What is our cap situation? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is our cap situation?

IAFINFAN

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Salary Cap

I saw on ESPN that Miami is only 2.5mil below the cap right now. Is this what we have left including signing draft picks?

With 3J getting dealt I read that saves us like $550K, but RW will want to get his deal redone, and yet people still say Miami isn't done wih FA.

With OK resigining with Chicago where does this leave Miami in terms of the Victor Greens, and Brock Marion?

Kinda of a retard when it comes to the cap, so any help would be appreciated!

Well since we only have one third rounder and a fourth rounder (I think we only got a fourth from NO) we won't need to spend a lot of money on our picks, so the cap won't be a problem in that situation, but it will pose a problem in trying to sign other players.

I hope we sign Ricky Williams to a nice contract. He deserves it. Would you hate if the dolphins waited for till Ricky Williams becomes a free agent. Do you think we will be able to afford some other great players like parrish?

yes, but signing marion today will probably wipe out that 2.5 mil. I think we will have to cut a couple more if we want to sign draft picks. Or we can always renegotiate their deals.

Nah, Brock isnt getting 2.5 mill. The FIns are smart when it comes to the cap. The first year is the cheapest.

I can see bumping him up a slight bit this year and if he produces (of course he will), treat him to a relatively cheap, but substantially larger, deal somewhere in the range of 2 - 2.5 mil for the remainder of his contract. Seriously, that contract his so-called agent got for him is ridiculous. Just to make the guy feel better and encouraged, I'd bump him to maybe 3/4 mil this year.

The Dolphins don't plan to renegotiate, Wannstedt said.

from http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news/ap/20020308/ap-saints-dolphins-rickywilliams-trade.html
And they'll no longer have to worry about the prickly issue of Williams' contract. The eight-year deal, negotiated by rapper Master P.'s agency after the Saints made Williams the No. 5 pick in 1999, contains large incentives but low base salaries, including just $350,000 this season.

``It's a contract that's unique in the annals of NFL history,'' said Leigh Steinberg, now Williams' agent. ``It's a contract that cries out for renegotiation.''

The Dolphins don't plan to renegotiate, Wannstedt said.

``That has not been discussed. That's not part of the deal,'' he said. ``Ricky and Leigh Steinberg know that if you come in and contribute and help the Dolphins win games, you're going to be taken care of.''

Personally, I think EVERY PLAYER should have a contract like Feidler and Williams. Make them EARN the money!! :yell:

Originally posted by miadphan13
Personally, I think EVERY PLAYER should have a contract like Feidler and Williams. Make them EARN the money!! :yell:
Fiedler's - YES, Ricky got the shaft. If you catch 60 passes and run for 1200+ yards you should be damn well paid. But hey!, he'll make his he's only 24 :D

Seriously, the production he gave them, he's now going into his fourth year, and he's scheduled to make under $450K. That's pretty hard core. I recall waaaaaaay back when he signed the thing, he had huge incentive bonuses, but they were set so high, the only person who had ever achieved the production # to trigger the bonuses was Eric Dickerson. So, ya, I'd bump him up just a little to encourage him. Next year, if he produces like we believe he can, we can treat him better and still have him for a STEAL at somewhere around 2 - 2.5 year plus incentives.

[edited to include the exact salary figure which I would not be having to edit into this post if I had followed the link in the immediately preceding post] :D

Ricky wont get an extension this year, but he will next year. He's well worth it, & we dont need to pi*s him off.

this sounds cool

Williams hopes to lose (salary) numbers
The Dolphins' conditioning program begins April 1, "and Ricky will be there," Steinberg said. "Ricky is entirely enthusiastic about the trade, about being there and is totally looking forward to it. This just happens to be the strangest, most aberrational contract in recent NFL history."

Back
Top Bottom