What increases our chances of a trade down the most? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What increases our chances of a trade down the most?

Justin Fields is the guy that will bring the most interest.
I think Fields and the New York Jets are the key. Jacksonville will take Trevor Lawrence. If the Jets take Sewell, there will be many teams looking to trade up to get Fields. We could come out of this very nice.

We have teams like Atlanta, Carolina, San Francisco, possibly Detroit who will be looking for a quarterback. If any of them fall in love with Fields as a must have, we win.

Availability or scarcity?

Everyone seems to think we'd get better value and more offers if the Jets take Sewell.

IMO it's the other way around, IMO scarcity gives us a better shot and value in trade.

Our best trade down scenario is if the Jets new HC and FO take a QB.

There are only 4 viable 1st rd QBs (Mac or Trask might sneak into the late first)

If other teams in the top 10 like Car don't see any of them falling to them we'll have more and better offers than if they think at least Lance will make it to them.

Pro days and combine.

Tape.

The draft boards are not static and alot will change.

It's like a car auction, you need multiple bidders for your car. The more people you have intersted in the the pick, the better the value.

I also believe we could be targeting a Bama WR at 18 to give Tua a familiar target. But 18 may be too late for Waddle or Smith. So, this might factor into any trade scenarios; we might be interested in moving up from 18.
Should Miami miss on Waddle or Smith; there is always Rondale Moore (Purdue) at 2a.

I think Fields and the New York Jets are the key. Jacksonville will take Trevor Lawrence. If the Jets take Sewell, there will be many teams looking to trade up to get Fields. We could come out of this very nice.

We have teams like Atlanta, Carolina, San Francisco, possibly Detroit who will be looking for a quarterback. If any of them fall in love with Fields as a must have, we win.
There is the possibility that Jville hires Urban Meyer & drafts Fields.

There is the possibility that Jville hires Urban Meyer & drafts Fields.
I've seen this rumor going around, but only in the context of complete speculation.

Has there been anything tangible linking the two?

I only ask because a collegiate HC, with zero NFL experience, is almost never sucessful. Jimmy being the lone exception I can think of.

Surely the Jag's owner and GM are aware of this.

Should Miami miss on Waddle or Smith; there is always Rondale Moore (Purdue) at 2a.
I personally wonder how valuable pre-existing chemistry would weigh into our selection priority for Waddle or Smith.

I suspect we could looking at drafting a minimum of 2 and possibly 3 WRs this year.

Also, some of that is reflective on how Flo/Grier rely on our ability to identify and develop RBs. I don't think Flo/Grier prioritize RB as a high salary commitment (1 contract and done), but if there Harris @ 18 is probably one of the scenarios that would let them consider investing in a RB. Otherwise, I think we will look for the hot hand and next guy up at that position.

Regardless how it plays out, I feel Flo and Grier will value pairing Tua with one of Harris/Smith/Waddle and possibly 2 if the opportunity presents.

There are OT hungry teams too
But they would never give up as much as a QB hungry team. The question was "what would increase our chance of a trade down the most?" The answer is clearly having a coveted QB there at #3. I don't know if the best scenario is having the last of the top three QBs available or having two QBs available is. I see that as the crux of the question, scarcity vs. availability.

Scarcity: It's a standard sales ploy: "supplies won't last, act now!" If there's just one top QB then you better pay top dollar now or you'll miss out.

Availability: Not every team will love every QB equally. Some teams may prefer Fields and be willing to trade up for him but less likely to do so for Wilson and vis a versa. More potential buyers can drive up your price, create a bidding war. Or it could have the opposite effect. A team likes both and would be fine with either one so there's less urgency to trade up to our specific spot.

The Jets are taking a qb at #2, Sam Darnold is the worst in the NFL. Stats wise and with the eye test. There is not a team in the NFL that needs a qb more than the Jets. Minshew has better career highlights and much better career stats, Darnold has been in the league 3 yrs and has done nothing. If we had the weapons Sam had this yr in NY Crowder, Mims, Perriman,Herndon and Bell. We would be in the playoffs. Gase sucked for the Jets but a star will still shine once in awhile. The Jets GM would not answer whether or not Sam would be the Jets qb next yr.

Fields will generate the most interest, but I'm sure there will be teams who have Wilson ranked higher. They're close enough.

The Bengals seem enarmored enough with Sewell to give up something like their high 2 to jump from 5 to 3. They're desperate for blindside protection for their franchise QB. But we'd really have to make them feel like we are going to take him. If we trade down, QB could 1, 2, 3, 4 and Bengals are good at 5. Atlanta isn't a threat at 4 for Sewell, but they are for Wilson/Fields.

We're in a sweet spot. Teams needing a QB will feel the urge to jump Atlanta. We will absolutely have multiple options.

I am very against staying at 3, but also 100% against moving down out of Chase/Smith range. Eagles probably take 1 at 6. We need to stay in that range to ensure the other.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom