What increases our chances of a trade down the most? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What increases our chances of a trade down the most?

Do we have to take a receiver from Alabama? Isn't there other quality receivers that can separate and have elite speed and hands? Sit tight at 18 and pick a non-Alabama stud receiver.

Do we have to take a receiver from Alabama? Isn't there other quality receivers that can separate and have elite speed and hands? Sit tight at 18 and pick a non-Alabama stud receiver.
I'm not in favor of any WR not named Calvin Johnson (or the equivalent) top 5, but what does the school they attended have to do with anything?

1. Teams decide to move on from veteran qb's
2. Fields and Wilson impress in their pro days ( and the BCS game for Fields)
3. Lance, Jones, and Trask do not.
4. Watson doesn't get traded.
5. Dolphins manage to create some smokescreen that they are interested in a qb at 3.

Not saying how likely any of these are.

1. Teams decide to move on from veteran qb's
2. Fields and Wilson impress in their pro days ( and the BCS game for Fields)
3. Lance, Jones, and Trask do not.
4. Watson doesn't get traded.
5. Dolphins manage to create some smokescreen that they are interested in a qb at 3.

Not saying how likely any of these are.
#5 we are doing a pretty crappy job of that no? For a tight lipped team we could tell Tua internally we are all in on him but don't need to tell the media and the rest of the world (if that is even the fact). Why not say "the Miami Dolphins football team are going to draft the player that best improves our team and gives us a chance to achieve our goal which is a Superbowl championship in the next couple of year." END STOP Doing otherwise means those QB hungry teams feel we are not looking for a QB with our high pick and puts them in a position of leverage.

The simple answer is quarterback hungry teams. Not trying to be facetious, but we've all seen teams give up a bundle of picks for the chance to draft a franchise quarterback.
yep. That's why I feel if the Jets take Sewell, it leaves Wilson at no.3, which seems the hot qb and qb hungry teams will more likely try to trade up to his. Whereas if Jets take Wilson then might be less likely. SEems like some feel fields might not be seen as a top 5 in this draft now. I guess it's how much a team wants Sewell or bpa at no 3 if Wilson gets picked by Jets

#5 we are doing a pretty crappy job of that no? For a tight lipped team we could tell Tua internally we are all in on him but don't need to tell the media and the rest of the world (if that is even the fact). Why not say "the Miami Dolphins football team are going to draft the player that best improves our team and gives us a chance to achieve our goal which is a Superbowl championship in the next couple of year." END STOP Doing otherwise means those QB hungry teams feel we are not looking for a QB with our high pick and puts them in a position of leverage.
It doesn't really need to matter if teams think dolphins will draft a qb or not. To get in miami's spot is not necessarily to stop miami from drafting the qb instead of that team trying to trade up. But the team to jump ahead the teams ahead of it that could get the qb. Getting to miami's spot allows that team to get the qb ahead of the other teams. For example, if the Lions want to move on from Stafford and want Wilson. And Lions feel Falcons might want Wilson, then Lions would want to get miami's spot to jump above Falcons who are at no.4 just below miami.

If the Jets take a QB, the only team I see possibly moving up to 3 is the Bengals.

Ideally all three of Atl, Phil and Det decide to move on from their high-salary QBs. I think Phil would look for a QB if Hurts were all they had.
I wouldn't be surprised if PHI tries to move Wentz.

And if the HOU saga continues with them going to full rebuild and trading Watson then this takes another turn for the surreal.

Make no mistake, any team wanting to rebuild would probably value Lawrence over all other options.

However, teams in the mid/late round seeking QBs could be eyeing the possibility of Wentz, Ryan and Stafford as stopgaps (ala Philip Rivers) to help bridge them to another draft to target a QB.

That could possibly lead to only a few teams willing to trade up in the draft for a QB. And may possibly devalue any trade offers (less competition).

We need to hope the OT or another premium position needs help build positional value for our pick.

Otherwise, and I'm fine with it, we will be selecting, most likely, the top player on our board.

Dream good problem to have..... Jacksonville doesn't take Lawrence.

How many people on this board would either trade into #1 or #2 to get Lawrence?

Everyone who says they are loyal to Tua can comfortably claim that under the assumption it won't happen... but IF it did... would "loyalty" go out the window?

I will say this....if Meyer gets the job at JAX there is a slim possibility Fields would be seriously considered for his QB. That said, Meyer would be pretty comfy knowing he could trade back to #3 and still get Fields.

And I know JAX will be listening to offers. They would be foolish not to ... especially with the Meyer / Fields connection in play.

Enjoy the dilemma, if even for a minute.

I'm not in favor of any WR not named Calvin Johnson (or the equivalent) top 5, but what does the school they attended have to do with anything?
Because he feels the 'branding' raises the price, independent of player value.
That you can get a player just as talented for a lesser cost because of less fanfare.

If teams think the Jets might take a QB, that will increase the demand for the JETS pick at #2, but might not increase the demand for our pick, so I get your logic. But, if teams rate both Wilson and Fields similarly, they'd be more inclined to talk to us about a trade if our price is less than that of the Jets. Realistically, the Jets will be in the driver's seat, and we will be any trade-up team's fallback choice if they cannot get the Jets pick. I'm assuming those teams have zero chance at getting the #1 pick from the Jags.

But it's worth noting that if Urban Meyer is hired and for some reason he wants Fields, then the Jags might trade back with the Jets or Dolphins to get him and rack up a bunch of other high draft picks. In this scenario, we might actually be the preferred trade partner because we have 4 picks in the top 50. Not saying we'd do it, but we'd have ammo that might make us more attractive than the Jets to the Jags in that scenario.

For just about every other scenario, the Jets will be the preferred trade partner of any QB-hungry team. I seriously doubt the Jets let the world know they'll be drafting Sewell at #2. If they want Sewell, they'll let it be known they're interested in trading back. Otherwise, we'll hear a lot of speculation about the Jets liking one or the other QB. If I had my guess, it would be a lot of Zack Wilson rumors, because lots of teams are interested in him.

It depends on how they’re all doing in the process. If Fields and Wilson explode and look like the guys, then yeah our #3 is a stud.

If two teams love fields and the Jets pass on him, then you’ve got yourself a bidding war.

i have to believe if the Jets are passing on BOTH QBs, were in trouble because it shows the QBs aren’t super valuable

Everyone here should be rooting for the buckeyes Monday. Unless you are an Alabama fan, in which case, fvck Nick Saban.

Back
Top Bottom