What if Ryan Tannehill is the best receiver on the roster? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if Ryan Tannehill is the best receiver on the roster?

Built2Win

Active Roster
Reaction score
I watched Jon Gruden talking to Tannehill and got the impression Ryan likes being a Qb allot more than a receiver. Tannehill gave reasons of being more in control of a game instead of a limited box of space a receiver occupies. Tannehill put up pretty good #s as a receiver and was a big target in the passing game before converting to a Qb. I think with Tannehill being as large and fast as he is along with the intelligence of routes and timing he will be able to give insight to the other receivers on the roster unlike other rookie Qb's. Is it inconceivable to think that the dolphins may give him a few plays a game at receiver to get his feet wet in the NFL?

Tannehill at receiver would be best compared as a guy like Joe Juravicious with Tampa a few seasons ago, and then the browns. A guy who can make some pretty good catches when you need him but is no threat as a number 1 receiver. With that said, as far as length, and ability to catch a ball it is there but it makes this discussion a bit irrelevant cause our need right now is a Quarterback. Devon Bess may surprise people this season if we can get a solid number 1 receiver to play consistent.

A) He is not that good a WR

B) I'm trying to remember but I think we drafted him to be our franchise QB, someone that will play at a high level for at least several years.

Don't you think that on the teams we play, there will be talk about trying to hurt him and take him out? What kind of chance are you willing to take? Would you be OK with a 20% chance that if we play him at WR that could hinder him from ever being a great QB? Do you know why when you see a QB warming up on the sidelines, the ball is not thrown back to him, it is thrown to a player at any other position and is handed to the QB?

Also remember, our entire WR corp is very young. Every WR rep given to Tannehill is a rep taken anyway from a "real" WR,

I can handle 2-3 times a season some sort of trick play that has Tannehill go out for a sneaking TD pass but that is it.

Put him in occasionally to catch a pass from Moore, or have Tannehill line up next to Moore to confuse the defenses even more, but I wouldn't go back to running the Wildcat again, but I think Tannehill could be used for some trick plays.

And what if someone posted a stupid thread on Finheaven? You don't draft a QB at #8 to play receiver. You don't risk your Future Franchise QB playing receiver and taking a hard hit. You must be new to the sport of Football. Welcome.

To me, if the guy isn't our starting quarterback, I want to find ways to get him on the field in successful situations. If one of those ways to get him on the field is as a receiver, to throw the other team off a little bit...hey so be it.

as mentioned above, I'd be fine with a gimick play here and there but no way does he do what he did in college by becoming a full time starter at WR unless the coaching staff has fulling given up on him as a QB, and I don't see that heppening anytime soon.

Drafted to be a QB. Instead you want him running routes over the middle so any decent MLB can go "HULK SMASH" on his face. Let him learn to be a QB instead of worrying about playing another position.

Tannehill is very athletic, and it will be tough to never have a play where he ends up getting the ball passed to him on an option or trick play, but at the moment he's supposed to be Miami's future QB (whether it be sooner or later), and considering other teams also would know he is Miami's future, it would be foolish of Miami to EVER line him up at receiver, the moment they saw him lined up at receiver, it will would become feast time for the defense, and put a very large target on Tannehill's chest.

So stunt the growth of the QB by having him take reps with the WRs instead of taking reps with the QBs, deny another young receiver who you could be developing his reps so Tannehill can get those reps in and pretty much screw your franchise over. Sure...it makes perfect sense. I wonder if the Colts will play Andrew Luck at TE since he made that great one handed catch along the sidelines....makes as much sense as this does.

Im all for seeing Tannehill catching 60 balls this year thatll be great. Bess, Hartline, Gates, Fasano, Clay, Egnew, Bush, Thomas, they can all play Qb. itll be great.

Back
Top Bottom