What is Brian Flores Worth? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is Brian Flores Worth?

Was Shula actually traded, or wasn't there some sort of tampering/collusion implied, and the NFL awarded the Colts our pick? Or the NFL was going to void the deal to Miami so we gave Baltimore a pick to keep the deal in place?
I am blanking on how that went.
The Gruden exchange with the Raiders and Tampa Bay was 2002, I believe. To me at my age, that is kind of recently.

Was Shula actually traded, or wasn't there some sort of tampering/collusion implied, and the NFL awarded the Colts our pick? Or the NFL was going to void the deal to Miami so we gave Baltimore a pick to keep the deal in place?
I am blanking on how that went.
The Gruden exchange with the Raiders and Tampa Bay was 2002, I believe. To me at my age, that is kind of recently.

Thanks, you are correct about it being compensation, rather than part of a deal. Here's a quote from Wikipedia about it:

After the 1969 season, Joe Robbie, owner of the Miami Dolphins, signed Shula to a contract to become Miami's second head coach. As a result of Shula's signing, the team was charged with tampering by the NFL, which forced the Dolphins to give their first-round pick to the Colts.[43] The decision was controversial because Shula and Robbie's negotiations and signing were conducted before and after the official NFL/AFL merger, respectively. Had the negotiations been concluded before the merger, while the NFL and AFL were rivals, the NFL's antitampering rules could not have been applied.

Gruden went for two firsts I believe..

you know the phrase “everyone has a price tag”??

not Flores imo..and that’s because I believe he has modern day Lombardi qualities..
I like Flores but easy with the Lombardi name now. How about we wait till he makes the playoffs just once?

Rest assured that whatever Flores may be worth on the open market, he is worth a helluva lot more to The Phins! 5-4 which might well have been 6-3 if not for that late bogus league penalty call with this ragtag roster is worth more to us than any unproven college QB with or without durability issues.

Gruden went for two firsts I believe..

you know the phrase “everyone has a price tag”??

not Flores imo..and that’s because I believe he has modern day Lombardi qualities..
Yeah but he doesn’t have Lombardi’s accent so he’s no where near worth as much. “You gedda seal hee-uh and a seal dah-uh”

Agree, except wasn't it Grier who acquired Flores in the first place? Shouldn't it then follow that he'd be the one accepting or rejecting offers for him?

Yes and no. Here is the problem with the GM/Coach dynamic. When a GM hires a coach and that coach is a great hire, the coach becomes the boss.

There is no way around that.

Coaches either get fired or they get the final say, eventually. Unless you have strong ownership that knows the game. Coaches, by nature, need to be in charge.

Adam Gase was in charge from the second he got here, his big problem was the lack of respect for ownership. Gase was given the respect that never earned. I think if AG wanted to keep his job, he could’ve. He knew a rebuild was in order and just didn’t want to go through. He quit, long before he was fired.

He is worth whatever Ross is willing to pay him. As a 2nd head HC with a 5-11 record in his only season as a HC, I suspect he might be worth a 7th round pick if another organization wanted to trade for him. Gase and Sparano were both worth a lot more after their first year in Miami because they both took the Dolphins to the playoffs in their first season as Dolphin head coaches.

Just like with draft picks, it usually takes 3 years to determine the value of a player. The same for head coaches in most cases and I will wait to see how he develops as a head coach before I determine his real value to the Dolphins.

He is off to good start to helping get this franchise heading in the right direction. I think him and Grier and the rest of the front office reload this roster with even more talent in the draft. I wish Brian lots of success and many years coaching the Dolphins.

He is off to good start to helping get this franchise heading in the right direction. I think him and Grier and the rest of the front office reload this roster with even more talent in the draft. I wish Brian lots of success and many years coaching the Dolphins.
This. Say what you will but we had the roster of a 1-15 or 2-14 team last year. Had to be coaching because it surely was not talent. Now he has to take the momentum and crank it up a notch. We need our QB. Fitz is a great guy but a lousy QB (as a starter). The culture change every coach we’ve brought in who talked about it - well, Flores has done it. Just look at FA - no one told us “yeah right”. Players want to be here. They aren’t stupid. Well, most of them. They see something building and the opportunity to be part of it. I think coach is for real but it is early. I get it.

Back
Top Bottom