What is Ogun's problem? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is Ogun's problem?

dolfan87

The Human Bullet
Reaction score
Something has been bothering me for quite some time, and I want to ask your guys' opinion on it.

Why is Ogun complaining about the nearly 2 million dollar tender? He was undrafted, had a couple solid years, and is set to make almost 2 mill in ONE season, and then be an unrestriced F.A. next year.

Anyone else think that maybe he is being a little cry baby, and should just honor his contract and wait for his big pay day like Chambers is doing?

C.C. could do the very same thing, as he is making WAYYY les than 2 mill this season, and he is our number 1 receiver. He isn't talking hold out, he is just going to play, and then make a butt load of money in 2005.

I think it's ridiculas, and while I like O-gun as a person, this whole thing is putting a sour taste in my mouth about him.

2 MILLION dollars... :rolleyes:

Nope.

This is two differnet situations completely. Chris Chambers is still under contract. He is not a restricted free agent. Adewale Ogunleye is a restricted free agent that is simply looking for a long term deal. Signing a one year tender offer gives him no security long term, and the only thing it would guarantee is that Miami will likely restrict him next year by putting the franchise tag on him.

What's Miami's problem here? They have the best young defensive end in football and could have locked him up last year when he was an exclusive rights free agent at a much lower price than what they will have to pay now. There shouldn't be any problem over giving Ogunleye a deal worth around $42 million over 6 years. He's more than worth it and will be a Pro Bowl defensive end for a very long time.

I think Ogunleye deserves more than 1.8 million dollars, but the rules are that he was a RFA and that the Dolphins don't have to give him more than 1.8 million dollars. If the Dolphins only want to give Ogunleye a one year deal, he should just shut up and play for the tender. He will only hurt himself by sitting out the first 10 games.

iceblizzard69 said:
I think Ogunleye deserves more than 1.8 million dollars, but the rules are that he was a RFA and that the Dolphins don't have to give him more than 1.8 million dollars. If the Dolphins only want to give Ogunleye a one year deal, he should just shut up and play for the tender. He will only hurt himself by sitting out the first 10 games.

I want to open by saying I agree that Wale only hurts himself by holding out. I think the Dolphins will sweeten the tender a bit with whatever leftover money they don't need to retain, and Wale will play.

The point I want to make is that the rules dictate that the Dolphins don't have to give him more than the $1.8 million and that Wale doesn't have to play more than 6 games for them in order to get his year in. All parties are perfectly within their rights. Wale gets to make his choice. Note that I said Wale, not Drew. That is because it all comes down to Wale. Drew is simply his employee. That's what I think is so damn funny about all this talk about how Rosenhaus is the devil. If you don't like what Drew is doing, you have to blame his client.

O-Gun isnt a bad DE, he is actually pretty good. The only reason I am saying he is pretty good despite leading the AFC in Sacks last year, is the fact that our DE's playing opposite Jason over the last several seasons have looked AWESOME until they go somewhere else. Trace Armstrong led the AFC in sacks also if Im not mistaken before he left for the Raiders and did nothing. Mixon played a season and then went to Minnesota. Maybe O-Gun is the real deal maybe he isnt ... personally I think he is better than any end we have had playing opposite JT.

If he was interested in trying to make a mark in the NFL with his prowse as a DE instead of just trying to cash in (Dont, get me wrong, Would be tough not to try to cash in after the way everybody has overpayed for DE's this off season) then he should want to stay in Miami then the tandem of JT and O-Gun would be unstoppable.

But when you think about it ... all your hearing is remarks by his agent. O-Gun is staying quiet (at least I havent heard anything he has said) and it is the agents job to look out for his client. So until O-Gun starts talking Ill hold on to any judgement for or against him.

Im sure the way Ogun see it is that he has once realistic chance to get a big signing bonus. He is a relatively late bloomer and will probably only get this one big contract over the course of his career. He knows he is worth the money that Winstrom got and there is no reason for him to risk playing a season and getting injured at the 1.8 mil tender. He would lower is value far more if he substained a serious injury than if he held out and didnt play this year. This guy has been outproducing most DE's in the league over the past two years and has gotten payed next to nothing for it.

Adewale deserves to get a big money contract. Football is a business. If you bust your tail at work, and the company you work for reaps many benefits from it, you're sure as hell entitled to more money, because you worked for it. The same qualities asked of employees in Corporate America apply to football.

If a player comes in and posts double digit sacks in consecutive seasons, gets elected to the Pro Bowl, etc., he has met and exceeded many goals asked of him as an employee of the Miami Dolphins.

The only defensive ends that have collected sacks opposite Jason Taylor are Trace Armstron and Adewale Ogunleye. Trace was a very good pass rusher before he came to Miami, so Jason Taylor didn't suddenly make Trace a great pass rusher.

Kenny Mixon had a total of 6.5 sacks in 4 years playing opposite Jason Taylor. Lorenzo Bromell and Rich Owens got the bulk of their pass rush playing DT on third downs.

It is a fact that Miami hasn't had a defensive end the caliber of Ogunleye opposite Jason Taylor, and it is a fact that having Ogunleye on that side has helped Jason Taylor become a better player.

You will see a tremendous drop off from Adewale Ogunleye to Jay Williams/David Bowens/Otis Grigsby/Aaron Hunt/Ronald Flemons if they trade Ogunleye. Not only will it effect the DLE spot, but it will effect JT on the other side as well.

Ogun was undrafted, has been busting his a$$ for a few years and hasn't gottn paid while he has seen his defensive teammates and other defensive ends walk away with huge packages. He has been saying for a few seasons that the Fins D makes all the money but that they got him for a bargain. He wants a big package, deserves one, and he will get one, either from the Fins (hopefully) or another team.
It is a fallacy to say that he was the AFC sack leader because of JT. Look back at game-tape, JT was NOT double-teamed as much as people think, also JT is coming from the QB's blindside and Ogun was rushing the QB's face. It is fair to say that Ogun and JT made each other better. We need to re-sign Ogun, he will be a talented producer when half of the current defense has retired

Also, Rosenhaus is such a powerful agent that he influences the actions his clients take...JJ always had a hard time with Rosenhaus, a clash of personalities. Rosenhaus does not care as much about his clients careers as he does about getting the big payday personally, so I think he would advise Ogun to do something -convince him even -that could potentially harm his career

I think he deserves at least 2.7, I also think he might take that salary if we offered it to him. Thought if he doesn't I'm willing to go as high as 3.5 for him.

No, he is not being a cry baby. Welcome to the NFL. EVERYONE is in it for the money.

KBISBACK said:
Nope.

This is two differnet situations completely. Chris Chambers is still under contract. He is not a restricted free agent. Adewale Ogunleye is a restricted free agent that is simply looking for a long term deal. Signing a one year tender offer gives him no security long term, and the only thing it would guarantee is that Miami will likely restrict him next year by putting the franchise tag on him.

What's Miami's problem here? They have the best young defensive end in football and could have locked him up last year when he was an exclusive rights free agent at a much lower price than what they will have to pay now. There shouldn't be any problem over giving Ogunleye a deal worth around $42 million over 6 years. He's more than worth it and will be a Pro Bowl defensive end for a very long time.

The problem here at the moment is about 6.5 mil under the cap. Out of that, subtract the rookie pool, which presently doesn't look to be a whole lot other then for carey, and any 6/1 cuts we may be looking for/at. Then whatever is left, we can look to use that to extend CC and resign Ogun with. Who knows, maybe we'll wind up dealing OGun yet during the draft.

Back
Top Bottom