What if we wind up with the first pick next year | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if we wind up with the first pick next year

For arguements sake, lets say we are forced to start Rosen because of a Fitz injury and he leads us to the worst record in the league. If we end up with first pick in the draft next year would you take Lawrence and trade Tua or trade the first pick for a massive haul ? Us ending up with the worst record is definitely possible considering Rosen may start some games, bad o-line, and lots of rookies starting. What say you ?

Actually, better yet, Watson from the Texans gets injured again trying to make a play without a real #1 Receiver, the Texans struggle enough, they get the #1 pick, while that Dolphins start ok, look better by mid-season, and end as one of the hotter teams as the reach the playoffs.

If those doubtful secanrios of getting the #1 pick (With either 1st) were to happen, what Miami will/should do is see who the actual best player is of the draft, if a D-Linemen is thought to be the best player coming out, Miami might need to pull the trigger...Unless another team sends a kings ransom for the pick.

If Lawrence continues to be the one, Miami will need to again send mixed signals that they may go QB (Unless Tua kills it in 2020)...Either way, take the trade if worth it, if not, just take someone else other then Lawrence with the #1 pick.

Last edited:
If this happens everything we are doing gets tossed out and we start over again. If Flores can win 5 with last years roster 2 with next years is completely and totally unacceptable.

If this happens everything we are doing gets tossed out and we start over again. If Flores can win 5 with last years roster 2 with next years is completely and totally unacceptable.
It could happen.. did we beat any good time last yr beside N.E. How serious was the other team in winning..

As much as I’m a Flores fan from what he did last year. If we win 2 games with all the free agents and draft picks. Compared to all the grocery clerks/ car salesman from last year, I’d say it’s time to cut bait and run from him.

It could happen.. did we beat any good time last yr beside N.E. How serious was the other team in winning..

Doesn't matter as we saw last year losing that many games, even when your not that talented, is tough. Too many teams are going to gift wrap games. If our staff is worth its weight in salt this will not happen period.

sometimes I feel like people like the draft more then winning football games.

As much as I’m a Flores fan from what he did last year. If we win 2 games with all the free agents and draft picks. Compared to all the grocery clerks/ car salesman from last year, I’d say it’s time to cut bait and run from him.
That seems like a knee jerk generalization to me.

The circumstances would be important in that unlikely occurance.

While a bad HC is a disaster to a franchise, so is changing regimes every three years. Stability is important.

We tore it down to such an unprecedented level, that our talent was less than that of an expansion team. We missed out on rookie camp, OTAs, minicamp, etc. We will have, probobly, 50% new starters (80% on the O-line).

It takes time for a team of unfamiliar faces to come together and become effective as units.

I'm certainly not saying Flo gets an immunity pass, but let's take the relative factors into account.

We could, theoretically, improve to top 15-20 defensively, and top 20 offensively (thus showing good improvement/progress), and still have the same, or worse record.

Last edited:

Two is a lower threshold but there is scenario where the oline is garbage again, Fitz regresses, and Rosen/Tua can't do much better. Add in a couple of injuries to key players and things could go south pretty quick.

So many people have already written in Lawrence as the next great one but I don't even think its a give that he next year's first overall pick. If he doesn't show improvement over last year and Fields takes another leap forward then there will be plenty of debate.

I hope Grier starts to take on the JJ/Belichick philosophy of trading down for future picks next season unless there is an obvious transcendent talent to be had. Going into every draft with 4-5 first day picks is the way to maintain a franchise and the Phins aren't going to be at the point anytime soon where they'll be seeing high compensatory picks.

Two is a lower threshold but there is scenario where the oline is garbage again, Fitz regresses, and Rosen/Tua can't do much better. Add in a couple of injuries to key players and things could go south pretty quick.

So many people have already written in Lawrence as the next great one but I don't even think its a give that he next year's first overall pick. If he doesn't show improvement over last year and Fields takes another leap forward then there will be plenty of debate.

I hope Grier starts to take on the JJ/Belichick philosophy of trading down for future picks next season unless there is an obvious transcendent talent to be had. Going into every draft with 4-5 first day picks is the way to maintain a franchise and the Phins aren't going to be at the point anytime soon where they'll be seeing high compensatory picks.

I guess if the wheels really fell off injury wise but I can’t see how anyone wouldn’t think this is a terrible scenario. I hope there aren’t bozos rooting for the draft pick if we lose in Foxboro week 1.

Sometimes I think if I started a poll asking what would fans rather have a winning season and playoff berth or 1st pick, the 1st pick would win. Remember we aren’t going from 1st overall pick to Super Bowl winner. That’s rare , there’s a progression that includes winning games and getting better. If you just always get the #1 pick you turn into Cleveland and Detroit and never do anything. I would consider the 1st overall pick in 2021 a disaster no matter how it happened.

If Miami ends up with the 1st pick in 2021 that would mean you still don't know for sure what you have in Tua, and if that's the case you draft Lawrence let the two battle it out and start the winner and deal the loser for future picks.
That's a good point. I do think Tua gets some game action in 2020, but if you don't know what you have maybe you "double the odds?"

Depends.

If Tua played very poorly and was a huge contributing factor to our getting the first overall pick, then I'm trading him for what I can get and picking Lawrence.

If we are 4-12 but was Tua clearly the best player on a bad team, then I'd trade that pick for a king's ransom and continue to build the team from the inside out. We still badly need another OL or 2 and an elite pass rusher.

IF the team collapsed to the point of earning the 1st pick AND Tua played and picked up another serious injury I would jump on Lawrence.

IF I still was confident Tua was the guy i would get a boatload of picks by moving down, but still getting Sewell from Oregon.

But the Fins will not own the 1st overall pick, they may struggle record wise due to a brutal schedule, but they are clearly a much more talented and deep roster, and Flores showed he can win even with a weak roster.

Worst case scenario for me is another 5-11 and a Top 5-7 pick.

This years Fins team would have gone 8-8 against last years schedule, but the road is much tougher this year.

They will be much improved but the record may not show it.

Back
Top Bottom