What is the most important aspect of drafting a player? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is the most important aspect of drafting a player?

Addition:

i think Alex Smith can step in quicker thant he usual QB due to the similarities in the system.

not my pick, ill take BPA in Edwards and take Campbell if we get a pcik later in the draft

For a team that is rebuilding immediate impact should not be a big factor. Drafting well to me means 5 years down the road looking at whether or not those players are contributing on your team. If in 5 years Aaron Rogers, Alex Smith, or Braylon Edwards (who each play a position where it will probably take a few years to develop) are Pro Bowl caliber players I would take that over say Benson or Brown (who play in a position where players contribute earlier) who played well early and are above average, but not on the same level as the prior players. This team isn't going to challenge for the Super Bowl for a few years so whoever is going to be the best player when we do challenge is the player that needs to be picked.

inFINSible said:
It's been said many times by Saban himself that the most important aspect of having a successful franchise is to draft well.

What does draft well mean?

I think the most important aspect of drafting a player is finding players that can play from the moment they step foot on the team. Especially in the first round.

Why, because their pay rate dictates that they play immediately.

Nothing could be worse for your salary cap than to have a 3 million dollar player sitting on the bench. It is vitally important that these players get on the field as soon as possible.

Traditionally, one of the easiest positions to transfer to the NFL and start from day one, is a defensive lineman or TE. Think about that for a moment....think around the league at how many TEs have been drafted in the first round and have started immediately.....Think about how many defensive linemen have stepped into a starting role their rookie season.

Now, take a look at New England's first round draft picks since 2000....3 defensive lineman and 1 TE.....coincidence, I don't think so.

Conversely NE has not drafted a QB before the 3rd round in any draft since BB has been in charge. Even when Bledsoe was their QB. Why, because QBs need time to develop and paying one 3+ million dollars a year to do that is bad cap management.

So, in closing, if my theory is correct, Saban would like nothing more than to trade down into Marcus Spears(just throwing that name out there to make the point) territory but, if that's not possible, he'll chose the player most likely to start immediately, with the second pick.

That would have to be one of the RBs.

Do you agree that the most important aspect of drafting, is to find players that can play as soon as possible? That seems pretty cut and dried to me but, I'm curious to know if any of you see it another way.

The Patriots haven't drafted a quarterback above the third round because they haven't needed one. They simply caught lightening in a bottle with Tom Brady, and for some reason, people think that finding stud quarterbacks in the later rounds is the norm now.

There are a few rules to drafting:

1. Never pass on the franchise quarterback when you have the opportunity and currently don't have one.
2. Draft the best player available....stay true to your board.
3. Don't get caught into the mindset of drafting for now. You may reach for a player that you believe will give you an immediate impact and pass on a player that will be much better for you four years down the road.

I'd also add a few things like the value positions. The value positions are quarterback, offensive tackle, defensive line, and cornerback. I'd also put more value on players that can do more than one thing, with the exception of the quarterback position. That's because a quarterback absolutely has to be a passer. I don't even take mobility into account if the passer can't complete at least 56% of his throws at the college level.

KB21 said:
The Patriots haven't drafted a quarterback above the third round because they haven't needed one. They simply caught lightening in a bottle with Tom Brady, and for some reason, people think that finding stud quarterbacks in the later rounds is the norm now.

1. Never pass on the franchise quarterback when you have the opportunity and currently don't have one.
3. Don't get caught into the mindset of drafting for now. You may reach for a player that you believe will give you an immediate impact and pass on a player that will be much better for you four years down the road.

I'd also add a few things like the value positions. The value positions are quarterback, offensive tackle, defensive line, and cornerback. I'd also put more value on players that can do more than one thing, with the exception of the quarterback position. That's because a quarterback absolutely has to be a passer. I don't even take mobility into account if the passer can't complete at least 56% of his throws at the college level.

One problem Keith....there's no franchise QB's early in this draft...Frye is as close as you will get in the early rounds....and there's always gold in them hills...if you know what to look for....and have the patience.

fishypete said:
...Frye is as close as you will get in the early rounds...

:roflmao:

You've been down in them mines too long buddy.

I agree with Fishypete. Well except for Frye but he could be right I dont know!

fishypete said:
One problem Keith....there's no franchise QB's early in this draft...Frye is as close as you will get in the early rounds....and there's always gold in them hills...if you know what to look for....and have the patience.
That just simply isn't true. While these QB's may not be the prospect that Eli Manning was they are still very good. If they werent they wouldn't be competing for the #1 pick and Tampa wouldn't be chomping at the bit to get one of them no matter how strong the draft is. QB's with a first round grade are have franchise QB potential and these guys would without a doubt be first round QB's in any draft, probably the first half of the first round.

We talk about BPA, future impace, rebuilding.

I'm fine if we go 0-16. However, I think we can draft for the future, and have a legitimate spot at playoffs next year.

Williams and edwards are the best players in the draft! I know, their recievers, and alot of you say why. We have chambers and bookers. It looks like we'll be running alot of 3 wr sets, chambers is our long guy, our draft pick I feel would be our impact reciever, and booker is our possesion reciever.

QB, 2nd round, Jason Cambell. There are also a few other QB's who could have both an imediate impact and future impact available in 2nd and 3rd rounds who will end up being just as good, if not better than smith. I'm not sold on smith at all!!! Plus, do we really know what feely can do when not playing wanny ball?

RB, everybody wants to get a rb with our #2. WHY???? I say RB in first round only in this situation, which I don't think will happen. Trade down with bucks. Then trade down with minnesota cause they fear we will take the last WR of the big two.

We can get a fine RB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

So maybe the trick is to draft a player who has good long term value for your team, but also the talent to make an immediate impact (even if it's just on special teams). You just never know what you're going to get in the draft and I think that's why Saban isn't against the idea of trading down to a spot where the player won't command such a high price. The more you pay a player, the better he should be. With the amount of money involved there really isn't much room for error at the #2 spot.

inFINSible said:
It's been said many times by Saban himself that the most important aspect of having a successful franchise is to draft well.

What does draft well mean?

I think the most important aspect of drafting a player is finding players that can play from the moment they step foot on the team. Especially in the first round.

That's exactly what I think is the most important thing too. Well said!

KB21 said:

Here are my rules.

1)With your first round selections, make sure you get players that can play and contribute immediately, the salary cap doesn't allow for 3 million dollar players to ride the bench. (If you choose a QB, he MUST be starting by his second season)

2)Choose a game changing athlete whenever possible. The NFL is all about match-ups, you're looking for freaks that can win theirs.

3) Draft for NOW, if you don't, you won't be here 4 years down the road, when the "talent" finally shows up.

Back
Top Bottom