What if nothing comes to fruition? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if nothing comes to fruition?

A Wing Pilot

Section:445 Row:19 Seat:1&2
Reaction score
Its Sunday at 12:29 we have one minute left in our window. No one wants to trade, Nothing happened with Surtain and we have gained no extra picks. Obvisouly we are going to pick a player, but the real question is:

Has the draft been a success or failure of sorts for Nick Saban?

Does the fact that he held to his guns and terms and suffered due to it make him a success or failure as his first draft comes around. In my opinion if he sticks to his guns that sends a clear message to all the other teams, but at the same time the dolphins suffer because of it. So how do you grade him? I'm not grading his choices of plyers just his choices of strategy ect.

Some examples:

Vikings willing to give there first two straight up for our first. Nick wants first two and a later round pick. Me personally if it comes down to 1-3 minutes left then yes I take it, I still get a top 10 and and a top 20. If the chiefs offer a fourth for surtain I tell them to piss off and we find a way to get the deal done. Theres a handfull of scenarios here but I'm interested to se how we judge his strategy more then his choices.

If he doesn't come out of this with any extra picks, and there are other trades being made around us, it will have been a failure, IMO.

The key is, if the other trades happen or not. If there are no other trades done, then everybody was bluffing and there was nothing he could do about it. If other trades get done then Saban will have to take the blame for playing the market too hard.

I hate to cop out like this, but I don't know. It depends to what extent Minny actually put 7 and 18 on the table. Did it actually happen, or was it just rumored? Fact is, we're probably never going to know for sure what Saban was offered. So, we have to go strictly on results and disregard strategy.

I think it's not a failure. If people don't want to deal then they don't want to deal. That's clearly not for the want of trying. We still sit at 2 and take a player that's going to help our ballclub.

The ultimate success or failure of the draft won't be in the trades, but in the performance and value of the players actually picked for the team. We can guess on Sunday night, but we'll know better in a couple of years.

I can't fault him for not making trades if he makes good selections with the picks we have. Conversely, I won't be happy if he makes shrewd trades and then picks bad players.

I suspect the reason Saban wants the picks this year is he has the most personal intelligence on the players available -- he's seen the play, heard about them from other coaches, and watched film on them for the last 3-4 years. I think this will make him successful in this draft...but if he isn't, I think that's a really bad sign for the future.

Back
Top Bottom