What if Saban fails? How much time do we give him? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if Saban fails? How much time do we give him?

wazzy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I know the Dolphins have loads of potential and as good as hes making this team look good on paper but what if he can't make these guys perform on the field. How many years do we give him? 3 or 4 or 5 depending on improvements but like if we dont have any winning seasons for his whole dolphins career as a coach how long do you think he should stay in Miami?

I think after 2 years, if we don't have a winning season, he would be in the hot seat. So I guess that means 3 seasons. If we aren't in the playoffs after 4-5 years, I think he would go.

I honesty believe he's a shula tpe around for a long long time. But i also belive he has a 3-5 year plan. if we are continually at the bottom of the AFCE at the end of 5 years then he needs to be re-evalutaed, but I think that that issue may never really come up

As long as the team is progressing I dont see us getting rid of him. He would have to have back to back 3 or 4 win seasons for us to consider firing him. If he is getting totally outclassed, losing games like 34-3 to lousy teams then he might simply be one of those college coaches that couldnt make the transition but I doubt that will happen. I never would have hired Wannestadt, I couldnt wait for him to go, but I would have hired Saban, Id give him 3 or 4 years unless he was clearly outclassed by the NFL coaches.

Wayne doesnt' like to change coaches...he'll give him lots of time (see Wanny)....Besides, this is quite different this time around...with Wanny, it was merely an extension of the JJ era (without any success, although JJ struggled he at least rebuilt the talent on the team)....I thought that Mr. H gave Wanny about 2 years longer than he should have, so I suspect that unless there is a major problem with Saban in the near future, he'll be here about 5 years...Unless Mr. H sells the team, then all bets are off.

WitheringPlant said:
I think after 2 years, if we don't have a winning season, he would be in the hot seat. So I guess that means 3 seasons. If we aren't in the playoffs after 4-5 years, I think he would go.

4-5 yrs is an eternity in the NFL. In this era of free agency coaches have 2-3 yrs to show something. If they don't, they are gone.5 yrs is a career for the average NFL player.

I would give him 2 or 3 years to turn us into playoff contenders...though as wanny's substitute, he deserves a decade :lol: just kidding..IMO the point is improvement, if there's improvement there's another chance to the guy.

I say give him the length of his contract(5 years) or at least 4 years. Wanny got 5 years for crying out loud! However, 2-3 years down the road, we will most likely be talking about giving him a contract extension.

I don't see him failing but if we're 3-4 years down the road from now and we haven't won more than 8 games then something is wrong.

IMO He is going to coach at least the length of his contract regardless of the results.

Think of it this way, if Aj does not show he's a decent QB, a new Qb will be brought in next year and if he's drafted would you expect a rookie Qb to come in and lead the team to the playoffs in his 1st year? I say if AJ turns out to be the answer the team could be a playoff contender next season, if AJ is not the answer than it's year 3-4 that the team needs to be a playoff contender. I don't think it's a quick fix so i'm gonna be patient and there will be growing pains as Saban adjusts to the pro game, it's definately not a quick fix, and alot of fans seem to have very high expectations, all I hope is that the team is much better at the end of the year than they were at the start.

This isn't even an option to me. Nick has shown nothing but the ability to lead his teams to success at every stop. #1 defense as DC in Cleveland, from the bottom to the Top at MSU, and from middle of the pack/Bottom of the pack at LSU to National Champs. Nick will be successful, we'll be improved this year, but when he has HIS players, we'll be 10+ wins consistently!

djfresh47 said:
Think of it this way, if Aj does not show he's a decent QB, a new Qb will be brought in next year and if he's drafted would you expect a rookie Qb to come in and lead the team to the playoffs in his 1st year? I say if AJ turns out to be the answer the team could be a playoff contender next season, if AJ is not the answer than it's year 3-4 that the team needs to be a playoff contender. I don't think it's a quick fix so i'm gonna be patient and there will be growing pains as Saban adjusts to the pro game, it's definately not a quick fix, and alot of fans seem to have very high expectations, all I hope is that the team is much better at the end of the year than they were at the start.

Now that's a football post..great post.

Realisticly it should take a new coach 3 years to have a team on the brink of the playoffs. If after 3 years your not even near the playoffs he will more than likely be gone. Unless there was some major injuries or somthing in the third year

Back
Top Bottom