate.

Marino played well out of the gate... they were just Superior overall...we had the 19th ranked defense out of 28 teams at the time, and we couldn’t run on them....Marino got beaten up!

Marino played well out of the gate... they were just Superior overall...we had the 19th ranked defense out of 28 teams at the time, and we couldn’t run on them....Marino got beaten up!
Yep. Check out the video I posted the doc of the game. He did start out like a house on fire going 9-10, 103 yds and a TD. Then Walsh adjusted and Shula tried to counter but we couldn’t run. It’s a good piece on the game.

Yep. Check out the video I posted the doc of the game. He did start out like a house on fire going 9-10, 103 yds and a TD. Then Walsh adjusted and Shula tried to counter but we couldn’t run. It’s a good piece on the game.

I will thanks... of course I saw it live... just as I did all 5 dolphin Superbowls.

That's the game I would have loved to see. Miami matched up well with that Chicago defense. I would have also liked to see the 1974 team that lost the Sea of Hands game to the Raiders face Pittsburgh at home in the AFC title. I feel that Steelers team was beatable and Miami matched up well.

Marino was one year too late... even as a rookie he would have won Super Bowl 17 in my opinion... Woodley was pathetic in that game... and we still led after 3 quarters.

I will thanks... of course I saw it live... just as I did all 5 dolphin Superbowls.
Oh I know you did. I saw it too. I thought the piece does a nice job of dissecting the stuff we didn’t see in the game such as the play designs SF used to exploit our inside backers etc.

We were the 7th ranked defense, and we didn't attempt to establish a run game. In the 1st QTR we had 10 pas plays and ran 2 times. In the 2nd QTR we had 17 pass plays and ran 3 times. In the 3rd QTR we had 9 pass plays and ran 3 times. In the 4th QTR we had 18 pass plays and ran 1 time.

The other thing about the doc is it shows IMO how two great coaches made all the right in-game moves but at the end of the day the game is won in the trenches and they were just too physical for us on both sides of the ball. Same story for every SB from ‘81-‘95 except the 1 the Raiders won in ‘83 - NFC was beefier in the trenches. That SF team we played had studs all over the place. Seeing the names Fred Dean and Gary “big hands” Johnson (who both came over from SD I think), Russ Francis at TE etc - these are great players you don’t even think of when recalling that team - you forget about them as they get lost in the Montana, Craig, Cross, Lott, Turner, Clark, Solomon, Tyler, etc crowd. I think the ‘84 miners would have crushed the ‘85 Bears.

Looks like Marino was 4-2 against the Cowboys with one loss being his final year when he was old and likely less than 50%
Marino would have won that SB for us
Doesn't matter about Buffalo...They just had our number

We were the 7th ranked defense, and we didn't attempt to establish a run game. In the 1st QTR we had 10 pas plays and ran 2 times. In the 2nd QTR we had 17 pass plays and ran 3 times. In the 3rd QTR we had 9 pass plays and ran 3 times. In the 4th QTR we had 18 pass plays and ran 1 time.
Check out the doc - we did. We opened up 9-10 passing w 2 drives and 10 points as we went no huddle on our 2nd drive and caught SF w their pants down and run D on the field. When we tried to run after SF went to basically 7 DBs (LB Keena Turner was a burner) we could not run block to save our lives. They shot gaps and took our backs down as they were getting the ball. Was not a flawed plan- their D line too much (Dean, Johnson, Pillars) for our Oline.

Check out the doc - we did. We opened up 9-10 passing w 2 drives and 10 points as we went no huddle on our 2nd drive and caught SF w their pants down and run D on the field. When we tried to run after SF went to basically 7 DBs (LB Keena Turner was a burner) we could not run block to save our lives. They shot gaps and took our backs down as they were getting the ball. Was not a flawed plan- their D line too much (Dean, Johnson, Pillars) for our Oline.

I understand the run game was not effective but at less than 3 attempts per QTR you are pretty much abandoning it from the get go. You absolutely cannot establish a run game at less than 3 attempts per QTR, I couldn't call that a genuine effort.

I understand the run game was not effective but at less than 3 attempts per QTR you are pretty much abandoning it from the get go. You absolutely cannot establish a run game at less than 3 attempts per QTR, I couldn't call that a genuine effort.
Well keep in mind we couldn’t get off of the field in the 2nd quarter and next thing you know it’s 28-10. And yet we still tried to get it going on the 2nd half.

Back
Top Bottom