What if we wind up with the first pick next year | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if we wind up with the first pick next year

I trust coach will get the most out of everybody and they will surprise a lot of teams and be around break even then kill it in 2021

Not willing to bet money on it though. We shall see.

This scenario is why I think it is so important to play Tua this year at least 8 games.

I don't see it. Maybe if Watson goes down for Houston.

If we did, I'd trade it to Chicago or a franchise that is seemingly allergic to great QB play...sending him to Las Vegas would be good for the league. I'd love to see the Giants get him.

I would take Lawrence and not think twice about it. I am happy Tua is a Dolphin but I see Lawrence as a once in a generation talent. I would let Lawrence and Tua battle it out and trade the loser for a bucketful of picks in the 2022 draft.

When u look at kyle murry last yr. After yr was over. I said he is going be good but he is in rough nfc west conference. He may not enjoying winning.. murry might put up big number and still lose games. Main thing I said he is going be good. That what I want see from Tua after yr one or year 2... dolphins must find qb. Until than u looking at team around 7 to 8 win..than luck season 9 or 10 win than back to 7 to 8 win.. with changing coach every 3 to 4 yr..

Last edited:
If we wind up w number 1 pick next yr. That would be scare. Dolphins must solved there qb position if they want be consistent team in playoff..all good team have good qb. That make playoff every yr In nfl..

What if there isn’t a season? I know nobody even wants to think about it, but how will the draft order be determined?

I would trade down to 2 or 3 and draft LT Penei Sewell from Oregon. He let up 6 QB pressures on 420 drop backs in 2019. He was only “beat” by a pass rusher 7 times all season. I would put him on the right side and swap Hunt in at RG. Pretty much locks up Tua’s blindside for years to come.

To me, the decision would be simple. You draft Lawrence. This allows you to hedge your bets on Tua's injury, have a true QB competition, keep incredible trade bait during mid-season desperation time, and keep a generational talent away from NE and the rest of the AFC East. You practically ensure getting a top 10 starter with either Tua or Lawrence, as it is unlikely that both would bust. This would be a true win win after what must certainly have been an absolute nightmare of a season.

I'll be surprised if we end up with the top pick next year. But, if we do, I suggest we compare the top QB prospect--likely Trevor Lawrence--with Tua and keep the best one. Trade away the other for multiple picks. But, the chances of us getting the top pick next year are almost nil. We deserved the top pick this past year ... but Fitzmagic snatched a tank-failing victory out of the jaws of defeat multiple times (e.g. the Bengals and Patriots), forcing us to slide out of that spot. I can't imagine this year's team is worse than last year's team ... but who knows how injuries will hit us.

I truly believe DeShaun Watson is going to miss Hopkins more than anyone thinks, that he's going to overcompensate, and might well get hurt.

And mark my words; without Deshaun Watson, that team is *******. There are about three or four positions I look at where they're paper-thin. I am of the opinion that with a little bad luck on their part, the Texans are a better bet to give Miami the #1 overall pick.

And if they GET that pick? Holy tapdancing crap. I keep Tua and trade that pick for the largest haul in the history of the NFL.

Because someone will pay that for Lawrence.

Soooo many different variables here. Will there be a CFB season, will Lawrence, Fields and Lance declare, will one of the later 2 get into the conversation or surpass Lawrence. Will a defensive player burst into the convo like Chase Young last year. Will Tua show enough year one to prove he can be the guy? What if he reinjures the hip do we go QB?

If there is CFB and the top prospects end up similar to the guys atop mocks now (spoiler alert they won’t). And Tua shows potential. Then ideally I’m trading back 1-2 spots adding a 2nd and drafting Penei Sewell. If we’re picking first overall it likely means the OL was a disaster. In that case grab one of the best OL prospects in a long time. Then we can rotate Jackson to RT where hopefully he plays better. And Hunt to OG full time if he’s not already playing there.

If we are doing what ifs... Imagine this for a wet dream... Fitz goes down week one Tua takes over and leads us to a second undefeated season and a blowout victory over the Cowboys in the Superbowl... While that happens... Watson goes down with a common cold their locker room implodes and Houston gets the #1 pick... Hmm that's a yummie what if!

I truly believe DeShaun Watson is going to miss Hopkins more than anyone thinks, that he's going to overcompensate, and might well get hurt.

And mark my words; without Deshaun Watson, that team is *******. There are about three or four positions I look at where they're paper-thin. I am of the opinion that with a little bad luck on their part, the Texans are a better bet to give Miami the #1 overall pick.

And if they GET that pick? Holy tapdancing crap. I keep Tua and trade that pick for the largest haul in the history of the NFL.

Because someone will pay that for Lawrence.

I’ve been saying all offseason that HOU is vastly overrated. A playoff team last season, but the difference between 10 wins and 5-6 wins was quite thin. They won a lot of close games via good fortune.

Now they lost an offensive weapon that draws double teams consistently and is a clutch performer in the waning moments of close games.

Even w/o Watson going on an extended absence, I can see that team winning between 4 and 8 games. Their first 7 games is torturous. They may not win any of them.

If Watson does miss extended time, they are surely a candidate for a top 5 pick.

Back
Top Bottom